Roon 2.0: From Rumors To Reality

I thought we needed static IP, but evidently we don’t. At least my router doesn’t

Tidal and Qobuz stream directly to your phone, not to your core.

MQA works well if you plug in an MQA DAC. Also uses less data then Qobuz 96 or 192, obviously.

waiting patiently for the other 4 guys to kick in

2 Likes

A lot of the same old, “if it doesn’t benefit me, it must be crap.” What a self-centered world we live in.

11 Likes

The update and installation went ridiculously smoothly! I couldn’t be more pleased…and excited!

4 Likes

Hi check out this Roon Help Page, esp. " 2. Not ready yet to update yet" section.

1 Like

Another happy dusty hard drive guy here. Small minded streamers can just wind their necks in.

5 Likes

My 500k tracks, that are not in the basement, contain music unavailable in Tidal or Qobuz and I have always placed that before convenience or needing the latest whatever. Meanwhile the whole mobile thing even for this dusty old guy is pretty useless. Aside for native Mac support this update is a non starter for me. But that’s just me. I would never speak for or condemn others for their needs! Good night!

8 Likes

Yes but that talks about rolling back to 1.8 - I don’t want to update to 2.0 and roll back, I just don’t want to update?

Well can’t please them all i say. I am fortunate of having some super cool and rare stuff on hard drives so this feature finally gives me a great way to take it with me on the road.

3 Likes

Turn off automatic updates on Roon and phone.

Why not update? You don’t have to use ARC….

There’s no reason not to update?

I don’t understand this from people. Unless you just wish to wait to ensure it’s a stable release, that I understand.

You can update and not use ARC or even download the new app. You just continue using as before…

5 Likes

ok… I had to get out in the middle of the night to my car to see how this thing behaves in the car… it’s not bad, but I don’t understand why on earth can’t I transfer my playing queue to ARC. then from ARC back to an endpoint in my home. Am I such a maverick? Is that such a rare use case?
that would do everything I want from Roon mobile and you could all keep your dusty hard drives in those basements happily ever after!

Because it will be full of bugs for weeks… (sorry yes @Formula that’s why really - I’m having trouble keeping up with replies! :blush: )

Hey @Tim_Woodward!

There might be a bit of a misunderstanding here. I want to clarify that you’re not required to use ARC, mate. If you don’t have a need for it, no problem.

Simply follow Danny’s instructions to enter a single 0 in the manual port forwarding window in Settings>Roon ARC and you should be good.

All of your other devices appear to be perfectly compatible with Roon 2.0. Maybe take a peak at 2.0 and see what you think. You can easily hop back over to 1.8 if you like. We’re happy to help with that if you need it. Just a thought.

Perhaps it won’t. A staggering amount of dev time and testing was put into 2.0 before release. This was a huge undertaking and things really do seem to be going well for most of our customers. No pressure of course, the choice is yours to make.

5 Likes

Hi @Tim_Woodward,

It was this text I thought you might be interested in …

There might be a myriad of reasons why you don’t feel ready to update just now. If you don’t want to update to Roon 2.0 yet and are enjoying all the features that Roon 1.8 provides, then you are welcome to stay on 1.8. Please, note that Roon 1.8 won’t be supported forever.

For how long can I use 1.8?

Roon will provide ongoing support for 1.8 installation for some time after the release of 2.0, depending on the Roon 2.0 adoption rates. However, if you are more comfortable using Roon 1.8, you can always continue to run it on your own after the official support period ends.

No one is forcing you to update.

I was not suggesting you had to update and then revert.

1 Like

Understood good sir!

(Off topic)
This forum software is shockingly bad. It’s the worst I’ve used in 20 years. Even PHPBB is better! Move to IPS (Invision) Roon!

1 Like

Why? All the new stuff is for ARC….otherwise 2.0 is really just 1.8.

Oh thanks - if I don’t have to do anything to stay on 1.8 for a few weeks or months then I’m a happy bunny! :blush:

Really? Well I do hope so as I’m not going to turn off all iOS app updates just to keep the current version of the Roon app - I’m probably getting my knickers in a twist over absolutely nothing…

I was just so disappointed that all those teasers and anticipation was for a feature I have zero use for, when there are so many improvements and enhancements that need to be dealt with by Roon… just grumpy and its time to go sit on my own grumpy step and leave everyone who is loving remote access to their party I suppose! :man_shrugging:

3 Likes