Roon acquired by Harman International [Feedback]

Yes but when it’s talking over your GPS and the only way to fix it is to force stop the app and reopen it, it’s just not worth using in the car until they can fix it. To make it worse it happens 1 in every 3 times. So you never know when it’s going to be broken.

1 Like

That’s what I mean, you gotta pull to the side of the road? Pull off the interstate, hell to the nope. Make you miss your exit……my goodness no

I’m holding my breath that before the end of the year ARC 2.0 is announced and is more stable.

I’ll dial a 9 and a 1, get the o2 bottle handy :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

The Harman group is major player in automotive technology so it might be coming.

1 Like

I think we’ll get a surprise one of these days.

Easy to say – hard to do.

I was a coder for 30+ years. As more functionality is added to an app over time, and parts of the base code age, simple fixes become harder and harder to come by. Eventually – without a complete rewrite – nothing is “simple to fix”.

3 Likes

I’m an engineer by trade and my decisions are driven by experience, facts and data. Worked in the Medical Device industry for almost 35 years (started at 23 years old) so that’s the industry that I know inside out. During this time I worked with several start-up companies that ended being acquired by big corporations (top 10). The story was the same for each one. They promised nothing was going to change, that the value was in the people and culture….blahblahblah (almost like a carbon copy). One good thing, we did get compensated generously and fair, and I’m hoping all Roon employees received some compensation (bonus/stocks options) too. But, everything else went to Schiit.
A year and half later people started leaving or were let go.
That being said, I really hope that in this case the outcome is different. I love Roon and will hate to start looking for something different. 100 % understand people’s overwhelming pessimism.
Trying to navigate the middle between pessimism and optimism. :slightly_smiling_face:

14 Likes

Voicing out your anxiety is one solution to venting your negative feelings, but you should know that if you don’t do it in moderation, your negative feelings will never be satisfied.

OK, probably no need to speculate. We’ll find out soon enough.

3 Likes

Most streamers support a whole range of options , DLNA, Airplay Chromecast , Tidal, Qobuz, Spotify etc as well as Roon Ready

I am thinking of my CA CXN and Naim Uniti Atom. I have an up to date JRiver library feeding DLNA.

So I am covered anyway BUT the apps that can control any of these options be they the streaming service or the hardware are not a patch on Roon as we know it now,

I am annual and renew on Boxing Day , I’ll just let it run by next year it will have shaken itself out which ever way.

I am chilled , even in 30 deg heat here :smiling_imp:

3 Likes

There’s definitely something going on with audio at Samsung:

3 Likes

Whatever happened to the Speaker Lab in California ? It was a Harman setup designing hi end sound bars

I have a HW950 5.1 soundbar which while not hi fi is acceptable for background music, albeit DLNA

I think they binned it

These guys? Seems someone is doing something with it in Seattle now. I was in Southern California in the 70’s , actually I’m in SoCal right now. Marantz and JBL were SoCal companies as well.

Looks like it’s still around as Samsung Research, it spawned a range of better than avaerage sound bars and auxiliary speakers under the Harman banner

Samsung Research America's Digital Media Solutions Audio Lab Receives Best Technical Paper Award at AES Convention | Samsung Research.

…and what about car owners don’t own a Roon Core? This scenario would only scale in case the Roon Core moves into the cloud. Not sure, if that is the secret sauce behind the acquisition;-)

If you like chocolate, try Sara Lee Ultra Chocolate ice cream

1 Like

Danny did say at one point that if they ever are sure it’s the end, they will put out a final version that will allow people to keep using it locally.

Yeah, but that was always going to be crippled in the best case when they stop paying metadata licenses, and by now with more depending on the cloud it probably wouldn’t be something you’d want to keep using, I guess.

1 Like

Maybe it’s a coincidence but my Roon app quit working the day this takeover was announced.

I do indeed like chocolate. I like garbage and actual chocolate. One can’t eat the real deal all the time.
I also adore ice cream. Especially proper ice cream.
Thanks.