Roon 2.0 Core not accessible through Orbi Satellites

Roon Core Machine

Windows 10 Pro, version 10.0.19044 Build 19044
AMD Ryzen 7 3800x
32gb RAM
Roon version 2.0, Build 1128 (same on remote machine)

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Orbi RBR50, firmware version 2.7.4.24 w/ 3 satellites
Everything connected via WiFi, no VPN

Connected Audio Devices

Arcam ST60, various Sonos devices, a Bluesound Node 2i

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

I’ve just upgraded to Roon 2.0 Core and it appears that (unlike Roon 1.8 and every version before that) it is not playing well with my Netgear Orbi mesh network system. The Roon Core Machine is connected via Wifi to the main Orbi wireless router. When my laptop or phone is also connected to that same router, Roon works as it should. But when my laptop or phone is connected to the same network but via one of the Orbi mesh satellites, I get the “waiting for remote core” message and it never connects. I did not have this issue with Roon 1.8 or prior versions. Notably if I turn off the wifi on my phone and use the new Roon ARC app, I can connect over the cell connection to the Roon Core Server using the new app. But if I turn on wifi and try to connect via the regular Roon app, I get the message that it can’t connect to the Core.

This is my best guess as to what the issue might be. Let me know if you need more info or want me to do additional sleuthing.

Connect your Roon core to your router using ethernet. Your network is so bad, you get better performance over cellular connecting to the nearest cell tower.

Network throughput is actually pretty good. Been using Roon on this exact setup for a couple years now and never had an issue before Roon 2.0, so I don’t think the network is the issue.

Can you use Roon ARC with your WIFI connection?

Actually, a reboot of the whole system and it appears to be functioning as it should once more. I’ll keep an eye on it, but perhaps chalk this up to a momentary glitch.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.