Roon 1.8 will be Live on ….?

For those with experience, how do Roon updates impact Roon-ready products? I recently acquired a Mytek Brooklyn Bridge and I’m curious what will happen with its integration into my Roon network when the upgrade hits.

1 Like

No one outside of Roon, their partners and the beta testers knows what the update will bring regarding to changes and functionalities.

But usually it‘s about features that impact the core and the remotes, not the endpoints (where it’s about the Roon Ready RAAT SDK, which is handled within firmware updates of the endpoint manufacturer).

With all the updates I witnessed (3 years now), the endpoints just kept working without any glitches (in my system).

1 Like

Guess they will wait till mid January for the release

It’ll be February 17th at 07:00 GST.

So are we starting a pool or something? Put me down for $5 on Feb. 14. Happy Valentines Day from Roon to you!

I put €20 on a March 17th release.

.sjb :shamrock:

2 Likes

Roon Radio definitely has a LOT of room for improvement. There are still so many potential fixes / upgrades:

• Ability to make a station based on multiple inputs: a playlist, several songs / artists / albums, mixed genres…

• Option to make the stations more diverse / eclectic / deep tracks

• Fix the repetitiveness of stations (it tends to repeat artists heavily once you get past the first 20-30 — if you don’t listen to a station for more than 2 hours or don’t pay attention, you might not notice it)

• Add an option to save stations to listen again later. Then be able to combine these saved stations into mega stations.

• Add option to ban artists or specific tracks for a particular station or for all of my stations

• Improve the general algorithm to include a bigger mix of related material on each station. There is so much that is being left out right now.

That’s just a few off the top of my head…

6 Likes

I hope not, that’s my Irish partner’s birthday as well, no chance of playing with the new release that day.

1 Like

I also hope 1.8 brings lock screen control to iOS devices. It’s so annoying that this feature is missing. I shouldn’t have to unlock my phone, switch to the Roon app, and wait a second or two for the app to refresh itself, just to change the volume or pause a track.

15 Likes

1.8? Between Jan 8th and August 1st :slight_smile:

2 Likes

1st day of 2nd quarter 2021

End of 1st quarter 2021 in IT language.

Which means somewhen this summer in human language.

1 Like

Very happy with 1.7.

2 Likes

Agree, and put it a simple remote on the Apple Watch as well!

2 Likes

I think the time needed depends on how big the update is.
I don’t know how big the earlier updates where, but being new to Roon and still comparing to for instance BlueSound or Sonos I guess Roon wants to make a big jump in the amount of services that can be coupled (Spotify and many other streaming services). This would make Roon live up to the promise as being the single point of entry for all the content one has available.
As I understand it, this may have profound implications on the Roon software.

I wouldn’t hold your breath for Spotify (no inside knowledge) This has been discussed in depth, Roon would need allowed access for proper integration.

2 Likes

I will only be playing “The Black Stuff” that day !

4 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Why I will not buy Roon

Most likely, on a Thursday. A Wednesday would be a bit less likely, a Tuesday or a Monday are possible, if less likely still. A Friday, Saturday or Sunday would be unprecedented.

3 Likes

I don’t think @Michael_Jones1 was concerned with the weekday of the release… rather with the month, year or aeon… :rofl:

2 Likes