Roon 2.0 and internet connectivity [it's just like 1.8 now]

Sorry, I meant everybody who has already upgraded. Luckily it’s easy to downgrade this time - although support will only be for a limited period of time.

Please remember that you only have a 6 week grace window to ‘downgrade’ back to 1.8 after the release of 2.0. You also will only have support until Dec ‘22.

Ok, I changed brain dead for bad.

1 Like

I’m not sure that Roon’s release info is entirely correct on this. I suspect that we only have a 6 week period in which to downgrade a 2.0 to 1.8 Legacy - which is what they’ve said. However, it’s possible (and I did it) to uninstall Roon and make a fresh install from the 1.8 Legacy downloads. As a fresh install, this doesn’t require any downgrading comparability with 2.0. Until the 6 week period of grace is up, I’ve no way to test if this is correct though - so it might be pure speculation!!!

I suppose they could block connections from pre-Roon 2.0 clients/cores to their services.

However, I will predict the mess created by this design faux-pas will force them to add local file playback.

Correct. This was mainly for people who have already upgraded. After that time has lapsed you will not be able to downgrade.

1 Like

I hope that it will. I live in a rural location in the UK. The internet is pretty reliable, but a few years ago we did have an extended period (about 10 days) without access. I was pleased with 2 things:

1. We have satellite TV
  2. I had locally available music (not Roon at the time)

Hopefully local playback without internet will be looked at again by Ronn devs.

1 Like

Audirvana to the rescue!

1 Like

Having a download copy of 1.8 for your server or computer is not enough.

You will be at the mercy of the App Store to download 1.8 to your phone or tablet.

What happens when 1.8 is pulled from the store? You get a new phone, new tablet …

MD …

Does the Roon 2.0 iOS app only work with Roon 2.0?

Perhaps all Roon need to do is disable advanced search when there’s no internet?

4 Likes

Good point. For Android devices you can sideload the APK files. Roon will pull this download, but they are available elsewhere. Personally I’ve downloaded the APK Files and I’ll be keeping them, just in case!!!

I believe so. Chicken and egg problem.

1 Like

That’s why there is a legacy version now.

This is Correct.

APK for Droid, What about for Apple users?

MD …

I think @MikeD might be referring to Roon pulling access to 1.8 Legacy apps after the 6 week period is up (not 1.8 in old money). I’d hope that they won’t do that as people might want to use 1.8 Legacy beyond 6 weeks, whilst simultaneously acquiring a new phone/tablet

100% agree. See my post above though, hoping that Roon might extend official availability of Legacy App into the future (but I won’t hold my breath!).

Yes, I did wonder this. That would be a surprising move.

You’re spot on here. I’ve been lurking this thread because it’s really disappointing to see the unkind comments in here.

Insulting the Roon team is not constructive in the least. I suspect the extremely vocal (probably minority) dissatisfaction of this move is offset by the generally improved performance of things like search and on-the-go usage. Roon has provided 1.8 Legacy. I don’t understand the bashing of 2.0 when there’s NO NEED to update, should one not wish. Roon isn’t taking away the user’s ability to play local files. They still exist locally and can be played by any other player!! The 1.8 Legacy build states that it will receive updates through the end of year, and will still work in the future but won’t be updated.

Moreover, I think there’s a lot of misplaced frustration in this thread. No software is perfect. I test for a software with licenses that are orders of magnitude more expensive than Roon and I find and report bugs constantly during the development cycle. We do our best to avoid them getting into production, but there’s an endless open-ended world to run Roon on and they can’t QA every configuration.

There are people on the other end of software development that are trying really hard to put out a good product. Roon is a great product accomplishing a difficult task with real people working to improve the experience for EVERYONE. If 100 upset users abandon the service and many more happily subscribe due to ARC, I imagine that’s an acceptable outcome.

Maybe I don’t understand why everyone in this thread is so fundamentally upset. Maybe I’m just too young, made a system that’s too flexible, or am generally too open to software tradeoffs. I imagine the Roon team will here these comments and try to accommodate them, where possible.

3 Likes