Roon 2.0 Build 1373 and ARC Build 237 Issues

It will be interesting to see if the GUI comments are acted upon, specifically the need to be collapsable as I had the impression when I was in early access that it was final testing of release candidates for major bugs.

I think the almost universal agreement on the need for collapsibility shows the need for an alpha test of such major changes.

.sjb

6 Likes

Not had much time to review but:

1. I like the settings cog back.
  2. Prefer to default to collapsed playlist in menu. Really don’t want a super long menu by default. Not actually sure I need playlists in the menu itself as well as on a content screen. Likely to be very unwieldy for most I would exect.

Hoping a few performance/stability tweaks snook in.

2 Likes

Yes, settings cog is good… playlists in sidebar needs to be collapsable and ideally, to really make it useful, selectable.

If the 3 dot menu in the main playlists page had the option “Show in sidebar”, I could then select my favourite playlists to appear there. Or, provide the heart symbol for each playlist and only show favourite playlists in the sidebar.

2 Likes

Good suggestions - for those who have a large number of Playlists, having them all appear in the sidebar seems to defeat the purpose of having quick access to them…

1 Like

I’m just playing with the folder option, which is really good. I reckon the quickest and easiest fix is to display playlists in the sidebar from one folder called… “Sidebar”. Just change the coding to display Sidebar playlists instead of all playlists and job done! This would give good flexibility to the user and keep coding changes to a minimum.

The sidebar folder could be a system folder without renaming privileges and would appear automatically as a destination. Playlists wouldn’t be exclusive to the “Sidebar” folder and could be in Electronic folder as well for instance.

Edit… and while we’re on with suggestions. Use thumbnails from album covers from the playlists in the folder rather than just a blank folder image

Those are still “Bookmarks”in the Roon paradigm.

3 Likes

I expect this isn’t possible (yet?).

But am I correct in thinking:

• Only playlists in the ‘Qobuz playlist folder’ can be two-way synced back to Qobuz?
  • The playlists in the ‘Qobuz playlist folder’ can’t be organised into sub-folders in Roon?

It would be useful if you could share (sync) any of your playlists, regardless of where they lived in Roon back to your chosen streaming service(s) – make a simple ‘sync’ checkbox/icon (and maybe + platform). If the playlist originated from your selected streaming service, it would just be kept in sync. If it didn’t already exist, it would be created and synced going forward. Otherwise you risk ending right back with a single overwhelming folder of playlists in order share/sync them.

That also opens up an avenue for the two-way ‘sync’ for a single playlist to work with multiple streaming providers, even those outside of of Qobuz/Tidal.

2 Likes

@ivan Screenshots

On Roon Remote

And under Imported

On Roon ARC

And under Imported

Yes, but having it on the playlists would greatly increase its potential. Now the playlists are like a box that you manually decide to fill or empty by choosing songs directly, and that’s okay. But being able to create dynamic playlists that automatically fill or empty according to one or more criteria, would be a game changer.

If, on the other hand, you want to have bookmarks do this, you need to enhance this section because now it is not very friendly ( and implement them in ARC)

2 Likes

Thank you, @simon_pepper, we identified the issue and tracked it in a ticket.

–
Ivan

1 Like

I see a lot of tracks listed as unavailable even though play just fine in the Tidal app. I never really use playlist before, so unavailable could have always been a problem.

Also, would be nice if roon search could find the user created playlists that are offered on the streaming services. Like I did a search for John Hughes in roon and just finds the one I already have. But if go to Tidal, there are about 30 matches.

I also agree about being able to collapse the playlists on the sidebar. And why is the list in some random order, should be alpha or allow us to change sort order. But do like the new look of the sidebar and that settings always on the top. It’s a nice start.

Example of unavailable:

Absolutely.

1 Like

This was always an issue if your streaming service ‘dropped’ and re-catalogued the track with a new ID.

Except I just went to look at a playlist that was working fine before lunch, in fact it was a new playlist I was making to test the new playlist features and one of the tracks I explicitly remember playing on that playlist is now unavailable as are several other tracks I added this morning.

I then went back to the playlists I copied those tracks from and noticed a huge number of tracks on those playlists are now also showing as unavailable.

I guess Qobuz could have done a massive catalogue reshuffle today? But it appears Mike is seeing a similar issue with Tidal? Has Roon’s master index changed dramatically today?

If I go to the album (often a local FLAC copy) that contains the track that was previously part of a playlist, it no longer shows the track as being part of any playlists. Trying to find a concrete example where the local track was never likely to have been on a streaming service to start with, to see if this is linked solely to tracks added via a streaming service or local FLAC tracks too.

In fact I am now wondering if I should revert to an older backup while I can, as I really don’t want to have to fix all those playlists manually, linking each (now ‘unavailable’) track back to it’s local FLAC copy, by hand. Would appreciate a steer here from the Roon team?

(btw. not really fix for the above case, as I want the tracks linked back to the local FLAC version if available so I can download the playlist in ARC for offline listening, but I could have sworn I saw a ‘fix unavailable tracks’ (against your streaming service) right-click menu yesterday, but maybe I just imagined it!)

1 Like

My example was one I just added after the update. Its tracks are working within Tidal but show unavailable in roon. So what’s the point of bringing in user created playlists if half the tracks don’t work?

I see your point about Qobuz. I just dropped them because having so many issues with the favorites. Had so many dups and when tried deleting, they keep coming back. Library seems fine with Tidal.

Now I haven’t tried the dual sync feature of creating a playlist myself and then seeing it show in Tidal. I’m not a big playlist person other than liking other peoples playlists. So would really like that part fixed. Whole point of for roon is to work better than native app.

So new playlist I just made shows up at the top of the list but one I just brought in from Tidal is at the bottom. Very confused about playlist order.

Just realised your second screenshot is Tidal, that’s even stranger.

So that’s a playlist:

• Created in Tidal
  • Synced back into Roon from Tidal [automatically]
  • Still working fine in Tidal
  • Tracks now showing unavailable in Roon

With you, that makes no sense :wink:

(my use case was a bit more complex (not sure ‘complex’ is the right word, but…) in that a playlist I created in Roon (and Roon alone) is now showing a number off it’s tracks as unavailable, yet this morning those tracks were playing fine. I know as I remember playing them off this newly created playlist).

I wonder if Roon’s master catalogue data (from Tidal/Qobuz) has gone adrift today?

1 Like

So not sure if I got this right. If I make a new playlist in roon, I should then be able to see it in Tidal? And even if use a local track instead of one from Tidal? How long does it take to show up in Tidal? I do see Tidal has a few sort options available for their playlists like alpha, date added, date modified, so those would be welcome to roon’s playlist settings. Also see they offer folders, so even better. If any of these are already available for roon, please let me know.

I do see some sort options in roon once in main playlist section. However now when I go there I’m only seeing 2 playlist instead of them all like I see on the side. Oh, never mind, show 2 made in roon and then Tidal icon for ones direct from there. As said, never really used playlists before even though had roon for years. Mostly because if made playlist in roon, it wouldn’t show up in streaming app like this new update is supposed to do.

Sort options in playlists have no effect on the sidebar order, so that needs to be fixed.

I have several heterogenous playlists, with tracks from my local library, Qobuz, and Tidal. I recently dropped Tidal, so now those tracks show as not available, although they are likely available in Qobuz (100% of my Tidal library sync’d to Qobuz via Soundiiz. is there a straightforward way to sync the missing tracks in a playlist to a different service?

Go to the playlist in Roon and select Move or Copy, then put it in Qobuz – Roon will attempt to match the missing tracks.

But am I correct in thinking that will only work if your playlist tracks are available in Qobuz?

What happens when you have a hybrid playlists made up of 50% streaming and 50% obscure records and vinyl rips that only exist as FLAC files in your local library?

It feels like something has really screwed up with playlists and track availability (at least for me) today, see above, which feels a bit concerning given how long I spent putting some of them together.

1 Like