Roon and HQP with Big Sur and Mac Mini

At least for me it does…

1 Like

I am noticing significant performance improvements on 4.9.0 with the M1 Mac. Thank you! I am able now to use the ASDM7EC modulator at higher rates on both two channel and multichannel. I am curious why this is. Could it be the new SDM integrators and/or the NAA streaming performance improvements? Anyway, thank you.

1 Like

That works fine. Thanks for the input.

This part may have impact in cases where NAA output is used and some CPU cores are loaded close to 100%. The performance improvements reduce times the worker threads need to wait, and such leave more CPU time for DSP work.

Looking to try an Mac Mini M1 for Roon server + HQP. Will it run both w/ DSD256 upsample smoothly?

Is there a handy setup guide for first time HQP users? Thanks

I’m running a (dedicated) M1 Mini/8GB with ASDM7EC and poly-sinc-xtr-lp-2s upsampling to DSD256 with any stutter or gaps. The non-2s xtr don’t work gapless.

poly-sinc-ex2 is also running without problems at the same load.

Cores 5 to 8 show a 80-85% load, cores 1 to 4 something between 10 and 20%.

Well done Jussi! Thanks!

3 Likes

I am loving the ext3 filter. Thank you. It works on my i9 for (1X) 44.1 pcm to dsd256. Nice! The M1 Mac can only upsample to dsd128 with the ext3 filter ub the 1x position. I also tried the sync-m filter for the 1x filter and it works fine up to dsd256. However, I could not get the Mx to work at all. It is not that they stutter, they simply won’t play. The same with the sync-L and sync-s. Any suggestions? Also none of these filters work with in the NX position. Thoughts?

When testing and doing DSD256 output, please pay attention to source sampling rate. Since for example ext3 can convert from 48/96/192k to 44.1x256 rates. While sinc-M/Mx/S/L cannot.

Hello Jussi - Any progress on this? Thanks a lot.

@BrownMagic

The native version was first released on December 8th, 2020…

Release history:
https://www.signalyst.com

Worth checking every month or two.

Good afternoon, I recently bought a mac mini M1 to take care of roon and hqplayer, I don’t know if you have asked before, but is there a native version of hqplayer desktop for M1 without the rosetta (not the pro version that already I have seen it)?. If so, could you put the link for me? I have seen that roon also works for me with rosetta, is there a native version for M1? Thank you very much in advance and forgive my English. Greetings

Read a few messages before yours….

This is the only thing I have found from M1 but it is for pro, not desktop

Dec 21 2020 HQPlayer 4 Pro 4.10.0 released!
Support for parametric equalizers, and reading and writing WavPack files for both PCM and DSD content. Native build for new Apple M1 silicon. Component updates and bug fixes.

Look lower, earlier…

Thank you very much, it is what I needed, I get on with it.

1 Like

Good morning, solved yesterday I have a curiosity. I can’t get native DSD from mac mini if I use naa for mac I only get PCM and if I use CoreAudio I only get DoP by activating DoP in SDM Pack. Is there a way for me to natively reproduce DSD? My dac is a Cayin IDAC-6 MKII. If I use the naa externally through my rasberry it works natively perfectly. The connection of the mini is lan. Thanks and regards.

You cannot get native DSD from macOS… Only through a Linux or Windows based NAA.

Thanks Jussi, I’ll stick with rasperry then. Is there a technical or quality difference between native DSD and DoP?

Usually not much, but in many cases native DSD allows higher output rates than DoP. And using DoP wastes 33 - 50% of used bandwidth, so it just ends up sending much more data to the DAC than is actually needed.

1 Like