Roon 2.0 and internet connectivity [it's just like 1.8 now]

Yes, exactly why I asked for updated clarification given the apparent direction of 2.0. :wink::+1:

(I’m assuming you’ve now read further down the thread where Danny reaffirmed their original position) :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

You seem to believe that it matters that the votes are large compared to other votes. I am pointing out that no it doesn’t matter at all.

I said what I meant if you read the thread and my posts.

Terrible search is an even more terrible excuse :wink:

2 Likes

I believe @danny only said it was an example of something that could be improved by always having access to the WAN. Not an excuse.

Indeed. Perhaps the new Wikipedia integration is part of that. Can Discogs integration be far behind?

1 Like

You mean if I was prescient enough to know exactly what I would be listening to?

2 Likes

Plus how do you suggest I play from ARC to my main rig? Airplay?!?!

1 Like

Well, it’s a bit circular, to be sure, but you’d be listening to whatever it is you’d downloaded. :rofl:

2 Likes

Or more likely nothing at all if I don’t like it, and will go to Apple Music, Qobuz, TIDAL, or Spotify over cellular (if I have cell service).

yeah, that’s certainly the other viable option when on the road. Like Roon before ARC! :+1:

(I listen to podcasts, too. It’s a luxury having our entire library with us at all times!)

I thought I’d load up my spare 1.8 Legacy machine to get it updated. It was a very smooth process to switch it on and get it setup with a duplicate copy of my external HDD. Deauthorised 2.0, and logged into 1.8 L. Readded the music which took around 30/45 mins, and I was up and running. Totally forgot the next day when I went out and loaded up ARC and realised I didn’t have it, so had to revert to Deezer for the day. :rofl:

1 Like

I solved that with a second Roon lifetime.

1 Like

While I agree downloads on the phone is not a Roon replacement why would you download music you don’t like?

I have thousands of albums. More likely than not, what I downloaded is not what I want to listen to at the time (OBVIOUSLY)

Oh to have a crystal ball.

I know I always want a plain slice. I don’t always know what I want to listen to.

1 Like

For me that would not work at all as I curate my library all the time, grouping duplicate albums (I buy everything I like), tweaking metadata, etc.

But more importantly: I expect the Roon team would understand that their assumption and architectural choice is BONKERS. They should fix this.

2 Likes

How often and for how long are you without internet? Have you tried or considered Audirvana Orgin for those situations?

So more don’t feel like it than don’t like. I’d have thought downloading music you don’t like was an OBVIOUSLY terrible idea. Sounds like you’ll not be happy until Roon change their mind, and even then maybe not :wink:

1 Like

Almost never. But I don’t want to worry about it. It’s like saying you cannot use your car without cell service - Elon Musty decides you need to have cell service for your car to run.

Regarding having another instance of Roon running 1.8, I would never do it - as I said the two dbs would not be in sync.

Obviously, you have you mind made up, but Audirvana Origin is a good option to play your local music files during the “almost never” times your internet is down. Lifetime is $120 if you are not already an Audirvana customer. Seems like you could do without your Roon curated library on those occasions. I don’t think you really are looking for a solution other than to hammer Roon.