Roon 2.0: From Rumors To Reality

It might be the #1 requested feature but I suspect it’s nevertheless a minority desire among current Roon users. It doesn’t interest me at all, whereas synchronising Roon Cores across different properties does. You could try some user questionnaires to find out areas of interest. It might expand the market but then again it might dilute the focus from being The audiophile player for music fanatics, as it says on the home page.

1 Like

You can’t please everyone. If you decide to put in feature A, that’s usually at the cost of feature B. Sometimes you’ll be fortunate that your feature ends up in the release, sometimes you’re drawing the short straw. It is what it is.

5 Likes

Let’s put it another way: If they did introduce Roon mobile, would you use it?

Me? No. But I don’t listen to music when out of the house. Not when running and not when driving. I chose Roon for the HiFi experience at home. Of course, I’d try it out, but I can’t imagine using it myself.

2 Likes

Thanks Jamie! just to be clear, when you say “membership”, does that include lifetime?

1 Like

I thought it was feature suggestions and not requests, anymore :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes, membership is membership regardless of how it is billed.

4 Likes

Why do I bother saying anything at all?

:expressionless:

15 Likes

Allow me to say the opposite. Roon-on-the-go is my personally most wanted/needed feature. I want to stop messing about with cloud all you can eat streaming service nonsense and run my own. And I want it to be Roon because it’s the best music administration software on the planet. I saw the teaser video (and posted it above) because I’ve been checking the homepage every single time I touched a computer in the past couple of weeks since the teaser tweet.

As for the person wanting to synchronize roon cores … just synchronize your computers with SyncThing. Takes five minutes to setup. It’s what I do. I also have all my music on the go on my phone with SyncThing, but specifically want Roon to play it. SyncThing solves a lot. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My Roon Core is Roon ROCK on an Intel NUC. Synchronising the music library is something I already do with rsync run from a cron job every day, which works fine. The harder part is synchronising the Roon database.

1 Like

“Roon on the go” is wanted by far more people than “synchronising Roon Cores across different properties” is and is a far more compelling feature. Lots of Roon customers have wanted this since the beginning. Comparatively few Roon customers have Roon setups in multiple locations that need synchronizing.

8 Likes

I don’t know if I would use Roon-to Go that much or not, but it’s a big deal for Roon’s business evolution and long term viability. A slew of new subscribers would fund improvements, and those roll out to all of us, home and mobile users alike. Firmware and program improvements are positive.

6 Likes

SyncThing is great to sync one’s music collection, I use it extensively for my music collection, but using it to try to sync the Roon database would be a recipe for database corruption. Sure, one could do a Roon database backup to a folder managed by SyncThing, and later restore that backup onto a different core server, but there are many ways of messing this up. That’s why doing the Roon database sync under Roon’s control is necessary for those of us who regularly move between locations with fixed audio systems.

3 Likes

Do you need to sync the database though? Syncing music should do it, Roon should be able to maintain the local databases independently. Changes would be incremental.

I was not saying that synchronisation across locations is wanted by more people than mobile Roon. Perhaps it’s not. Note, however, that this includes synchronisation with your place of work, assuming you listen to music while you work, not just second homes. I only mentioned synchronisation because I had said that mobile Roon didn’t interest me, so you might have wondered what does. I still question what proportion of users do want mobile Roon. Clearly there are many and they are quite excited about the prospect of this being in Roon 2.0.

I think it was Henry Ford who said that if he’d asked people what they wanted they would have said a faster horse. What would be really great is if Roon 2.0 is all about something we haven’t thought of. The teaser videos make me think of multi-channel audio. Who knows?

If I had two homes, and I don’t and never would, I would want to sync my two Roon cores so everything would always be the same. I would make a Roon backup on a USB drive and take that to the second home until/unless Roon comes up with a better method.

Please tell me that whatever it is, I won’t have to buy another house (or new car) to use it!

I’m sticking with my prediction: a new logo! It will be wonderful!

8 Likes

Unless I am missing something, Roon mobile would obviate any need for synchronizing or even hosting two separate cores. Roon mobile would not be just for mobile devices. At your office or second home, a computer with Roon installed would become an endpoint and remote for your core in the same way that a computer with Roon installed is an endpoint and remote on your local network.

AJ

8 Likes

That depends on how it’s implemented. Even then it would rely on how fast your upload speed is from your main home where the server lives. A better approach might be this:

We don’t know that. If they introduce a mobile Roon, it would depend of what it is and how it works.