Roon and HQP with Big Sur and Mac Mini

Yep. Are you planning an upgrade for this on Mac?

I think you need to ask this question to your DAC manufacturer. Not Jussi.

Add images

hm. not sure about this about asking the dac supplier. tried to macbook air m1 and iMac (i5). two different DACs. understand Jussi´s comment that it does not work on Mac NAA. Only Windows, Linux…?

exaSound have an ASIO driver for macOS.

You can ask your DAC manufacturer to create the same.

There’s nothing Jussi can do.

Ah, got you!! :slight_smile: Yes did explore for generic ASIO Drivers for Mac. But with latest Mac OS those generic Asio drivers are not working anymore on Mac :frowning: But you are right, if Apple allows it…lol…

1 Like
1 Like

" Mac OS X 10.15 no longer supports HAL plugins: Catalina Release Notes. On Mac OS X 10.15, the driver is CoreAudio only.
macOS Big Sur 11 / Monterey 12 no longer load kernel extensions, it’s not possible for us to provide an update."

:frowning: will use a RasPi as NAA…

1 Like

Yes but link I shared is related to official exaSound driver. So it is possible

Buy an exaSound DAC :slight_smile:

RPi4 for NAA is brilliant anyway

1 Like

Very very nice DACs from exaSound :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Robert (or @jussi_laako or anyone with Mac Mini M1)

With the newest HQPlayer Desktop for M1, can you share CPU loading screenshot for:

PCM48kHz music → upsampled to → DSD256x44.1 kHz

With poly-sinc-gauss-long and ASDM7ECv2

Two cases here, poly-sinc-gauss-long + ASDM7ECv2:

And something that pushes the hardware but still works, poly-sinc-gauss-xla + ASDM7ECv2:

1 Like

1 Like

Looks very comfortable for both of you.

Looks like your M1 is also running Roon on the same Mac Mini M1 @Robert_Anderson1 ?

Can you use your Mac Mini at the same time (doing web browsing, MS Office etc) and there’s no stutter with HQPlayer audio?

Seems to be a bit of headroom to do other things.

@jussi_laako any plans to start supporting the GPU part of Apple Silicon ?

Seems like Apple is taking this seriously so there’s a bunch of power being un-tapped by HQPlayer. But I imagine it’s a lot of work for you.

On the roadmap though?

No, so far what I’ve seen it is like many other things, geared mostly for graphical things and not supported by any commonly used API.

No, not at the moment. So far their support for scientific computing and HPC applications is pathetic at best. AMD is pretty poor as well (as we’ve seen from their level with ROCm), but at least they are sort of trying to catch up.

2 Likes

Yes, other software will run at the same time. Most of this happens in the efficiency cores which are not heavily loaded by HQPlayer. I do not have MS Office on this computer. But, I would not be worried about it overloading the M1 by running other software. On a different note, I only upsampled DSD to DSD256. Then M1 handles this fine, but it will not run the IIR3 Integrator. It more than stutters. My Sonictransporter i9 will run the IIR3. I also have a Macbook pro with the Max chip in it. And I am not able to do more with it than with the M1. I have both 2 channel and 5.1 channel systems in my home. I have to listen to Multichannel DSD files at 128 and IIR2 to get them to run. In this way the i9 and the M1 are similar. Both will play multichannel at the same 128 resolution. I am going to try the second generation Sonictransporter i9 to see if it will run multichannel at 256. I will let you know. It will be later march before I can get to this. Stay tuned.

1 Like

@jussi_laako Is there a separate component that could be plugged into the M1 that would be a better GPU solution?

1 Like

There used to be Nvidia GPUs for Macs. First built-in, and then in external boxes for Intel. But now nothing…

For GPU offloading, Nvidia is still best choice. AMD hardware is also decent, but their software side is same horrible junk it was already 10+ years ago. I just don’t understand how they can constantly fail so much on software front.

1 Like

Are you getting one of these @jussi_laako ?

Would love to… But currently the price is way too much. I’m still hoping to get an M1 Max MacBook at some point.

Too bad they didn’t introduce Mac Mini upgrade with M1Pro/M1Max…

1 Like