Roon and Bluos Devices - slow connection/response

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Linux/Diskstation DS918+/Roon 1.7 (Build 571)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Eero Pro router, wired connection to Diskstation (core) through Netgear S8000 switch, WiFi connections to NAD M10 and Bluesound Node 2i

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

WiFi connections to NAD M10 and Bluesound Node 2i controlled by Android phone or Windows 10 laptop.

Description Of Issue

When I stream music file through Roon I am regularly getting messages that Tidal media or an audio file from my library are loading too slowly and as a result Roon skips to the next track (and may skip through a few tracks) before playing. If I hit the back/reverse button, Roon will play the skipped track (most of the time). If I hit the forward button on a playlist or an album on Tidal (and from my own library), I can also get the same problem. Roon will skip tracks due to slow loading of the music file. I’d say the problem occurs 50% of the time.

I even have problems with to Live Radio. Roon stating the URL doesn’t exist anymore when I click on a radio station link and when I click the radio link again, Roon connects to the radio station!

Once Roon is playing an album, it is stable most of the time. But if I change albums or try to skip tracks, there is inevitably a problem. Also, when an album finishes and Roon Radio starts, tracks will also be skipped here continuously. I have same issue with Tidal playlists.

I do not see any of these problems when I control the NAD M10 and Bluesound Node 2i using the BluOS software on my phone or laptop. It is rock solid, I change sources, skip songs, etc and the connection/streaming is immediate.

1 Like

Hi @Frank_Farrell,

Do these same issues occur if you play to an endpoint besides the Bluesound devices? If you play to System Output of a remote for example do you see any of the same errors?

Hi Dylan,
I didn’t think of trying that. I enabled my Samsung phone and Roon seems to be quite stable when I use it to play music on the phone. I have had no track skipping etc so far. I have used Tidal on Roon and switched very quickly to different albums and songs on their playlists with no problems. If I do this on the BluOs systems, using Roon I have problems.

Hi,
I forget to mention that sometimes the BluOS units disappear from the Roon audio device listings and then return miraculously about 30seconds later, possibly longer! This happens when the track skipping occurs but not all the time! Roon always finds the BluOS units when I open up the software.

1 Like

I own the NAD C658, which is also a BluOS device, but I don’t have this issue. I’m running my Roon core on Windows though.

Hi @Frank_Farrell,

Is there any change in behavior if you try to temporarily connect these via Ethernet?

Hi,
The issue still persists even though it appeared more stable yesterday than this morning for some reason! I will try to connect the units by Ethernet cable but it won’t be today as I’m too busy. I will have to disconnect the units and bring them into a room where one of EERO routers are.

1 Like

Hi,
I see on another post that Roon have been able to replicate the issues that a number of us are seeing when using Roon with WiFi connected BluOS devices. I’ll hold off then on any further experimentation at home until Roon hopefully come up with a solution.

Hi @Frank_Farrell,

Yes, that is correct. We’re working with Bluesound to resolve these issues on WiFi, but do know that it will take a significant amount of time until changes are made in this area, it will require collaboration between us and BluOs. My suggestion would be to use Ethernet for the time being.

1 Like

Hi,
I’ll struggle on with the WiFi for now. The problem is annoying but it’s not the end of the world. There are far more concerning problems in the world at the moment.

1 Like

Okay. I was bored this weekend so moved one of my Eero Pro routers to beside the NAD M10. WIth an ethernet connection, Roon behaves and there is no skipping tracks etc.

Take the ethernet cable out, use a WiFi connection and the Roon connection is not stable. Tracks skipped, the Nad M10 disappearing from the available player list, etc,

1 Like

Hi @Frank_Farrell,

Thanks for the update here, since Ethernet works as expected, I would continue to use this connection method until the Bluesound investigation is complete.

These Blusound wifi issues are completely resolved on my Pulse Flex2i with the recent Bluos release 3.10.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.