Roon 2.0: From Rumors To Reality

I don’t get why ARC is a separate app? It seems very green from a UI perspective. Understandable seeing as it’s so new, but wouldn’t it have been easier to just add the mobile features to the existing app?

Either way I’m happy to have mobile, so I’ll take it. Great work!

The first thing that comes to find is to have the wonderful Roon UI on the go.

Also, this has come as a surprise, but at least in my case, the Qobuz app struggles with anything other than all-bars service, even playing at MP3 quality. Don’t ask me how, but Roon Arc works so much better when streaming Qobuz content. It loads tracks faster, doesn’t get interrupted…

2 Likes

Not really, but there are few bugs.

You just might get tired of seeing the reminders that there is an update available.

I always download to the phone before I go for a run, usually a playlist. I suppose I’m just not an ‘on the go’ kind of user - perhaps if I travelled more maybe, hotel rooms and the like I do get that, home from home with your music. But again mine is all on Qobuz and mostly there is wifi. Good that ARC has managed to handle the streaming over mobile data bottleneck though as for those who use it that’s a big plus… Me, well I just wanted a field for ‘label’ added to the ‘Versions’ screen, didn’t need them to get involved in all this for months! :smiley:

I already am… !! :smirk:

I have about 6k ripped tracks on my Nucleus SSD and I can see them all on ARC. Let us know if you can really access your 500k on ARC. That would be truly a feat for ARC. Long live Roon!

I have about 300,000+ tracks on local disks (20TB) and no issues playing to Roon ARC - but the sync time on first use was a little long. otherwise all good.

4 Likes

Will need to test further over these next few days obviously, but so far all appears to be running smoothly with 2.0 and ARC, at least for me. I did have to manually add a port forwarding rule in my router, but that was it. (Nucleus Rev B, plus macOS and iOS clients).

Thanks to all involved. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Ah yes update remote and a reboot of my core did the trick. Arc is working now…

Not sure how much use it will be to me - I’ve used Tidal when out and about for years

I’ll let you in on a little secret… there are nearly zero changes in the code that relates to the parts of Roon that you are interested in. If 1.8 stable was working great for you then so will 2.0.

Give it a shot. If there’s a problem then drop back to 1.8 for a bit.

Regardless, you will either want to move to 1.8 Legacy (just install it using the instructions in the help center) or to 2.0. If you don’t then you will not get any further updates or fixes.

2 Likes

Just to clarify, since I’ve been asked by other users. For those wanting to stay on 1.8, it is recommended that they do upgrade to 1.8 Legacy version?

Yes. We will continue to support the 1.8 Legacy version and that track will be the one getting updates moving forward. If you stay on 1.8 stable then you will not get future updates to 1.8 and you’ll be bombarded with update messages.

The default update track migrates all users from 1.8 stable to 2.0 production as this is the course that the vast majority of users wish to follow. Those wishing to stay on 1.8 need to install 1.8 Legacy in order to remain on the 1.8 track. You can install 1.8 Legacy without first having moved to 2.0.

2 Likes

Is casting support coming for Roon ARC?

I used to walk around the house with the Old App and cast to my Chromecast on my Anthem Reciever MRX 540.

This was very handy, but the new app actually removed casting??

1 Like

Roon ARC does not replace the Roon Remote apps. Roon ARC is for access when you are away from home. Roon Remote is for when you are home.

1 Like

The remotes don’t work with roon 2.0… on IOS

Get the Roon Remote 2.0 release!

1 Like

It’s not on the App Store yet?? Im in Australia. I open "Roon Remote’ and no updates from app store. Also searching the App Store no updates.

It would be good for Roon ARC to have chromecast though, for visiting at friends houses etc. and casting to their equipment. definately a required feature.

** Scrap that, appear to have an update when forcing search over and over and over.

Interesting choice to still use two apps on IOS or Android. Probably be much better to combine into 1 longer term. Little bit clunky having two seperate apps for the same thing.

1 Like

But they aren’t for the same thing….

2 Likes

Not true.

GMT is a time zone officially used in some European and African countries. However, UTC is not a time zone, but a time standard that is the basis for civil time and time zones worldwide.