Roon 2.0 and internet connectivity [it's just like 1.8 now]

I think is just north of 100k. Once people start to experience no music whenever there’s a temporary glitch in connection you will see this fire burning.

1 Like

I am cool with that.

Using the word “vexatious” is obtrusive.

2 Likes

In my opinion Roon is a luxury brand. Luxury brands recognize that 50 unhappy customers can often grow to 500 and to 5000. They also recognize that any unhappy customer could be the one that makes an impact on the image of the company. Roon has always been sensitive to addressing their users concerns and have been generally good in fixing problems. I think and hope that if people respectfully explain why offline functionality materially matters, they can and will address the concern.

it’s close to 300k now.

I never gave these numbers, you are guessing… but your guess is pretty damn good! So far, out of ~300k users, 40% are using 2.0 already.

About 200 users are on legacy 1.8, and most are running old Macs or PCs that can’t take the 2.0 update due to minimum OS version requirements being bumped up.

During very ample testing with thousands of early access users for many months, this internet-required issue never came up. Not once.

6 Likes

@danny
how refreshing to be told to just buzz off by a company you have supported for some time.
Answer the dam question…how long will local files play when denied internet access and how much is the functionality reduced?

Well it would have if I had had an internet outage during this time and my Roon stopped immediately working. It seems that nobody had an outage (or that it’s not true that it requires it at all times), that’s a great sign for the internet quality today. But someone will.

1 Like

It might not have come up because, if people had outage, Roon 2.0 beta continued to play music, like Roon 2.0 does.

1 Like

This may be the 4th time I’ve said it: Zero minutes. You may find it to be longer, but different things will break at different and unpredictable times. You should not rely on 2.0 working without internet access.

Use 1.8 Legacy if you need offline access.

You have to assume that more will install it and that some will switch back once they experience an outage. So were it fluctuates from 40% over time will be interesting. It is very curious that there was never a mention of off-line functionality in “many months of testing.” However, I don’t know the size of your test group or its geographic distribution. I do know that 60% of users have not migrated to 2.0 yet and that a couple of hundred have voted with their download and expressed a non-frivolous concern that you should treat with seriousness and not dismissively. And those numbers are not as clear they appear. I have not installed 1.8 legacy but I am also not upgrading to 2.0 because of the off-line issue. Eventually the 1.8 legacy number will grow. Roon has earned its valuable brand please protect it and consider what minor changes can be made to address this concern.

1 Like

I am not trying to stir the pot here, but 2.0 only came out yesterday. I’d assume that there’s a lot of busy people out there that haven’t had the time, or the cautious people that don’t take a full new release and wait for the “2.1” version.

True, but it just means that the numbers after such a short time don’t yet support wide-ranging conclusions either way. Not many people have had the chance to experience an outage since yesterday 16:00 UTC either :slight_smile:

What does
“Roon Core requires active internet connection”
mean in the 2.0 release?

If my ISP goes down (which it does regularly, sigh) will that stop Roon from working inside my house using my local NAS server to access audio files?

(and yes, I saw the announcement but that doesn’t really answer my question)

If it does, how do I revert back to 1.8? I don’t want my audio inside my house to be dependent on an external internet connection?

3 Likes

this seems like a change far beyond incremental improvement and more like a quantitative change to “look and feel” far in excess of your customer’s expectation and agreement to terms implied when purchasing a lifetime subscription…

I suspect that adoption rates for Roon have been very high traditionally because of the nag screens. Roon has purposely not encouraged users to stay on old revisions. In this case 200 people took the trouble to transit to a different version 80k clicked upgrade. We’ll see where the numbers end up over the next few days. Another option people have is to use a backup piece of software to play music when the internet is down. That is really not good for roon for varoius reasona that I am sure their marketing team would appreciate. We’ll see how this goes and how Roon corporate handles the situation.

Local music no longer playing after just shy of 4 hours offline. Roon remotes did begin misbehaving shortly before that. Danny said zero seconds, so I’m going with his word on that.

5 Likes

Thank you for this reply. For my part, this is basically what I wanted to hear. What I’m hearing is that Roon cannot commit to 2.0 working offline because, whilst it might work, it might break as soon as offline listening is attempted, or it might break at any point, the timing of which cannot be predicted.

I’m happy to use 1.8 Legacy until support ends and then upgrade to 2.0, whilst keeping other music playing services as a back up. Hopefully, in the event of internet outage, I’ll be lucky and Roon will continue working until my internet is restored.

Currently I have no need for ARC, but when SD download access and DSP are integrated (both of which I understand are on the Roadmap) then I’m sure that I’ll use ARC over my current on-the-go software, UAPP.

Obviously it would be great if a way could be found to allow offline listening, but I suspect that the changes implemented in 2.0 will make this very difficult.

1 Like

Thank you. Very helpful.

For the people that lose internet with some regularity, I do wonder if that’s not been terribly impactful because their phones will switch to the provider data network and they can still get to email, social media, etc… Roon 2.0 might be the first time they’ve really been exposed to a connected service into their residence. But there are plenty of services that exist like this already. Ring for example. I believe if you don’t have an internet connection you don’t see your cameras.

For out household we took the position that internet access is important to us for work as well as play. Because of this we invested in a second wireless failover connection (WAN2 on most residential routers).

3 Likes

Why not try 2.0 until it impacts you negatively, and then go back to legacy? It may never impact you.

1 Like