Roon 2.0: From Rumors To Reality

Im in Oz and got the update no issues quite some hours ago too

They should and will be oneday for Mobile Devices for sure. In reality, the new app does enough for mobile all they would need to add to replace the original app is casting and/or zone control. The workflow on the new app is much better.

all the advanced options on the server etc. can just be managed from the full desktop application. No point having that stuff on mobile. it just makes the ecosystem more messy.

Deleted. Wrong thread

Having Roon ARC great ā€¦ already got it working in my car. Not sure it is fully Apple CarPlay compatible. You need to be able to control Roon Arc with your large car touch screen rather than fiddling with your iPhone which is illegal when driving.

I must congratulate the Roon developers for what they have done. The Roon community is a tough crowd to please but I say well done. The full functionality with Apple CarPlay would be great as the next iteration of Roon Arc.

4 Likes

@Montgomery_Campbell , please Vote (and urge everyone else to Vote!):

1 Like

I cannot see any chromecast but I can bluetooth from an ARC phone (Android 12) to a pair of Buchhardt A500ā€™s. SQ not great but once I get out of the house it will be interesting to see if I can use the ARC phone as a bluetooth hub.

They are working on CarPlay. It will be added in the future. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

2 Likes

I decided to just update to Roon 2.0 along with Roon Remote 2.0. I had put ARC on my phone but removed it as I just use Qobuzā€™s App. Has been working flawlessly for the past 6 hours. Just using a 1st or 2nd generation I-7 PC running the latest WIN10 release.

I had no idea what UTC was. Thought it might be a new type of milk. We may have lost an empire, but havenā€™t lost the Greenwich Meridian, zero degrees longitude.

1 Like

I donā€™t know if this will be of help or not, but what I do is make a Playlist for the day of 130 tracks or so. Then I randomize it. Then I copy the randomized queue to a new Playlist called ā€œMobileā€.

So the Mobile Playlist is going to be in the exact same order as the play queue at home. When I leave the house, I fire up the Mobile Playlist on ARC and I fast forward to the song thatā€™s currently playing at home, and pause the music at home. That way Iā€™ve effectively picked up where Iā€™ve left off at home. When I get back home, I fast forward to where I was on the Mobile Playlist.

Itā€™s not elegant, but it works for me.

1 Like

I turn on the car radio or BBC Sounds.

2 Likes

Ok - I think Iā€™m going to have to do that, I do want to stay up to date with whatever comes next because Roon is my delivery mechanism for all sources into my main hifi speaker systems and my headfi rig - Iā€™m not sure how I could replace it as Qobuz doesnā€™t stream TO devices except in 16/44 Airplay mode.

But from experience I know this car play remote access thing is going to take up your time for many months and it is of zero interest to me, when there are so many other features and improvements that could have been worked on.

Oh well, Iā€™m not in charge and it seems this is a big deal for many, so Iā€™ll butt out and thanks for all the advice from folks and admin who are sure Iā€™ll be ok on 2.0 - bit of a pain for zero gain and what a let down after all the hype on Twitter :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

I did a quick comparison between the roon app and ARC app listening to the first track of Kieth Jarrets Koln concert. The endpoint is my galaxy fold 4 connected via ldac to fiio utws5 bluetooth receivers with shouer s12 iemā€™s. All this within the confines of my home wifi.
The roon app wins hands down as far as sound quality goes. The ARC sounds compressed and loses all of the lovely piano overtones. Havent tested it out in the car yet ā€™ cause im still trying to sort out the port forwarding.

@sanj_oh
Have you read the user guide and played around with the quality settings found in the ARC app?

I donā€™t have a use case for Roon remote and only out of curiosity I looked at the new app. Canā€˜t get it to work as my router makes problems with automated settings and I quickly stopped messing with it.
Had a quick look at the user guide and my impression is if it doesnā€™t work on first instance you are in geek territory and that ainā€™t meā€¦ā€¦

1 Like

Ive got it set on ā€˜use best qualityā€™ in the ARC settings

I thought as much, that has caught a few people out. Turn that off and also change the streaming quality to the highest setting and see how you get on.

1 Like

Ill give it a shot. Thanks

Guide here:

That did improve things, but i feel the roon app still wins out. Ofcourse the use case for arc is out n about which is a great feature.