Roon 2.0: From Rumors To Reality

Uhhh, ok. Black for me too then!

1 Like

https://twitter.com/roonlabs/status/1567226157480775689?s=21&t=KI7U4VXPTwaMdNKSf_zAkQ

I really hope Roon 2.0 includes a music service I know will not go out of business.

1 Like

Donā€™t see your logic here do you have insider info on the state of Tidal or Qobuz?if you expect Apple or Amazon your in the wrong place itā€™s been said too many times as to why it just wonā€™t happen.

2 Likes

A proper support system? :troll: :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Never say never. Auralic said the same thing for Amazon Music integration and they did it at the end.
Sonos as Apple Music and Amazon integrated, so itā€™s technically possible. No we are not in the secrets of the gods, and at a contract level, itā€™s maybe not so simple I admit.

So letā€™s us hope a little :slight_smile:

1 Like

Itā€™s not possible and be the same as how Qobuz or Tidal works. They donā€™t allow their data to be kept and used in the same way. This is why Roon does what it does and no one else does. Roon holds the full databases of Qobuz and Tidal on its own Roon server structure. Can you see Amazon or Apple allows by this? Roon doesnā€™t just use just the Api. Apples WebKit isnā€™t sufficient for any streaming system that uses its own player architecture itā€™s why you donā€™t see it anywhere other than web based apps or the small amount of Hardware vendors they allow it on. Amazon is still limited to mainly the big companies and again only via apis. The thing that they have in common is they favour hardware vendors not software.

If Love to see more services but not in a a compromised way like the others do. Bluesound Amazon is just dire.

6 Likes

Everyone above 40 wish they were below 40ā€¦ this is marketing :slight_smile:

Not everyoneā€¦ One of my friendā€™s friends doesnā€™t.

I sure as sugar donā€™t :blush:

2 Likes

.sjb

36 Likes

60 is the new 40ā€¦ ive been there and its true

No use for mobile, my audiophile system is in the living room, the couch to the beer fridge is as mobile as I need to be! :joy:

And anyway, when I want to go for a jog with my music I just load the Qobuz app and download a selection or a playlist? What would I need Roon for when out and about? Unlessā€¦ they are still stuck in the ā€˜everybody buys and downloads files or rips CDā€™sā€™ era? If so Iā€™m rapidly leaving them behindā€¦

3 Likes

If you use the features that Roon has over the streaming service apps, then using the streaming service app isnā€™t a replacement. E.g. Iā€™d like to see the correct credits that I laboriously edited. When Iā€™m out and about, I donā€™t necessarily jog but might be on a train for hours.
(As for buying CDs and files, much of the music I like is not on streaming services, soā€¦)

But anyway, different people use Roon differently and not every new feature must apply to everyone. Mobile is one of the most frequently requested features, so the vote there is clear

6 Likes

Agreed entirely. Iā€™ve spent way too many hours editing all of my local files according to Appleā€™s Style Guide (which not even the artists/labels uploading to the platform adhere to) and have painfully scoured for high res artwork for every album in my library. If it didnā€™t exist, I used upscaling software to get there.

I would love to be able to enjoy my curated library on the go.

My prediction: some sort of mobile/home/away feature and Deezer integration. And possibly, but far less likely, some sort of ui makeover.

Apple keynote is in a few minutesā€¦ sometimes they invite some small companies to the event ā€¦ who knows :wink:

100% right. Roon should never rival with streaming services but just use them to get own goals. If they go with ā€œRoon autoā€ they will lose on it - just watering down own resources that can be used better.

3 Likes

I suppose @Suedkiez is correct, each to their own :blush: but I have to say, with Qobuz now referencing the same bios and reviews as Roon in many cases, the usability gap is narrowing. At home I use Roon DSP for room correction, couldnā€™t live without it, but out and about Qobuz manages fine.

So yes I love Roon, but for a 100% streamer like me there are so many features that could be added, but just keep getting pushed back or ignored as the company concentrate on meeting the requests of those who collect and collate file libraries.

Features such as streaming service label search, and making finding original label versions easier (crikey just add the column for ā€˜labelā€™ to the damn version list - Iā€™ve been asking for that for years!) for a jazz fan of the 50ā€™s and 60ā€™s thatā€™s crucial. Also the way the software deals with classical is still way off what it could be, but I suppose Iā€™m in the minority - and thatā€™s always the problem with a democracy isnā€™t itā€¦ :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Any ruff timelines when we get more detailed information of what roon2 is? Im flexed to improve my listening experience :slight_smile:

1 Like