Roon 2.0 and internet connectivity [it's just like 1.8 now]

We hope so.

The problem with 1.8 Legacy is that it wonā€™t be supported beyond the end of the year. Unsupported software means no updates to fix future security vulnerabilities. Hopefully the matter of offline access will be discussed more fully (how long can we access, when does access stop etc.) and changes can be made (if Roon so decide) before Legacy support ceases.

I absolutely agree that insults are not the way to go. But constructive criticism or, at the very least, genuine questioning, is perfectly acceptable. Iā€™m sure that Roon staff will present further information and, as always, there are the Feature Suggestion threads!!!

5 Likes

Iā€™ll add my disappointment. at least three times in the last year, Iā€™ve internet service for 6+ hours. And on Saturday afternoons!

Music is backed up on a NAS but primarily stored on an internal SSD on ROCK so itā€™d be a hassle to use another app to feed the hifi.

Even though Iā€™d qualify our internet service as ā€˜reliableā€™, outages are not infrequent enough to be noticeable.

Roon for me (5+ years, lifetime for most) is about accessing my own music. Thatā€™s the unique value prop for many of us.

If Iā€™m losing access to my own music three+ Saturdays a year, I donā€™t knowā€¦

Basic functionality, Iā€™d even select albums from a list with no search as long as I can get my own music into my DAC.

Please consider a compromise.

7 Likes

Have to say Iā€™m not happy with the no internet no Roon issue with 2.0. Hoping Danny and team can find a manageable solution before someone figures out how to crash the internet for an extended period.

With things as they are Iā€™m going to make plans for an alternate music source just in case, still have the cdā€™s/sacdā€™s boxed up somewhere or plug my backup music ssd into my oppo 205 if necessary. Hope for the best but plan for the worst.

7 Likes

Itā€™s a two lanes road: some may see the lobotomizing of functionalities they need/like/want/used as an insult tooā€¦

1 Like

which says screw you even though you were one of the early customers of Sooloos back in the day ā€¦nice to know there is some (read:no) value in loyaltyā€¦

Grab a jriver 30 license while you still can!!! :rofl:

But at least there is a downgrade option this time. Hopefully Roon will look again at offline functionality, at least at the basic level of point and play.

1 Like

Shockingly bad. If Roon had started as a totally cloud solution, then fine, we all understand as we make our investment into it what we are committing to. This, seriously, I do think it is tone deaf. Maybe rudeness isnā€™t in order but itā€™s pretty frustrating - music is the main hobby for many of us and it just doesnā€™t need to be screwed with like this. One just wonders how it could have gotten through any kind of real product design review process.

2 Likes

This was answered elsewhere in the forum.
Here is the post:

4 Likes

I wonder how Roonā€™s partners are considered in this decision. Dozens now promote devices as Roon Ready, many Roon users mix and match endpoints types.One of Roonā€™s strengths ā€“ that has yet to be matched by Plex, Audirvana or JRiver.
Thereā€™s an opportunity here for a competitor to step in and fill the void.

There is no question they knew exactly what they were signing off.

Sadly, there is no competition. There is no creativity. The computer/streaming audio/media software landscape is, for the most of it, driven by big egos, small thinking and questionable points of view all of which are just constantly sucking all the fun out of it, with each and any updateā€¦

2 Likes

I want to update. I like the new features. However, I like to play music when the internet is not working, which happens. Yes I have the files, on a disk in my Rock. I have no other player connected to the streamer, it would be a huge hassle. Roon was sold to me with the ability to play music offline with no internet.

8 Likes

For how long?

Should I start searching for alternatives now?

I will suggest some: Audirvana, JRiver

1 Like

Thanks, but that is from 2015, which is before @danny announced that Roon requires internet to function. I think itā€™s reasonable to ask for clarity.

I hear you. For posterity, I killed the internet access to my Roon Core (2.0) an hour ago. It canā€™t get online, but itā€™s on my network. Iā€™m playing local files with no issue. I will keep listening all day until Roon goes down and will report back.

Danny has stated that, as designed, 2.0 needs an internet connection. I get that, since worst-case scenario is you canā€™t play local files without internet. But in practice? It may not actually be that bad. I encourage everyone else worried about it to try this too!

4 Likes

Thanks for testing that. It might be worth testing a reboot of the Roon Core too.

Would be nice if Roon themselves could tell us what will work and what wonā€™t.

3 Likes

Long enough to migrate if you so wish. As of now, they say ā€œlong after support has endedā€.

Audirvana doesnā€™t run on Linux. Even Spotify runs on Linux! JRiver does, but so does the Strawberry music player, which was my previous solution. Iā€™d actually just buy a CD player instead of hacking together some other software solution that isnā€™t Roon and go back to controlling Spotify on my server with my phone as a remote. Problem solved.

Yeah, I have followed the trials by some users with interest. Thanks for that, as I was stuck at work and couldnā€™t. Itā€™s a relief if itā€™s not that bad, but then I donā€™t understand why we canā€™t get a clear answer what is and isnā€™t possible