Roon and Dynaudio Xeo Hub Issues

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Windows 10 Pro
Roon 1.8 (764)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

All wired, some 1Gbps, some 10Gbps.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Dynaudio Xeo Hub connected via USB.

Description Of Issue

Roon is having issues with the Dynaudio Xeo Hub.

The first issue was that after every reboot of the client machine (Mac Mini (M1)), the Xeo Hub’s left channel would be down 10.0 dB. Only the left channel. I removed Roon completely from the client machine (not the core) and this 10 dB issue was gone.

Now, Roon has issues listing duplicate audio devices for the Mac, and constantly trying to enable the duplicate of the Xeo Hub, and losing the audio device altogether.

If I disable the enabled Xeo Hub, and attempt to name the one that’s constantly trying to be enabled, Roon quits. It’s kind of a mess.

Here are some screenshots. In the last one, the Xeo Hub zone has totally disappeared from the list of selectable zones.

Here’s an image of Audio Midi, showing the -10.0 dB that happened upon every reboot, but only when Roon was installed. A fresh removal and reinstall of Roon fixed this issue, but created the other mentioned above.

Hey @ComputerAudiophile,

I’m so sorry about the trouble in maintaining a connection to your Xeo Hub and, even more that we didn’t get a chance to reply until today :pleading_face:

Are you still experiencing this issue? Have you also updated to the latest build (778)?

Thanks in advance :pray:

Hi @beka I’m back to the original issue of Roon reducing the volume of the left channel by 10dB each time I reboot my computer. I can reproduce it 100% of the time. Removing Roon and reinstalling Roon resolved the issue the first time. I haven’t removed Roon again just because it may be helpful for troubleshooting if I can create the issue easily for now.

Here’s a screenshot of Audio Midi. See the -10.0 for the left channel.

Hi. I’m using a MacMini which links wirelessly to a Cambridge Audio CXN (V2) and CXA61 amp. Listening is through KEF’s Q550s.

Until I read this comment, I had put the quieter left channel down to my age and possibly the arrival of deafness. No doubt, the left channel was a problem - I switched the speaker cables around and the quiet channel was then on the right.

Playing the same programme material directly via Tidal, both channels work perfectly.

Any advice please?

Hey @ComputerAudiophile,

Thanks so much for confirming that you’re experiencing the exact same behavior as before reinstalling Roon. Thanks @Paul_Perton for sharing that you’re seeing the same behavior.

I have moved this thread into our technical team’s queue so they can take a closer look at this and share some more insight.

Please, bear with us a little longer :bear:

Hello @ComputerAudiophile,

Thanks for your patience while we investigated this.

Based on what we’re seeing, this behavior appears to be unrelated to Roon.

We were able to reproduce the behavior without Roon or RAATServer running on the system by simply unplugging and replugging in a USB DAC device with discrete channel volume control. We tested using an Intel iMac and an M1 MacBook Air. In both cases disconnecting and reconnecting the DAC would result in one of the channels returning at full volume while the other retained its previous volume.

Here’s a screen capture (gif) of what it looks like in Audio Midi Control:

Some Google sleuthing suggests that this issue has been around for a while: Sound Balance Bug - Apple Community

It appears that someone has taken it upon themselves to improve things: ‎Balance Lock on the Mac App Store

Regarding the duplicated device issue, this is usually a result of using a time-machine backup/restore with Roon. If you’re still affected by the issue I can provide instructions on how to get it fixed.

-John

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.