Roon and BluOS Compatibility

I have a new NAD C658 streaming DAC that features Dirac Live room correction and the BluOS system.

I also run ROON, and have subscriptions to both Tidal and Qobuz.

I have found that when playing recordings in 88.2kHz 24.bit format from Qobuz, while Dirac Live is engaged I get the “Roon has lost control of the audio device” message. Apparently Roon doesn’t recognize that format from Qobuz while Dirac Live is also operating in the mix.

I know there has been much discussion about NAD products not being “Roon Certified”. Just wondering if there is a fix for this, or an upgrade in the future , or is it just the way it is?

Thank you.

Joe Houck

And NAD referred me to Roon.

I guess this is part of the reasons that products need to get certified. Turning “it may work” to something a bit more certain.
Roon and manufacturers (Hegel right now) have been burned in the past by overoptimistic release dates so mostly don’t comment at all.

Hi @Joe_Houck,

Since the NAD C658 is not yet certified, we cannot comment on the capabilities of it until certification has been completed.

Generally, we can’t comment on certification progress. Certification is a collaboration between two companies and requires testing + technical feedback from both our end and the other company.

If you reach out directly to the manufacturer, they might be able to provide some more details of how certification is going on their end, but on our end the answer here will always be the same - the device will only be certified once it’s ready and passes all the necessary checks, and until then we cannot comment how the C658 will perform with Dirac.

Same problem with Qobuz at same sample rate here. Regarding the endless “passing of the buck” between ROON and NAD: It has become quite tiresome.

Any update on this issue? Still persists in my setup

I would think that the C658 would be certified at this point since it is listed on both the Roon Labs and NAD websites as Roon Ready. According to this website a Roon Ready device is “certified by Roon Labs to provide the highest level of quality and performance in network streaming”.

I have a similar issue, though I am not streaming the song from Tidal or Qobuz but playing it from a file in my library. The file is an 88.2khz/24bit FLAC. It plays fine through my BluOS controller, with Dirac active, but when I select the song from Roon it pauses like it is trying to play the file then it just skips to the next song in the list. It happens for all 88.2khz/24bit files I have.

However, if I turn Dirac off Roon plays the file without issue. It cannot be an issue with the file or the C658 as it works fine when not using Roon, so it must be Roon itself or how it works with the C658 for these files.

I think Roon and NAD should take a look into this as this is not a rare file format for HQ music. The very reason to use Roon with a network DAC is to keep the file at a high quality until it is decoded and sent to the amp.

Not official support, but…I would hazard a guess that the issue is with Dirac trying to resample the incoming stream to 24/48. Does 24/176.2 work if you send it to the C658? It may be an issue with the different sampling rate family.

Anyway, Dirac is going to resample everything to 24/48, so, you could just set Roon to do the resampling and only send 24/48 to the C658.

The NAD is now certified, but the issue persists.

Doesn’t seem like it should be an insurmountable fix.

Someday?

@Joe_Houck , @Rob_Tapp,

At the roon or NAD side! Someday? Someyear?
A fellow sufferer… (not NAD) :cry:

Hi All,

Bluesound is aware of this behavior and is actively working on it.

1 Like

Sorry about the bump but this has plagued me for quite a while and was disappointed that the issue appears unresolved…

I have consistently had the same issue with the original version of the NAD M10. It is also not Qobuz-specific as Tidal tracks and tracks from my personal library with the same sampling rate are affected for me. Turning off Dirac LIve and then starting playback of the file in Roon, one can then reapply Dirac after the file starts playing without interrupting the song.

The issue does not occur when employing the bluesound app. Anyone have this issue resolved?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.