Roon API exported as OpenAPI RAML WADL etc

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

ROCK build 227

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Gigabit ethernet

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

2 USB DACs, HifiBerry HD Pro, integrated tube DAC/Amp, Mac Pro digital out

Description Of Issue

I am looking for an exported document describing the Roon API in a format that can be imported into Postman. Supported formats include OpenAPI, RAML, WADL, GraphQL, and cURL. I am working on applications that leverage the Roon API including language bindings. It would greatly ease my development process were I able to easily import such a document into Postman to view the various Roon API endpoints and their documentation.

Hello @Ronald_Record ,

We have documentation regarding our API at the following link, have you by any chance looked over this guide yet? Does this help? Let us know!

1 Like

Hi, thanks for the response. Yes, I have looked at the API documentation and appreciate it. My suggestion is to utilize Postman to provide more thorough and utilitarian documentation and utility. Postman offers a lot of features to the developer and provides a very easy way to export/import and explore an API. If you are not familiar with Postman, I would encourage you to check it out.

Here is an example project, MagicMirror, that has exported its API so that Postman can use it: MagicMirror Remote Control API

It’s just a suggestion. I think once you have seen how powerful and easy to use Postman is you will adopt it as a valuable tool in your development environment.

Postman has a pretty good learning center at https://learning.postman.com/docs/getting-started/introduction/

I must admit I havnt looked at postman, but I thought it was for web APIs ie stateless HTTP calls?

Roon session is not that at all, so postman would appear to have no place at all. The API in the SDK is a javascript wrapper over a TCP connection using message based communication (request/response and subscribe/notify type messages) and assumes state at both ends.

Thanks for the reply. You may not be able to use Postman. I have only used it in conjunction with RESTful interfaces. Postman supports REST, SOAP, and HTTP.

I should probably learn more about the Roon API before chiming in with my 2 bits.

Thanks for creating an API for Roon. Perhaps one of the projects that have implemented an HTTP API for Roon as an extension would benefit from Postman.

Carry on, nothing to see here :slight_smile:

Heh - this is not the API you are looking for… move along :wink: