Roon 2.0: From Rumors To Reality

The success will be measured in the number of support requests post beta. A couple of Roon’s major firmware upgrades have been problematic.

1 Like

New theory: support for Augmented Reality glasses, starting with the new stereo Lenovo Glasses T1 – will they be Roon Ready? – which will function as a Roon display!

Yes. It is mathematically impossible to test every possible execution/signal path in a complex system operating on multiple platforms across diverse network setups. There are virtually infinite points of failure.

Best you can hope for is every menu item, button, hyperlink does something close to what was intended without catching anything on fire.

Actually I came over a bit grumpy earlier, and that makes it sound like it don’t appreciate Roon’s many features I use every day, such as room correction DSP, occasional multi-zone sync, nice interface with lots of metadata etc.

I suppose what I was trying to say was there are many (really a lot of) issues that have been hanging around months, sometimes years. These are functionality issues, ease of use, cleverer ways of working etc. and they just don’t seem to get done. Heck I still can’t scroll upwards without jerks and jumps on my iPad on certain screens, I mean that’s pretty basic?

Whereas huge new ideas like 1.8 and Valence and now V2 with mobile access (let’s face it we know this is the core of things to come, there have been enough hints!) arrive without consultation.

Roon seem to be intent on growing the software as a whole, making it more main stream. Rather than tidy up what’s there to make it work better? Maybe V2 is a rewrite in a new language that will help them do that, who knows, hope so.

But I am seeing Roon ads everywhere just now, on my Facebook feed, on Twitter, and it’s not because I’m talking Roon anywhere where Google can see especially more than I ever did. That says one thing to me, Roon are seeking to be noticed, and not just where us geeks and audiophiles hang out… hmm… or perhaps they already have been noticed?

1 Like
1 Like

This would be neat. Roon is amazing on a giant screen and what’s more giant then AR / VR glasses? The only problem I see / hear with this…

I actually get a different EQ curve (best way to describe it) when I’m wearing glasses than not. To really get into the music I take my glasses off. Can only imagine the new debates around “audiophile” VR / AR glasses and how transparent they are for near field / far field listening. This is certainly an untapped market. Please contact me if you want to make audiophile grade VR / AR glasses. We’ll be rich!

1 Like

You have a problem that needs sorting out why did you not respond to Jamie in this support thread that Carl helped you set up?

Totally fair point. I will stop posting. I don’t have the time to keep up with the updates.

1 Like

Preliminary business plan:

1. Buy commodity AR glasses from Taiwan.
  2. Gold-plate them.
  3. Jack up the price at least 10x.
  4. Advertise them as “audiophile-grade”!
6 Likes

Put an OCXO clock into it for twice the success

We’ll be selling an external clock you can wear on your belt. It might look like a “fanny pack” but don’t worry… we’ll be printing “RECLOCKER” in big bold font so those who know will know. The’ll be the hit of all the audio shows.

4 Likes

They‘re gonna announce it soon

1 Like

But again as a end-user you wont know this information. You might make some kind of guess based on your own experience and activity on the forum, but that is not going to be in any way accurate enough to make a sensible assessment.

New theory: Valence will be integrated with Stable Diffusion, which will use lyrics information to generate disturbing images for a Roon display. E.g.

You can hear Happiness staggering on down the streets / Footprints dressed in red

5 Likes

Disagree. I’ve participated in beta tests and have used beta software in the past. Roon has released some software upgrades that weren’t ready for prime time. You’ve been around long enough to remember the rollout that made Apple based music drives non-functional. That had to have involved an internal beta. It took weeks to fix that. I’m lucky in that I have options. If the Roon rollout is a mess, and I don’t anticipate that, I’ll exclusively use my Aurender servers until they fix it.

Sure, I wont ever know what the parameters of the beta are (unless someone shares them) but once the public release rolls out, we’ll know in short order if it was a good beta, or a bad one. It can be the testing criteria, and it can also be lousy beta testers or a combination thereof. When a company bids on a product, the vendor doesn’t always deserve the heat for shipping a junk product - the people who write the bid specs are usually the weak link in the chain. This thinking can apply to the beta testing. Hopefully, lots of thought goes into the beta testing. Roon 2.0 (Roon to Go) has been discussed since at least 2016. I remember talking to Rob Darling about their plans at a Roon demo session in LA.

My initial post that prompted this discussion was simply to get it right the first time.

I could care less about assessments. You’ll know by the volume of support requests if things went well or not.

1 Like

I’m asking when it Will release

They wrote next week (this week)

All I wrote is that they‘re gonna announce Roon 2.0 I guess.

Let’s not hope they come up with some days of National Mourning now the UK Queen has passed out

2 Likes

Oops…

4 Likes

Since Roon has not finished corralling all the beta testers, I doubt that a general release is imminent.

2 Likes

Well it cant be that inevitable they just released a small update, which got me excited lol.

1 Like