Roon and HQP with Big Sur and Mac Mini

Thanks, Jussi. What’s your opinion about M1’s performance for HQPlayer?

Seem to perform about the same as equivalent category recent Intel CPUs. Which is pretty good result for an ARM CPU. So we could expect some bigger future CPUs from Apple to keep matching their competition.

Good thing with the the M1 powered new Mac Mini seems to be that although it has a cooling fan, it is still relatively quiet and cool. So could be used in listening spaces.

EC modulators at DSD256 are too much for the CPU, but regular modulators work fine to DSD256 with filters like poly-sinc-ext2.

1 Like

Oh…

Then I’ll wait some more.

After Jussi upgraded the software to be M1 compatible, I am running the DSD5EC modulator with poly-sync-ext2 and upsampling to DSD256 no problem (two channel) at about 50% processor usage. The M1 will upsample all PMC files. It does stop-gap with these setting when converting and upsampling PMC192 (with may be a software issue as the processor is not running any higher). Everything less than that works fine. It will upsample all DSD files to 256. I don’t have DSD files higher than that. Multi channel seems to work with these settings but will not upsample to or run DSD256 5.1 multichannel. Multichannel seems to work fine at 128, although I did experience a problem with music being overlaid with static running multi channel. I am still trying to track this down, but I am impressed by the Mac Mini M1.

1 Like

@Speed_Racer you could ask @Robert_Anderson1 above more questions. He has Mac Mini M1 and HQP and is here !

Have you used the ASDM7EC modulator upsampling to DSD256 with the poly-sinc-ext2 filter? What did you think?

I will check it out tomorrow. I am sure it will work for some files, but will it work for all files upsampling to DSD256?

I have been told that it does work. Are you running the Roon Core on the same Mac Mini M1 as the HQPlayer?

Yes. I am running the Roon Core on the same M1 Mac Mini.

That is probably not going to allow for the more CPU hungry ASDM7EC modulator to be used…

Not if Roon is importing a new library and doing background analysis on full throttle…

But if Roon isn’t doing those things, I think it might be ok… only a guess but @Robert_Anderson1 can hopefully confirm.

ASDM7EC glitches out on DSD64 upsampled to 256 and of course does not play 256 (it glitches). Now it is strange because the processor shows plenty of capacity left (in the neighborhood of 40% idle). Perhaps there are future software optimizations that can help. It glitches playing DSD256 down sampled to 128, but at 128 everything else seems to play just fine.

Did you make sure this Multicore DSP was checked?:

Yes, that is a must. All my comments were made with multi core checked.

Interesting. A Mac Mini M1 running just HQPlayer is supposed to be able to handle the ASDM7EC modulator and upsampling from DSD64 to DSD256 just fine…

I am using NAA, not direct usb output. Would that make a difference?

How do you know it should work?

I haven’t read any post of anyone upsampling DSD64 source material to DSD256 with EC mod yet…

PCM source material seems fine with poly-sinc 2s filters. Is that correct @Robert_Anderson1 ? No issues with PCM source material?

For 2 channel playback, I have not had problems up sampling PMC files as high as 384k with all of the filters I have tried. I do not use the -2s filters. So PMC is good. All PMC files upsample to DSD 256 except 192k. I am still tracking that down, but it glitches. All DSD files upsample to 256. Multichannel is a different story. More to report on that but you can read my earlier comment.

2 Likes

Hi Robert. When I mentioned PCM, it was only for source material.

For PCM192k to DSD256 upsampling , if you try the “2s” variants, does it work for all poly-sinc filters ? With EC mod of course.

Should now work with set to grayed (auto), since I’ve adjusted the auto-tunings for M1… So better leave it at auto now.