Roon appears confused about two similar devices (again)

Thank you, @Dr_Klaus_Schmitt ! @spockfish here are the identifiers:

a169c6d9426d5d10
195abdc4ca235d4a

1 Like

So I did a thorough check of the logs.
On the RoPieee level there’s nothing special to see: all is good.

One thing that I’m seeing in the Roon Bridge / RAAT logs which caught my eye is that there’s a ‘machine_id’ that contains a UUID. And… they are the same on both units.

I’ve checked this on my various units, and on those these are different.

So support team:

• could this explain the confusion of the Roon server?
  • how is this id created?

Thanks

2 Likes

I’m not Roon support, but …

1. Yes, Roon Server will see the same ID and that creates a conflict and instability.
  2. A unique ID is generated when Roon Bridge is installed.

@Ingo_Weiss, I’m wondering did you install Roon Bridge separately for each Pi, or did you clone the install from one device to the other?

I would recommend, wiping one of the Pis and starting the installation from scratch (no cloning).

2 Likes

No need to wipe the entire SD card, you can re-install RoonBridge from the ‘advanced’ menu in RoPieee.

But I think we’ve been here before, so assuming that Ingo did not clone or copy an SD card I’m still interested to know from the Roon team if this UUID is created based on some sort of seed, because the whole UUID being the same to me feels fishy.

1 Like

Both SD cards were flashed from the same image download directly from the RoPieee website, so I did not clone a configured RoPieee installation.

@spockfish here are feedback identifiers after re-installing Roon bridge on both devices:

f9de3d775b5b1f7b
1ee68563b0ad3537

Yeah we need the Roon team.

The units again have the same machine-id. I’m not saying that this is the problem, but at least it’s weird as it seems to be a UUID.

Thank you, @spockfish ! How does one attract the attention of the Roon Support team around here?

Tagging @support for this thread, but they seem to be under-staffed so in might be awhile.

@support I would still appreciate help since the problem persists:

1. I have 2 streaming endpoints BUT
  2. Roon appears to think they are one, i.e.
  3. I see only one device in the zone menu
  4. When I select it, Roon randomly chooses which device to stream to (which was entertaining for a brief moment but gets old very quickly)

I have the same issue and you explain that better than me in my own post.

I hope they will solve.

Hi @support,

The first tag is now more then a week ago. When can this user expect a response?

Thanks

Would it make sense to open another thread directly in the “Support” category? Maybe the flagging of @support doesn’t work from here for some weird reason??

This thread is already in the Support section.

It seems like Roon support is really under-staffed, so it takes awhile for them to participate.

Hi @Ingo_Weiss,

Thank you all for your patience and allow us to provide some clarity here.

There are two ways to refresh your database: a RoonServer reinstall, ie. your entire database, and a RAATServer reinstall, the Zone profile portion of your database. RAATServer is componential to RoonServer, so when you fully refresh RoonServer, you’ll wipe out your Zones.

If you want to delete retained Zones, including any DSP profiles and settings, groups, names for Zones, etc., then you can perform a RAATServer refresh independently of RoonServer by renaming only the RAATServer folder within your database location, effectively resetting the Roon → Audio tab to default factory settings. Restoring from a Backup will bring back DSP profiles, but you’ll need to rename identified Zones.

Here’s how to refresh RAATServer alone:

• Create a Backup of your current Roon database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “RAATServer”
  • Rename the “RAATServer” folder to “RAATServer_old”
  • Restart the Roon App to generate a new RAATServer folder
  • Restore from Backup if you wish, but verify if the problem still occurs first.

Please try this at your convenience and then attempt to reproduce any of these originally reported symptoms:

Additionally, diagnostics show a large volume of timeouts associated with the Tidal prebuffer, as well as more broad client connection failures to your Remotes and Zones. Are you experiencing any network interruptions on this network, and are you able to elaborate on how you’ve setup your LAN (routers, switches, and their relative configuration). That should help us minimize variables as the team proceeds with our investigation.

Thank you again for your patience, we understand this has simmered for some time but we’re eager to work with you to pin down a root cause and solution.

Thank you very much for the reply! Since I have previously refreshed my entire database (restoring from backup) which did not resolve the problem, I would like to try refreshing just the RAAT database without restoring from backup. I tried following your steps but I cannot find the ‘RAATServer’ directory. My database directory is at “~/Library/Roon/Database” and contains the following directories:

Cache
Core
Cx
Orbit
Registry

… but not the “RAATServer” one. Where do you think it is located?

As for my network setup:
I very rarely experience network problems ever since I switched to wired connections: One of my HifiBerry endpoints is plugged directly into my TP Link router, the other one is plugged into a TP Link ethernet over powerline adapter

Never mind I found “RaatServer” - doing this over SSH and my terminal skills are a bit rusty :wink:

Successfully refreshed “RAATServer” db following your instructions.

Problem persists. What else do you suggest I try?

BTW here’s a screen recording of the renaming behavior: https://youtu.be/ovtVDK8VHoA

Also worth noting here is that I used both units without problems for more than a year. Lately I didn’t use one of them for a for a month or two during which there were one or more updates to both Roon and RopiEEE. When I tried using the unit again is when I noticed the problem.

@support please let me know what else to try - thank you