Roon 2.0 Sound Quality

Please feel free to move this comment to the appropriate section.

ARC working perfectly - Congratulations. Being able to take my 1000’s of albums on the road is priceless. Did the Tags option carry over? If so, what is the location. I did a workaround by checking the Heart symbol which shows favourites.

Thanks

Thanks. I was curios about what is driving you to always seek improvements - and whether there is an end to that quest.

For some of us there is no end to the quest. Although sometimes there is an end to the money! :joy:.
For the OP, I don’t think 2.0 is a big deviation from 1.8 where it’s engine is concerned. It is all about the features. If the features aren’t needed let any bugs reveal themselves and be vanquished before adopting 2.0.

1 Like

Thanks Henry. I guess that I enjoy the pursuit as well as the music. I do enjoy experimentation. I am looking into adding HQP to see what that is like. I have however hit the end of what I can rationalize regarding a budget!

From the helpful posts here it seems like this is a pure feature update and not one focused on sound quality. Waiting a few+ days to let the dust settle on 2.0!

To admin and staff: Roon is great, especially when combined with Qobuz. it is one of the most satisfying purchases I have made in 40 years battling chronic audiophilia :crazy_face:

1 Like

Fairly certain she is a he.

Not that it matters! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Brandy, beer, whiskey, ice cream……

4 Likes

Probably matters to him.

1 Like

What SQ improvement exactly you’re looking for from bit-perfect-already player?
Is there anything specific you recognized to be wrong?

Ah, well, we’ll have to muddle along as best we can until there’s some way to indicate preferred pronouns on this forum!

3 Likes

Red wine preferably!

1 Like

I’m finding the response faster on MacBook Pro. [Could be my imagination]

Faster across all my Mac machines.

How can sound quality be improved? It’s just serving up a bitstream to your DAC.

Thanks for this

for what it’s worth these are screen shots of the signal path for Roon ARC playing on my iPhone speakers. The signal path is slightly different when playing on the iPhone and listening thru Bluetooth headphones. As any self-respecting audiophile will tell you, once you leave the realm of lossless audio you are just asking for your ears to bleed :rofl:

1 Like

Good point and you well may be right but perhaps we have not nailed down all of the variables that affect SQ yet? 20 years ago they called CDs “perfect sound forever”. Many folks feel that HQPlayer improves the output from Roon so perhaps we have not nailed the science down perfectly yet?

@hacker19. Thanks your question.

For others. I think that my original question has been answered. I am not going down the subjective/objective rabbit hole. I have seen it degrade other forums too often.

Enjoy our hobby. Peace to Eastern Europe!

They still do today, myself included. Hi-res is a hoax. I am serious.

HQPlayer does DSP, so it doesn’t deliver unchanged bits to the DAC. But even HQPlayer can’t improve the quality of the source; all it can do is outperform your DAC’s internal DSP.

1 Like

Perhaps the DSP algorithms could be improved? Wouldn’t affect those not using it, of course.

1 Like

Thx for sharing your thoughts. And very interesting to learn that the engine does not differ among vs 2.0 and 1.8. Nervertheless I was very surprised to experience a completely ‚new‘ sound stage listening to my system after updating to Roon 2.0. My wife - who is very sceptic on all those tuning stuff and sound improvements - asked whether I have bought new components as the SQ has been changed so much. Really amazing and some friends of mine also experienced this new more spacious sound stage. Something has changed after the update and I am looking for an explanation. I am very happy with Roon 2.0 …. Congratulations!