Roon 2.0: From Rumors To Reality

If they only just closed enrolment for Beta testers there’s no way release is that close. I think the thing that people like me are hoping might happen in the next few weeks is a bit of a reveal about what all of these teaser tweets and videos are about and what the new features are going to be. If the new release is about to go out to beta testers not employed by Roon that might make sense because, even if non disclosure agreements are in place for each beta tester, I suspect it is possible that info might leak out anyway and maybe Roon accepts that and so the distribution of the first beta release might be the point when Roon goes public with the new features. Apple pre-announces the big new features of the next major version of iOS prior to general availability (or at least those that don’t relate to supporting new features in unannounced upcoming products) so I am hoping for the same from Roon.

3 Likes

Yes, and new IOS is Monday. I don’t imagine they will do anything before that settles……

:eyes:

Guess we finally have a date. The background video is a gentleman enjoying roon on his tablet … and a car driving through mountains. Seems like a real breadcrumb trail leading to roon-on-the-go.

2 Likes

Or highway to hell?

1 Like

Where did you find that countdown?

Was that posted today?

It was right on the roonlabs front page. Gone now.

1 Like

30 day user beta…

If I’ve counted right that would be October 12th but maybe I’m out by a day? I am in the UK so perhaps timezones might have messed up my estimate. I’ll be doing a 19 hour long haul journey that day, somewhat ironic since if it is mobile Roon and it does include the ability to have a local on-device cache of one’s library files the release day will be one of the days when I would most want that feature.

2 Likes

So much effort for 5% of people to use once or twice a year then forget about, sigh.

1 Like

If you are referring to the, as yet, unproven supposition that all this is about a mobile Roon, then I don’t believe it is so much for current users, as it is to attract new users (and to stay relevant in a demanding market).

3 Likes

If you are referring to the, as yet, unproven supposition that all this is about a mobile Roon, then I don’t believe it is so much for current users, as it is to attract new users (and to stay relevant in a demanding market).

I find that a fascinating thought to run with (no pun intended!).

I’ve seen a lot of discussion amongst this community about mobile in the few years since I’ve been using Roon and when those discussions begin speculating about how it could be implemented one suggestion that has been made (by someone else, not by me) to address people like me who want mobile to actually store a copy of my library on my mobile device might be to implement some sort of lightweight Roon Core running on the mobile device so that the existing Roon client app running on the device could communicate with a server (Core) running on the same system.

Until your post I was so focussed on having my wishes fulfilled that it had never occurred to me that, if Roon were to adopt that local core solution, it could potentially open up an entirely new market for people who don’t even have a Roon core at home and might buy a “Roon Light” purely for mobile use.

Whether that mobile-only market exists in anything more than a handful of people is a big discussion of course that I assume would depend heavily on price. I very much doubt that a mobile-only user is going to pay $100 a year for a smartphone app but there are a fair few mobile app developers now that do charge more modest annual subscription fees for their pro versions. Just maybe with sufficient volume, and with the added possibility of at least some mobile-only users upgrading to the full at-home Roon experience at some point, Roon might have been able to put together a business case and pricing model that makes sense.

Anyway, thanks for raising a fascinating point. If that timer was accurate we still have about 27 days to find out the real truth and I for one need some distractions because this wait is killing me. I really should have signed up for the beta test program.

3 Likes

It’s funny, I have no real interest in Roon on the go.

I mean, yeah, it could be interesting, but I have subscriptions to tidal/qobuz, and I put all my ripped cd’s on an SD card for the car stereo (I update this whenever I have a new influx of ripped music). So I don’t really have a strong need/desire to connect to my roon server, or open ports on my router just for music.

When I’m traveling or in the car or walking the dog or whatever, I seem to have different listening habits. Might be podcasts or books, might be Radio Paradise or Sirius XM (stream, not satellite) or some other content source.

If I want to hear an album, I can nearly always find a way to play it without Roon.

7 Likes

And Celebrity Death Match…

1 Like

Ignoring the teaser video…

While what you say is true about a Roon mobile solution + new users/market, it’s also our single most demanded feature request from existing users since 2015! Even though only a very small subset of our users will vote on feature requests, it’s still the number #1 request.

9 Likes

Oh, you are getting our hopes up…

1 Like

If roon mobile is coming, I am thrilled. I like roon and just want it to be my way of interacting with music no matter where I am. I also like having a unified history of what I’ve listened to. fingers crossed and cant wait to see what’s coming up next for us.

5 Likes

Hmm, I guess that puts it one above the request for family profiles?

Good news for the profiles request then? :slightly_smiling_face:

If such a mobile solution gets announced it would most likely be a subscription service, probably included in current sub plans…

As someone currently trialing Roon and not yet sure if I go with yearly plan or lifetime, i would be interested to know if new services such as mobile Roon (as an example) would be offered to lifetimers with no additional (recurring) fees? Or would this be considered as an additional service not included in lifetime? Appreciate any clarification…

Hey @samtrino

Thank you for getting in touch, and welcome to Community! We’re happy to have you. Your question is one that we see frequently from new and potential Roon subscribers. I’m happy to clarify for you, this is something that Danny has touched upon in the past.

Any new features that are added to Roon, such as your mobile Roon example, will be included in your existing membership. We’re not going to do a-la-carte pricing for new features - that includes any new Roon-on-the-go additions. I hope this helps you make your Roon subscription decision. If we can help with any other questions please don’t hesitate to ask.

28 Likes