Roon 2.0 and internet connectivity [it's just like 1.8 now]

:thinking: For someone with only a few local files, your good self sure has a lot to say in a thread about availability of local playback using the software we pay(ed) pretty dearly for…

But basically, i agree, this thread could just as well be closed…

We used to call that the “I’m all right Jack!” attitude.

3 Likes

Who should fix it? The Roon customer or Roon? If someone purchased a Nucleus and stores all their music on it, not uncommon for Roon customers, who is responsible for 'fixing it"? What does a ‘fix’ entail?

2 Likes

Since I stream from Tidal and Qobuz, an internet outage would affect me even more that you. I have thought it through and have alternatives for no internet and no power.

For me, a fix entailed Audirvana Studio and Apple Music.

For those with local music files, it would also entail copying those files to another location besides a Nucleus. That’s a good practice regardless.

So duplicating the files from the Nucleus as backup.

My measly 42 local files are stored on my Dell laptop. I copied them to my Nucleus for Roon access. They are two albums my brother made (I am the drummer on one), a Qobuz Sampler, and a few tracks I bought from iTunes.

And I tried to explain how this would be a perfectly acceptable thing to say in many other situations, and your response was “get a different car” :roll_eyes:

Maybe, maybe not. I think they missed something. But anyway I was not writing about Roon generally but I was replying to someone suggesting that “get another car” is a valid strategy

Not only is it a valid strategy, it’s probably the only strategy if you want to play your music files without internet access. I guess you could get a second, backup ISP.

Which strikes me as a reasonable analogy. If your car won’t take you where you want to go, trade it in for a different one that will.

Says the person who has essentially no local files and hence is not affected …
It’s a valid strategy for a customer not to buy such a car at all. It’s not a reasonable strategy to buy a second car as backup in case the first car has not internet.

And here I thought our common goal was for Roon to thrive and to fulfill our needs.

How am I not affected streaming from Tidal and Qobuz? They both arrive via the internet.

My nature is to find solutions to problems, not be a victim.

1 Like

That would certainly be nice. But, come on, it’s just a product, not a life strategy. I figure we just buy a ticket to ride along with Roon Labs on their journey into the future. If we don’t like where they’re going, we should hop off and find something else to do.

You are not affected in the same way because when your strategy is to rely entirely on online streaming, then it is obvious that it won’t work at all without internet. Don’t be disingenuous.

Your nature is great, I am a software engineer by trade and I still don’t want to dick around with this stuff at home.

2 Likes

That’s fine. But anyone who develops software products for users knows that taking away features without replacement makes them unhappy

3 Likes

Sure. And this change – the always-on requirement – briefly made me unhappy, too. Until I figured, why be unhappy over something I have no control over?

I think a counterbalance here is to consider that Roon seems to be taking a baby step, with ARC, into a much more robust and deployable future. Dart/Flutter, TCP, I like those directions. I’m hoping for a brand new set of remotes based on this newer technology with many fewer problems on a wider array of platforms.

Yes exactly, as in you can get a different/additional music player, instead of stating that Roon have wickedly prevented you from playing your local files, which they clearly haven’t.

Audirvana Origin lifetime is $125. It will take about 5 minutes of dicking around. It only plays local files with no Tidal or Qobuz streaming. Seems like an obvious solution to me. It needs internet access every 30 days.

1 Like