Roon 2.0 and internet connectivity [it's just like 1.8 now]

I think this post was guaranteed to make a few people angry :laughing: Local software and local files are the main feature for some people, including myself. In this initial statement, itā€™s really not obvious why the change was necessary, and the phrase ā€œsubstantial period of timeā€ could mean anything. I appreciate much more the later clarifications that begin to address these. I think very many people in these forums are techy enough that this sort of message should be the tldr to a much fuller story.

I think the most important question is ā€œHow do we listen to our music with no internet?ā€ Can we easily switch to 1.8 if 2.0 goes down, to provide a fallback? As far as I can tell, 1.8 will need to make a similar connection for its first startup, so it wouldnā€™t work except in a planned outage. Is there a solution for this?

Iā€™m pretty interested in how this unified engine might work that it couldnā€™t continue to work if online sources were simply treated as empty if they became unavailable. The only reason I can think of is that Roon now transfers data from the local music database to the unified engine running as an online service. So beyond the inconvenience when the home internet goes down, does this also mean that if some server goes down the other side of the world, we canā€™t listen to local files? With internet latency it would also be debatable if it makes it faster. Perhaps Iā€™m mistakenā€¦

In principle I appreciate that youā€™ve got to abandon some things to make future development easier. But this is still a bit too vague to be comforting, because you donā€™t specify what upcoming things this sacrifice was for, and it doesnā€™t really make sense (without further detail) why thereā€™s no fallback left in place when you evidently have local search code that does the job and presumably already has automated test coverage so not a huge thing to maintain.

This change will affect me a bit Iā€™m sure, but itā€™s not enough of a problem to put me off what is still a great bit of software I use all the time, and itā€™s really commendable to be at all open about internal architecture. But the change does put a little unease in my mind - what will be the next sacrifice for unidentified ā€˜progressā€™? Move entirely to the cloud? Adverts between tracks? Drop local file support? Well, if thereā€™s a marketā€¦ so long as itā€™s in very much separate products, fine with me. I just hope ā€˜local onlyā€™ users will always be considered worth providing for.

4 Likes