Roon and the Auralic Aries

Anil, I am glad I could be of some help to you and others.

The community here has been exceptionally helpful and friendly when I needed help,
so was just trying to help someone out in kind … though I do not post often (very slow typer).

My Aries is still fairly new, so I am not an expert on it, though I also noticed that it improved over the first 100 hours (maybe burn-in ???) though did not notice any further improvement after that. I used a kill-a-watt device to measure the wattage and it is just drawing 8 to 9 watts when turned on … so I just leave it on all the time.

Anyway, the Aries is a purchase that I do not regret … just like I do not regret subscribing to Roon. I find it a wonderful combination … and one that will only get better once Roonspeakers is released.

John

Hi all,

Aries owner here hanging out for RoonSpeakers. I’m using USB direct to my (Vega) DAC atm because I found Airplay just a bit too laggy and wanted to have a hi res option.

Anyhoo, reason for my post is that I was in touch with Mr. Wang of Auralic in August regarding a bug (incompatibility with SMB as implemented on Asus routers; fixed in recent Lightning DS build). I took the opportunity to ask how Roon support was coming along. He said it would take Auralic about two months from release of code by Roon (which so far as I’m aware has not yet occurred).

I didn’t ask what additional features might be implemented. I just want to get a functional network connection from the Roon Core to the Aries and additional features can introduce themselves in due course.

At this stage it might still be possible before Christmas, but the window is narrowing.

1 Like

@andybob Thank you for your post … I actually logged into Roon Support forums tonight to check if there was any updates on Aries/Roon integration… so your information is appreciated. I am also very keen to see this integration happen.

John

I am considering an Aries Mini: small, integrated hard drive, single box utility solution for a secondary system.
Assuming (I will wait to see) that this will be able to run as a Roon endpoint, I am curious how Roon will stream data from the local drive to the local Roon endpoint. Does this mean a complete round-trip of Aries Mini to Roon server to Aries Mini or does Roon server direct Roon endpoint to pull the stream from the local disk. If the former then it is still one box less than having a NAS. If the latter then a clear benefit vis a vis network traffic (and potential problems).
Does anyone have any insight into this?

As general principle, RoonServer gets the files from where it needs them (could be local, or on network), and then sends them to the endpoint(s).

There is no benefit for an end point to have local storage as the data stream would be pulled to the Roon Core first, processed and then sent back to the the Remote. I think this is undue network traffic. Now, there is a ton of benefit if you keep your music local to the Roon Core.

IMHO, the best configuration is for the Roon Core and Music files to live together far away from the stereo. And you have a Roon Remote receiving the data via ethernet and the whole thing managed by a Roon control point, aka, tablet.

Thank you - you confirmed my suspicion regarding the Auralic Mini disk option. Yes, right now I have a NAS with double Ethernet into a switch shared with the server. I gave up on Roon server until Roon endpoints become available and the metadata solution evolves another generation. The Aries Mini looks like a compelling value for a Roon endpoint, if that materialises and regardless of the utility of a local disk. Now we wait…

Indeed, now we wait, as my Aires Mini will not be “complete” till Roon support is added as well… :sunglasses:

Andybob - I’ve got to say I’m disappointed to see that the window has clearly closed. Bummer.

Twiddling thumbs… waiting for RAAT. :slightly_frowning_face:

I share your feelings Steve, but fortunately we can console ourselves with music … and Fallout 4 !

Andybob - I’m too much of an old fart to enjoy Fallout 4 (but wish the best for those that do! My progeny included… )

So music will have to remain my solice. Posted my discontent in the hopes of helping to keep the powers to be focused on that particular priority.
:slight_smile:

Fallout for the win.

here comes the first picture:

1 Like

Very nice! Can’t wait to load this up at home!

Did a re-start and no update, any special thing?

Well I suspect they have not yet published out the firmware update…my comment was more along the lines of “cannot wait to load this up at home when it becomes available…”

Yes, I am impatient! :grinning: I hoped the picture was from an “end user”.

Actuality it becomes relevant when the source is not 16/44.1 only. We can get this already with Airplay.

Hope we can try it soon with our high res sources and maybe with MQA from Tidal a little later. Then we will see what it brings.

MQA support has been withdrawn now as MQA will only certify equipment with DACs in. New firmware without MQA being created.

This information is now out of date (correction on the Auralic FB page). We need to let the dust settle on this one.