Roon App Crashes Randomly on Windows 10

Roon Core Machine

• Dell XPS 17 (9710) running Windows 10 with latest patches / updates / BIOS / drivers

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Router: Google Nest Wifi routers and mesh extenders

• XPS 17 has a wired connection

Connected Audio Devices

• Chromecast audio
  • Windows 10 laptop running Roon app
  • Pixel 5 phone running latest Roon app
  • Sonos One

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

SUMMARY: I recently installed the Roon core on my Dell laptop. Previously I was using another device, and using the Dell as a client.

I find that the application crashes when I bring the window to the foreground. This does not happen all the time, and is not related to how long the application has been in the background. For example, it was fine this morning after being hidden all night. However, within the space of 30 minutes, it crashed.

I tend to get crashes several times a day.

The exact sequence is:

• bring Roon app to foreground
  • app window renders correctly
  • about 1-2 seconds later, my mouse cursor changes to a spinning icon.
  • a further 1-2 seconds later, the app crashes.

This can occur irrespective of whether music is playing or not.

I suspect this is graphics/driver issue but I can’t put my finger on exactly why. When I was using the same laptop as a client only, I would sometimes see a red X running across the diagonals of the screen, moments before the window closed; my recollection from my programming days is that this could be related to the viewport rendering.

My laptop has an nVidia GeForce RTX 3050, as well as an onboard Intel adapter. Both are up to date.

1 Like

5 posts were merged into an existing topic: Roon keeps crashing when resuming from minimized [Roon Investigating]