Roon and the Auralic Aries

I know integration with the Aries is planned. I have an Aries, and it is connected to my only DAC. So my question is do I need to wait till this integration is available before I can start using Roon ( which I will also install on a Mac and a iPad (when available) with my Aries and DAC to playback music?

Thanks.

Barr

I know, I am responding to myself, so is the Aries integration so that the Aries will show up as a device to any Roon client that it turn can send music to the Aries/DAC?

And if this is the case than I guess the Roon server would not be installed on the Aries or am I wrong?

I am trying to figure out how this would work. Currently I can control the Aries and playback via control point software on my iPad, be it the Aries client ( Lightning DS) or using something such as the Lumin control point or Linn Kinsky. Further I can also control playback to the Aries from my Mac, using Linn Kinsky or Kazoo.

Sorry for all the questions. But I am so excited about this product!

I plan to buy an Aries or another “hardward partner” product; will they be available including a pre- installed version of Roon?

You install Roon on any PC/Mac that stays on preferably.
Roon find all your supported devices.

You can start with just your local output PC/Mac output in exclusive mode or say an Airplay device until the proper device support is released.

@danny. Thanks for the detailed explanation on CA, I now understand how it all fits together. I know it is early days with work on the Aries, but once supported as a device, and if I am using Roon on a MAC, does Roon know specifics of the device (ie Aries) such as whether it supports DSD64, DSD128, and DSD256, and whether it can accept DSD sent as DoP or natively? I know it is early days for DSD as well.

Or does Roon and Roonspeakers pass the audio much like a music server such as MinimServer does the the Aries and based on how the Aries is configured it will either pass DSD natively or via DoP to the DAC attached to it?

This is similar to how one can configure the Aries for DACs that support DSD or not, and if the DAC does not support DSD you can configure the Aries to convert DSD to PCM.

The RoonSpeakers protocol supports communicating capabilities, and will always let the device dictate what it wants, in the order that it wants. Our integration with the Aries will surely include that. We also support little control commands like standby if the device can be turned off or convenience switching if it supports multiple inputs.

@danny thanks for the reply, that is wonderful news, you guys really have thought this through quite a bit. Looking forward to the integration, and meanwhile I have purchased the software and will take more time to learn how it works and to enjoy it.

1 Like

Hi, I know you guys are probably swamped with questions just wondering if you can give us any indication of when we may see Roon integration in the Aries? Thanks.

@redcoat28 – we are quite open with our roadmap, but I dont want to give you promises I can’t keep.

When the High End Show is over in Munich this weekend, our plan is to meet with Auralic’s development team and get going on that work ASAP. Whether that turns into weeks or months or many months, is a matter of discovery once the development work begins.

They have been very eager to work with us, and we are eager to work with them. This is usually the biggest hurdle in these types of relationships, so I’m hopeful this will be faster rather than slower.

3 Likes

@danny Does this mean the Auralic Aries Mini will also be supported? This seems to be the perfect solution for me. My ideal setup is a streamer with an integrated DAC in the living room and one single library/interface for both the living room and the desktop.

Cheers

@sete – it is our plan.

1 Like

@danny Thanks. Can’t wait.

hi @danny … I just bought a Auralic Aries to help me get the most out of Roon … looking forward to when I can use the Aries as a Roon Endpoint … can you provide a rough ballpark indication of how far away?
A month or two ? Not impatient, more just curious, and respect you have a lot of other stuff going on. Keep up the great work & thank you again for all your help.

@duke, we are telling hardware manufacturers that we are dropping reference code and documentation to them by sept 1. thats the only date i have.

3 Likes

@danny That is good news … thank you Danny !

@Duke: I’m curious, are you able to use Aries with Roon at all? Just wondering if it’s worth getting it until it’s completely supported by Roon.

@Anil_Kalagatla - Not Duke but I have an Aries as well. At the moment, unless one enables the Aries as an Airplay device to stream music to, there is no method to use the two together.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply @bplexico is this a simple thing to do? Sorry about the dumb questions as I’ve never used airplay before (or any other streaming services for that matter, other than Roon).

[Edit] After doing some search I also see that Aries (probably) only supports Airplay v1 while Roon only supports Airplay v2 devices. Has this changed recently?

Thanks again,
Anil

Hi Anil,

Short answer : I am very glad I got the Aries to use with Roon even though Roonspeakers is not yet available.

Long answer : see below

I was using an Apple TV 3 and streaming Roon … recently got my Auralic Aries (full version) and Roon is streaming fine. I have Roon installed on my Macbook.

Setup was very easy in the Aries iPad app (Lightning DS) … I just had to click on “enable Airplay”. Then Roon found the Aries as an available Airplay device… I just had to go the “Settings” in Roon, took a few moments to enable it for sound output.

It was that simple.

I had a brief play with the Auralic’s Lightning DS software … though I have been spoiled by the outstanding user interface that Roon provides , so just now use Roon. Until Roonspeakers becomes available for the Aries, I need to use Airplay which resample everything to 16/48. I am usually very sensitive to any resampling, normally I just can not stand it, yet I think Roon must be using some special resampling because this is the very first resampling that has not bothered me … ever.

So, until Roonspeakers becomes available for the Aries … in a way, the Aries is behaving as an expensive Airplay device, though one that is better sounding than the Apple TV (which is not hard because while I am an apple fan … I have never really cared for the sound of the Apple TV). Not perfect or ideal yet… for the Aries … until Roonspeakers becomes available … but still a step up (even with Airplay resampling) over the Apple TV.

As for the Auralic Aries, it took me two hours to setup (I used to work as a Network Administrator back in the 1990’s looking after Airports) so found it fairly easy, though that time included heading off to the supermarket to get 2 AAA batteries for the Auralic Aries remote control (they are not included) and getting some dinner. I also played with Lightning DS (Auralic’s software) and while it is good … Roon is great. So if I had my time again, I would just focus on setting up the hardware & networking component of the Aries, it would be easier and take less than 30 minutes.

The performance of Roon with the Aries has been rock solid … no dropouts.

I strongly recommend following @bplexico network recommendations on setting up the Aries … like giving it a dedicated IP address and such (like putting the Aries on a 5 gHz WiFi, along with my iPad and Macbook … I put my other non music devices on the the 2.4 gHz WiFi … that is something that is worthwhile to do).

Anil, see the “Auralic Aries Hardware” thread on Computer Audiophile … search for posts made by @bplexico. He has been incredibly helpful to the community.

My experience with streaming Roon to the Auralic Aries is very positive.
Hope that helps.

John

2 Likes

Wow, thanks for the super detailed answer John (@Duke)! I’m sure this will be very helpful others that may be considering this option as well.

Anil