ROON 2.0 no longer supports USB output at NUC with ROON CORE

I have a rather complex Audio System that allows me to do live A/B/C… comparision with several DACs and AMPs.
Today I noticed a massive quality degradation when using my RME ADI-2 FS DAC in comparison to another (inferior!!) DAC - which wasn’t there before. It sounded as if there was a low pass filter applied. I checked everything and all was cabled correctly. When I switched the ADI-2 to using SPDIF, everything was fine again with the sound, as that signal was coming from a ROON BRIDGE via a USB-SPDIF converter / reclocker!
So I attached the USB cable to the ROON BRIDGE and all is fine again now.
BUT IT SEEMS that ROON has dropped USB support at the ROON CORE while migrating from V1.8 to V2!!??

Rock works fine for me and hasn’t changed at all to same RME DAC via USB in my listening. In theory 2.0 is busier with the arc stuff which could add more noise due to cpu activity but can’t say the RME is susceptible to this and it sounds the same to me.

No, I use a USB connection from my NUC ROCK V2.0 without any difference from V1.8.

Are you runnng ROCK or the Roon app on your NUC?

What does Settings==>Audio look like?

Roon Core Machine

NUC I3 (8GB, 120GB SSD) running ROON V2

Networking Gear & Setup Details

all connceted via LAN/Ethernet using a Router and network switch, no WiFi being used.

Connected Audio Devices

1. RME ADI-2 FS DAC directly connected to ROON CORE running on NUC
  2. RASPi4 as a ROON BRIDGE running ROPIEEE XL to support three other DACs via USB or USB-SPDIF converter/reclocker

Number of Tracks in Library

ca 15.000

Description of Issue

I have a rather complex Audio System that allows me to do live A/B/C comparision with several DACs and AMPs.

Today I noticed a massive quality degradation when using my RME ADI-2 FS DAC for the first time again after the upgrade to ROON V2 in comparison to another DAC which is connected via a ROON BRIGE (ROPIEEE XL) - which wasn’t there before. It sounded as if there was a low pass filter applied, the sound was muffled, highs missing, the acoustic room had massively shrinked (indicating a timing problem).

I checked everything and all was still cabled correctly. When I switched the ADI-2 to using SPDIF, everything was fine again with the sound, as that SPDIF signal was coming from a ROON BRIDGE via a USB-SPDIF converter / reclocker!

So I switched the USB cable from NUC to the ROON BRIDGE and all is fine again now.

Has ROON dropped USB support at the ROON CORE while migrating from V1.8 to V2!!??

@Dr_Klaus_Schmitt, please do no open duplicate threads. Thanks.

1 Like

Sorry, please leave the one in SUPPORT and delete the other! Thanks!

I’ve merged the posts into a single #support thread.

1 Like

Also, a screen print of your signal paths when you have output you like and not.

It is in the text…

No, it isn’t.

Settings==>Audio example -

Signal path example -

That’s OK. Good luck getting your problem resolved.

I just tried it for the first time to see what happens, and it worked fine for me. Running the latest Roon ROCK 2.0 on a NUC.

In Settings => Audio, my USB DAC appears when I plug it in, and disappears when I unplug it. If I enable it, select it for output and play something, it works great.

Hey @Dr_Klaus_Schmitt,

You have my sincerest apologies for the delayed response here, we’ve been dealing with a higher-than-usual volume following our release and we’re working as quickly as we can to get back to everyone.

Following up on this thread, are you still running into issues here? If so, can you indeed share a screenshot of your signal path when using the ADI-2?

I’ll be monitoring this thread for your reply :+1:

I have since changed my topology and have my RME ADI-2 now connected via

1. USB using a Raspberry Pi4 ROON BRIDGE running ROPIEEE XL
  2. SPDIF (Coax) using a USB-to-SPDIF converting Topping D10
    And now both connections deliver undistorted great sound and sound the same when I switch inputs at my ADI-2

If this is crucial for you to find out, I could revert the USB connection to the one before …

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.