Roon 2.0: From Rumors To Reality

Depends on the plan. Here at Vodafone Germany I have audio streaming excluded from data caps (this is included already in the smallest plan), but most likely this applies to streaming services (who probably pay for the privilege) and not the actual data type, so a mobile Roon may not be covered

If you stream the same thing, it should be the same, right? The problem is that streaming would be bound by the upload speed of your broadband plan. I don’t know in other countries, but in US, cable and 5G upload speeds are way lower than download speeds. Fiber seems not to have this limitation, but it’s not widely available yet.

1 Like

I have unlimited Verizon cellular data and 135GB Verizon hotspot data. When away from home, I can stream Tidal and Qobuz to my Dell laptop Roon core with no issues. I guess my question might be moot because I don’t have any local music files to stream from my Nucleus at home, so I guess streaming from Tidal and Qobuz would probably use just about the same amount of data.

If I had music files at home, they would be uploaded using my AT&T U-Verse plan. That would not be an issue.

I guess it’s possible Roon would stream metadata to a mobile device that is currently coming from my Dell Roon core database, IDK.

I hope it’s Roon mobile and not Roon videos.

For services, it would depend on how Roon mobile is implemented, i.e. whether the endpoint can stream directly from the service or always go through the core. If you have DSP, I would think it would have to go through core.

Streaming services deliver compressed codecs. As it stands, Roon delivers uncompressed PCM or DSD. Roon data usage is greater.

AJ

For CD quality and up, those codecs must be lossless. I seem to remember Roon also uses lossless compression.

Nope. Roon outputs PCM or DSD to endpoints.

AJ

I guess you’re right, RAAT doesn’t seem to currently use any kind of compression. But who knows, Roon mobile might change that. As long as it’s lossless, it’s only bandwidth management.

That is why I said, “As it stands
” Mobile usage may invoke a pivot in Roon core data output. However, decoders most often are freely distributable to end users, while encoders may incur licensing fees.

AJ

Your imagination is very imaginative.

It’s by application, . see Vodafone Pass fĂŒr App-Nutzung ohne Datenverbrauch | Vodafone

But, that may not last as there is/were some legal challenges to the legality of such passes under EU law:
“EU says internet providers' zero-rating violates net neutrality | Engadget”

1 Like

Yes, it’s over. T-Mobiles StreamOn finished on July 1, I suspect the other providers must follow. @Suedkiez

Ab dem 01.07.2022 wird die Vermarktung von “StreamOn-Optionen” aufgrund einer Untersagung der Bundesnetzagentur leider eingestellt.

https://www.telekom.de/unterwegs/tarife-und-optionen/streamon

I would give $4, maybe $5, for some Bieber tickets. Oooh, how thou doest tempt me!

1 Like

Now I get it :bulb:. It must be an innovation on Blockbuster and other video rental services of the 1990s, but purely for music. Fast courier delivery of CDs (and vinyl?) to wherever you are, with a free Walkman thrown in.

1 Like

How nice would it be to stream local NAS and Qobuz files in one program using the convolution engine for headphone eq on the road! That would put Plexamp in the waist bin

And let Thierry from HAF creat room correction filters for the car!! How exciting :smiley:

3 Likes

Yeah I figured. But oops, I hadn’t heard about the net neutrality thing.
@mikeb, T-Mobile finished the marketing and does not include it new contracts, but keeps it up for existing customers until March 2023. The Vodafone page is saying that if the contract was created before May 31, 2022, Vodafone will not end the cap exclusion.

I’m usually strongly for net neutrality, but I’m not sure I get the issue here. Depending on contract, you can choose to exclude one streaming app type from the cap, and it seems that e.g. the music streaming category contains tens of small apps, so certainly does not benefit just the behemoths. And for adding other streaming app types (video, games), you pay a monthly fee for the option. It’s the same to me as having a monthly payment option that makes telephone calls to your home country cheaper.

Edit: On reflection, I do see the issue that it puts newcomers on the back foot if they are not on the list, and it’s probably quite a hassle to get on the list if you consider having to do it globally. Well, I hope the only effect of this won’t be that phone users have to pay 3 times more for streaming data

1 Like

T-mobile has increased everyone’s data cap for free, I went from 5 to 10GB but it wasn’t enough to cover my limited Apple Music requirements last month.

1 Like

Who’s to say they will do that for mobile if it is a thing. Makes sense to allow bandwidth choices ala Plex as data reception is up and down as is internet when away. I can barely get decent 4g speeds where I live due to the amount of users and on the way to work it’s spotty and I’m in a Capital city. They can’t stick to just native for outside use it would be a silly move.

Personally, rather than mobile, I’m more interested in using Roon from my second home without having to manually keep two servers synchronised by restoring backups all the time. Some way to automatically keep two servers synchronised would be wonderful.

12 Likes

I’m in the same situation and would love a solution for that, but looking at feature requests, a mobile version has a great many more folk requesting that than asking for a two core solution, sadly, so if mobile is Roon’s direction, it’s fully understandable.

Michael