Roon App cannot find my Roon Core Nucleus any more after disconnecting/restart

Hi:

I would very much appreciate some help with connecting to my Roon. Basically, I am not able to find my my Roon Core (which is a Nucleus) any longer. It had been working fine for a couple of weeks or more since I first installed it. Then last night after disconnecting and reconnecting the Nucleus and my ethernet cables to try some other changes (which didn’t work, see below for details) I am not able to see the Nucleus any more. The light beneath the Nucleus’ ethernet connection is blinking, so that seems to be fine. However in the Roon App, the Nucleus is not being found.

I have a Verizon FiOS box and wifi router set up in the bedroom. I connect my living room audio set up to the FIOS setup in the bedroom via a long coax cable that goes into an Action-tec Bonded MOCA 2.0 cable-only (no wifi) ethernet adapter modem. The Actiontec is located in the living room with all my audio set up and does not provide wifi, only an ethernet connection. The Actiontec is connected to a Cisco 5-port ethernet switch which is also connected to my Nucleus and to my DCS Network Bridge. I connect to internet on my Roon Remote via a wifi signal from the main Verizon Router in the bedroom. This set up was working fine until last night when I tried making some changes (details below).

As I said, the changes I tried to make last night failed, so basically now I am trying to go back to the original set up which worked for the last couple of weeks until last night. The change I was trying to make was to implement a bridged ethernet network on the Nucleus bypassing my Cisco switch.

Here are details about my hardware:

**Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number): Roon Nucleus V1.0/94C691115A93/Build Number 174

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet): Verizon FIOS wifi & ethernet cable router --> Actiontec Bonded MoCA 2.0 Ethernet to Coax Adapter (ECB6200S02)

Cisco 5 port small business switch - Cisco SG100D-05

Endpoint DCS Network Bridge ethernet

Thanks very much for the help.

First thing, Locate the power switch and ensure the nucleus is powered up, not as obvious as you might think.
Secondly connect a monitor, keyboard and mouse to the nucleus so you can look at the network configuration.

Hi @Hasan_Latif,

Just to verify I’m correct here:

• Things were working fine wit this network configuration Verizon FIOS wifi & ethernet cable router --> Actiontec Bonded MoCA 2.0 Ethernet to Coax Adapter (ECB6200S02)
  • You changed the configuration to remove the switch, but this didn’t work
  • You returned things to the original configuration but you’re still seeing issues

Is this correct? Can you elaborate on the changes you had tried to make to your network that didn’t work for you?

Can you confirm whether or not you are able to access the Nucleus Web Administration Interface?

Hi @dylan
Thanks for getting back. Answers below:

• Things were working fine wit this network configuration Verizon FIOS wifi & ethernet cable router --> Actiontec Bonded MoCA 2.0 Ethernet to Coax Adapter (ECB6200S02) - YES
  • You changed the configuration to remove the switch, but this didn’t work - YES
  • You returned things to the original configuration but you’re still seeing issues - YES

I should correct say that the light ethernet port of the Nucleus is sometimes on steady, and sometimes blinking. I suppose that is the correct state?

The change I was trying to make was to use a USB-ethernet switch for the Nucleus to receive the internet signal from the Actiontec adapter, while using the Nucleus’ ethernet port for the DCS Roon endpoint. There is a set of required configuration steps needed that I did not get to make either as I was not able to see the Nucleus from my Roon App when I made the new cable connections. BTW as you probably know those steps were laid out by your colleague Danny Dulai, and some helpful Roon users gave me some tips about that here:

However, I did not get very far implementing any of those changes beyond making the cable changes which did not work.

Finally, I should also mention that when trying to go back to my original configuration, as it didn’t work, I tried to give the Roon App some trial IP addresses (I am not sure they were the right ones though, just addresses I could see in Apple Remote app) using the Help function link beneath the “Looking for your Roon Core” sign. I mention this just in case this threw things off. I have however started and restarted Roon and the computer many times so this should have reset. Is there some way I can reliably determine the IP address of the Roon Nucleus? Would that help?

Thanks very much.

@Ratbert, Thank you for the ideas. Yes, the Nucleus is correctly powered up.

Second, I suppose I can just disconnect the Nucleus and take it over to my Samsung TV in the bedroom and use the HDMI there. I won’t have the same connections over there. Will that matter? What network configuration items should I check please?

Thanks again

Well, if the Nucleus is like Rock; then if you have a monitor on it, it might be displaying the IP address, as mentioned by Ratbert above. OR, you could use Fing on your phone which traces all the IP devices in your network.

Thanks @rugby, I found the IP address for Nucleus using Fing. At least I think it is the Nucleus. It seems to be identified as: “Nucleus.fios-router.home” and Fing says it is associated with EliteGroup Computer Systems (which appears to be a NUC manufacturer). This device - presumably my Roon Nucleus - seems to be on and working. But the Roon App still does not find the Nucleus! Does that mean that, as Ratbert said, one of the configurations on the Nucleus needs to be adjusted. Is there a way of doing a factory reset/restart? Would that help?

Also, FYI, I have just downloaded Roon onto my Android Samsung now, and there too the Roon App is not being able to find the Nucleus. Up to now I had been using the Roon App on my MacBook Air only.

Thanks again

@Ratbert, @dylan, any thoughts on this too?

Many thanks for the help

Is the ip in the same range or subnet as the clients. Ex. 192.168.1.x. where the 1st 3 contacts are equal?

@Rugby, you asked “Is the ip in the same range or subnet as the clients. Ex. 192.168.1.x. where the 1st 3 contacts are equal?” Answer is YES.

Also I just connected the Nucleus to a TV monitor in the bedroom and confirmed the IP address as the same one as above that I see in Fing. While there, I also connected an ethernet cable from the Nucleus to the Verizon FiOS router in the bedroom and this enabled me to find the Nucleus in the Roon app. However this success was not of much use in terms of getting audio as my DCS Network Bridge in the living room is connected to the ActionTec ethernet adapter and still could not be found by the Roon app.

I should say that in any case I do have a preference as far as possible to keep the Nucleus in the living room where it was originally. And I don’t want to stream to the DCS NB as the SQ is much better with an ethernet cable connection.

@Ratbert, I am thinking the network configuration must be correct if the Nucleus works from the bedroom, right?

Since the above I have now tried the Nucleus back again in the living room, and it still doesn’t show up in the Roon app with the Actiontec adapter ethernet connection. The ethernet port connections in the switch, Actiontec and Nucleus all look fine, i.e., they are blinking as they normally would so I believe they are working fine.

Whereas of course as I said above it does work in the bedroom if it is connected to the Verizon router.

I think the problem is that the Roon App is no longer able to see Nucleus if connected through the Actiontec. Does that make sense? Are there any settings I need to check in Roon app? Or any network settings in the Nucleus itself?

Thanks very much for any further suggestions.

I would try using a netgear switch instead of the cisco. Like the one below.

Thanks @rugby. I do have one of these switches you recommend so I can try it again if needed.

Also, the good news is that the connections are working again. I believe the issue may have been I needed to do a hard reset of the Actiontec.

Many thanks all.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.