Windows 10 core

Network Details

Wired Ubiquiti network

Audio Devices

Several different USB and Roon Ready devices

Library Size

327,854 tracks as of this afternoon.

Description of Issue

I’m using a few different convolution filters, all created with 66K taps. All my filters have cfg and wav files for each sample rate from 44.1 through 352.8, and are in zip files for Roon.

I have presets in Roon DSP for each filter.

Roon always uses 66K taps for one of the filters, but adjusts the number of taps based on sample rate for the other filters.

Any idea why Roon acts differently for these different filters?

1 Like

Here are screenshots of what I’m talking about.

Filter 1 playing 44.1 kHz

Filter 1 playing 192 kHz

Filter 2 playing 44.1 kHz

Filter 2 playing 192 kHz

Hello @ComputerAudiophile,

Thanks for letting us know of this and for your extreme patience while we got a chance to reach your post :pleading_face:

I appreciate the detailed explanation and the screenshots. I’m sure it’ll be extremely helpful to our technical team :nerd_face:

They’ll reach back out on this thread.

Hello Roon,

Just a friendly reminder that this convolution issue still exists today. Please, when can we expect an update.

Kind regards,
Mitch

This has to rank high on the “please excuse us for the delay, we’ll be back to you soon” record book. Definitely not an issue vs. folks with gaps or who can’t play music, just aesthetically, well you know, a long time.

3 Likes

Getting a response from any support post is like the proverbial blood and stone.

1 Like

While we’re at it let’s fix that memory leak as well. Roon would frequently choke my old M1 Mac mini with 8GB of RAM. My new M2 mini has 24GB of RAM and Roon will happily use it all and dip into disk swap usage if I leave Roon running for more than 12 hours. I do not use Roon for convolution or resampling for these reasons.

Roon is a great app, the metadata is great. Fix the important stuff please.

1 Like

What am I missing?

My measurements were taken at 24bit/96khz using Impala and a UMIK2. The filter was made in Focus Fidelity.

Filter length @ 0.743/0.683 Seconds

Filters were exported as .wav and loaded into

Roon as a .zip file.

All 88.2khz and 96khz content has 66k taps

All 44.1khz and 48khz content has 33k taps

All 176.4khz and 192kHz content has 131k taps

All 352.8khz and 384khz content has 262k taps.

As track/sample rate changes the taps change. They are never different tap numbers than what I have shown above. For example it never reads 192kHz 66k taps or 44.1 262k taps.

Isn’t this how it is supposed to be?

“While we’re at it let’s fix that memory leak as well…”
Thanks Chad, second that. I was among the first to report this problem years ago and there’s still no fix. I’ve stopped using Roon until they do.

Interesting thread. I arrived here via ASR:

Same issue, but a little different this time. Now the 65,000 tap filter shows as 22,000 taps in Roon.

Hey @ComputerAudiophile,

Ben here with the support team, thanks for writing in and bringing this to our attention. As a next step, could you please upload your convolution filters here for our team to investigate?

I’ll be on standby for your reply. :+1:

Done. I uploaded filters for my speakers in my room.

1 Like

The first filters I uploaded will work fine, so I uploaded a second set that will display the issue.

1 Like

Thanks for the prompt follow up @ComputerAudiophile. Our team will take a closer look and follow up shortly.

Hey @ComputerAudiophile,

I wanted to give you a quick update - we were able to reproduce the issue in house, and have a ticket submitted with the team for a fix. I will continue to keep you in the loop with any progress.

In the meantime, happy listening :notes:

1 Like

Thank you @benjamin

Hey @ComputerAudiophile,

I wanted to let you know our team is still in the process of working out a solution to this issue, and that it has not been forgotten!

We appreciate your patience while we continue to work through this bug. :pray:

1 Like

Thanks so much @benjamin

I’m using ARC out in Los Angeles right now, so it’s all good :~)

1 Like

Hey @ComputerAudiophile,

Just dropping in to let you know a fix is still in progress, and that we haven’t forgotten about it! Thanks again for your continued patience in the meantime. :notes:

1 Like