Roon 2.0.7 New Content Sources (aka Wikipedia integration)

All the content from my info tab on all artists has gone, I can still see it in Arc strangely enough

Very interesting, appreciate the information.

I do hope you’re paying Wikipedia and would encourage all Roon users to contribute regularly and generously!

4 Likes

Unbelievably great feature… thank you Roonies!

I’m sorry have to double down so I’m back. I’m completely blown away by this, I remember when the big graphics overhaul happened and talk about the concept of Roon being something like a digital audio music playing magazine. That all sounded great… and now it’s really happening!

This is really nice.

9 Likes

I had this excitement too when it was new in earlyaccess, with one sleight of hand Roonlabs added so much value, and it’s quite nicely done and integrated. Congrats.

I did switch back to TiVo default though, and it made me appreciate it more. Many Wikipedia pages start so dryly, like “XY is an American band founded by AB, BC, and CD”, telling me nothing. I find myself getting a better idea with TiVo about unknown artists or albums in the first few sentences. WP is fabulous for the details and facts, though, and the non-English sources add so much content that was just not there.

2 Likes

I have two subscriptions that matter more to me than all others (it’d be three, but I get Roon for free as a perk of the job! :wink:):

The first is Youtube Premium family plan, and the second is a monthly donation to Wikipedia. Both give me the joy of learning and amazement about the world around me.

You can learn more about their subscription here: https://donate.wikimedia.org/wiki/Ways_to_Give#Monthly_gift

13 Likes

It’s great to have options right?

I know TiVo is a valued Roon partner… but I listen to and enjoy some pretty off the wall music. It used to bug me a bit to see some negative review on some obscure album I really liked. So I switched off TiVo entirely!

:slight_smile:

Anyway I think the way they implemented this - to give a choice to us - is just fantastic. Because different folks are always going to have different perspectives.

Big fan of this update!

4 Likes

Same here, and yes. UK journalists not “getting” obscure German or Austrian bands is hilarious to aggravating. What I would love to have would be a sticky option, to choose different defaults for certain artists/albums.

Options are great. But the WP language is just too factual for me as the default. They want to be an encyclopedia, so this is fine and I appreciate having it at my fingertips. But for my favorite Band, Sonic Youth, this is Tivo:

And WP:

The Tivo version tells me what the music is about, the WP version is a laundry list of facts, after the first paragraph I know nothing but the lineup without any context.

1 Like

Not seeing the new apps in iOS App Store in the uk even searching apps they don’t show

I guess I’m a laundry list type of guy… And I’m good with that!

2 Likes

Touché! Glad to hear that. PS I’m a longtime contributor and there’s been a Wikipedia entry on me even longer–and there’s no connection between the two!

1 Like

This update actually prompted me to donate to wiki…

4 Likes

Good on you! One of the best things about the Internet

1 Like

Same here too

Not seeing any of this new content. I upgraded Roon Remote and Core that is running on a Nucleus. I do see the editorial sources in settings with the first 4 turned on but nothing when viewing albums. I am using iPad and version shows as 1167.

Not correct.

Once you have it, you will see the default first, which is probably still TiVo. Go to Settings > General to configure them. Then you need to first expand the description:

2 Likes

I rebooted my iPad and did the update for Remote in the App store and all is good now!

2 Likes

With all these new editorial sources, it’s going to be quite an effort now to focus on the music :grinning: - A great complement to my listening experience. Thanks.

3 Likes

I can’t see how to enable this Wikipedia integration - can’t see “Editiorial Sources”. RTFM which says You can customize your Roon experience by adjusting the settings in “Settings > General > Editorial Sources” to determine which sources to use.
I’ve tried this on iPhone Remote 2.0 1182 and Windows Remote 2.0 1182. On the latter this is what I see under “Settings > General”

Rob, have you updated your ROON CORE installation ?

1 Like