Roon 2.0 and internet connectivity [it's just like 1.8 now]

Worst design decision ever! :woozy_face:
So now whenever my ISP has trouble (no so unusual) I canā€™t watch TV, canā€™t surf on the net, ā€¦ and on top of that I canā€™t even listen to my music to relax while things get back to normal.

10 Likes

Thatā€™s how.

1 Like

Not happy at all with this huge regression!

I did the downgrade of ROCK core and remotes back to 1.8. Interesting thing is that shortly after that, ARC still worked with music files I am sure that werenā€™t played through ARC before. It took several minutes for ARC to stop working. Huh. The v1.8classic remotes still have the Roon ARC submenu in settings. So 1.8 has disabled ARC functionality??

I predict that Roon will rework the software to avoid the ā€œonly works with an internet connectionā€ design. A design where no hyperlink works without internet and a minimal player works locally would make sense to me.

5 Likes

Have you tried it and know for sure it doesnā€™t work in your use case?

They didnā€™t ask for it for any price :wink:

3 Likes

Ha! I suspect if you asked a dozen users who wanted ā€˜Roon mobileā€™ what they wanted it to do youā€™d get twenty different mutually exclusive answersā€¦

Iā€™m sort of disappointed that Roon actually did it at all. And not at all surprised itā€™s not working the way many seem to want.

I would advise everybody to try to play local files without an internet connection. Obviously you need to disconnect the internet and leave the LAN in place.

Weā€™ll have to wait for more concrete information from the Roon Team as to the exact nature of the changes in 2.0 regarding this issue. Iā€™m expecting more details as to exactly how long 2.0 works without internet (notwithstanding the fact that it works with limited functionality).

Iā€™ve actually installed 1.8 Legacy as I have no need for ARC. I installed it as a clean install and it works fine. Iā€™m happy to use this for as long as itā€™s supported, by which time (hopefully) the issue of offline access will be sorted!!!

1 Like

Yes, otherwiseI I wouldnā€™t have noticed it. Internet was out again for about 1,5 hour yesterday and Roon stopped working.

1 Like

itā€™s contract break:
if whatever happened to roon - my investitions bricked.
ultimately bad idea.
please make some dead-hand-tumbler for that case ā€“ I want possibility to use my library without over-internet roon servicesā€¦
PS lifetimer

2 Likes

Iā€™m running Roon Server on a Mac Mini. With my Internet connection disconnected, I am able to continue playing from my local library without issue as long as I donā€™t restart Roon Server (minutes at least, but who knows for how long). If my Internet connection is disconnected and I restart Roon Server, I get a pop-up asking whether Iā€™m connected and Roon Server will not start.

It doesnā€™t necessarily ā€˜needā€™ to be 30-days, but there definitely needs to be some sort of grace period here where Roon Core can reconnect and play locally from my local library if there are connectivity issues (local or otherwise)ā€¦ hours would be ā€˜goodā€™, but ā€˜daysā€™ would be even better.

ā€˜ARCā€™ is a nice-to-have (at best, considering the significant overlap between my local FLAC library and what is available on Qobuz, Tidal, etc.), but being able to stream locally from my local library is a must-have, otherwise there isnā€™t much point to having Roon.

2 Likes

yes, it smells bad :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

I think Danny would suggest you have the power to change thatā€¦ MOVE.

2 Likes

I donā€™t need any ā€œIf you donā€™t like America, go live in Russiaā€ kind of answers. This is serious criticism and waving away criticasters isnā€™t of any help for nobody.

4 Likes

My point is that the design decision from the Roon team is so incomprehensible and tone deaf that it makes me wonder why they would make that decision.

I will venture they got enamored with the concept of ā€œcloud basedā€ to the point of completely shooting themselves in the foot. I simply cannot understand who would sign off on such a bad design decision.

7 Likes

Welcom to the bubble :sleepy:

I have the same question so would like to bump it up.

And would also like to toss in my vote that this is a not-so-optimal change. I have internet that does cut out for a day at a time every now and again.

I feel like Roon ARC philosophically lines up with letting people access their music on their terms. After all, for those who stream the most, the services already provided some kind of app, so in my head those with large personal collections benefit the most from ARC. A bit weird to me that Roon philosophically moves towards improving peopleā€™s access to their own music in one direction (remote) while making it more difficult elsewhere (locally).

This is a bit rude, dude. Dissatisfaction is fine, but going over the line will at best make people not read legitimate criticism, and at worst make them dig their heels in deeper.

7 Likes

My winter construction site will be setting up a Euphony server with Stylus Player. Is not as comfortable as Roon, but sounds better.
After the disaster with the first month after the release of version 1.8 and the current 2.0 release with the missing offline functionality, Iā€™ve had enough with unpopular surprises from the Roon team.
Roon, Iā€™m sorry, I can only say goodbye.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

1 Like

not going to upgrade to 2.0 until this ins confirmed Iā€™m afraidā€¦

1 Like