Roon 931 freezing, beachballing, on launch with Mac

Roon Core Machine

Include your operating system and machine info (Model, CPU, RAM)

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Your network gear (model of routers/switches) and if on WiFi/Ethernet

Connected Audio Devices

Specify what devices you’re using and their connection types, like USB/HDMI/Chromecast, etc.)

Number of Tracks in Library

Tell us how large your music library is, eg. “30,000 tracks”

Description of Issue

Tell us about the problem you’re having in as much detail as possible. Screenshots are always appreciated!

This update causes the Roon app to freeze on opening consistently. Roon ROCK on NUC core is updated just fine. The Mac app now freezes on opening. I got it open once out of 5 tries. You didn’t fix anything, you broke it badly.

Just to confirm. I restarted my core and after it was restarted (confirmed by web interface) I then restarted the Mac app (just updated to Build 931). It froze several times (for several minutes, spinning beach ball not even spinning). I had to force quit the Mac app each time. After trying to open it five times, it finally opened. I am now afraid to close it again.

Roon is the only app on my Mac that ever causes problems. It’s a train wreck. The Mac has 32 Gb of RAM and nearly 1 Tb of free disk space. There is no reason the app should be this unstable. The computer is connected by ethernet; there are three NAS on the network that literally never have a connection issue. Only Roon causes problems.

Hi @Charles_Dunlap

We’re sorry to hear that you’re having trouble. Did this behavior begin when you installed 931, or were you seeing it previously?

So we can better assist you, please provide a brief description of your current setup using the template I added to your post above.

Make sure to describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so we can have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating.

The problem started with the update to 931. No problems with previous version.

Roon Core Machine

Roon ROCK on NUC (NUC10i7FNH1). Version 931.

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Everything (NUC, Mac running Roon client app) connected by CAT 6a to 1 Gb Ubiquiti 24 port switch. WAN is 1 Gb Verizon FiOS. Ubiquiti security gateway and Ubiquiti controller. Nothing in music playback uses WiFi.

Connected Audio Devices

One USB DAC connected directly to Roon ROCK. DAC is Roon certified and USB 2.0 audio compliant. No issues with DAC ever experienced.

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

Previously provided. Following Roon 931 upgrade, Roon app freezes on launch, beachball appears but does not spin (or spins intermittently), Finder report “app not responding,” and force quit required after waiting several minutes for any response. Happens repeatedly, then occasionally app will open and operate. Once open, app seems to continue working.

Even if the Mac app is having issues, can you reach the Core via a phone or tablet app?

Also, can you detail the client PC a bit more? Mac Os version, RAM amount, etc.

1 Like

Yes, the Core is showing up just fine in the browser via its IP address pulling up its built-in web server. At no point following the 931 update was the Core not accessible and responding normally. I did reboot the core once after the 931 update was complete (e.g., the Core had already booted up with 931 installed and I chose “reboot” from it’s web page).

The Mac running the Roon app is a MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021); Chip: Apple M1 Pro; Memory 32 GB running macOS Monterey Version 12.3.1

With 931 the Mac app seems to hang on the pulsing circle as it starts up. If it advances to the “waiting for server” screen then it seems to proceed and open ok. Whatever it is doing at the earliest, pulsing circle stage is causing intermittent problems. I just restarted it, for example, and it got to the pulsing circle and crashed, aborting launch and closing the app. Then I restarted it again and it got through the pulsing circle to the “waiting for server” screen for a second and then opened.

The previous version was opening just fine. This behavior is unique to 931.

Nevermind. It also gets hung up sometimes even if it gets past the pulsing circle. I just restarted it again and it got hung up at waiting for remote core. Now it is doing that repeatedly.

The Core is visible in my web browser and I even rebooted it normally. The Roon app, however, is now stuck not seeing the Core.

Rebooting the computer finally got Roon to open again after getting permanently stuck not seeing the Core (which I could easily access from the browser on the same computer, as stated above).

I’m still waiting for a response from Roon on this. Is this where technical support requests should be posted? A week seems like long enough to wait.

The problem hasn’t changed. Crashing and freezing on opening frequently and at random.

Is Roon still in business? Was the technical support staff laid off?

This issue remains unresolved and Roon hasn’t replied in 10 days, after I complied with a request for additional details about the system.

What is the expected turnaround time for technical support?

Hi @Charles_Dunlap,

Thank you for getting back in touch with your system details, is the Ubiquiti a managed switch? Where does the Ubiquity security gateway fit into your network chain? Are you able to configure Roon exceptions through that?

Let’s start by checking your Private Relay settings on the Mac that demonstrating this behavior.

On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click Apple ID. Select iCloud > Private Relay.

On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud > Private Relay.

Your iCloud settings might take a while to load. In order to disable it, simply untick the box and click “Turn Off Private Relay” when the prompt appears.

If Private Relay isn’t being used please try uninstalling Roon on that remote, restart, then reinstall.

Please let me know if either of these steps helps. I’ll be watching for your reply and get back to you as soon as I can.

Hey @Charles_Dunlap,

I just wanted to circle back to see how things are going? If you do delete the app on your Mac you’ll also want to navigate to ~/Library/Roon and trash that folder. Removing the app alone won’t remove the cache and config data. (On Mac, hold down the Option key (or Alt)(⌥) to unhide the Library folder).

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.