Roon ARC always crashes when music starts to play

Roon Core Machine

MeLE Quieter3C Fanless Mini PC Windows 11 Pro Celeron N5105 8GB 256GB Micro Computer with Full Function Type C Small Desktop WiFi6 Ethernet PXE Unlock BIOS PD Industrial Personal Media
http://www.amazon.com/MeLE-Quieter3C-Computer-Function-Industrial/dp/B0B74KLMWQ

2TB M.2 SSD holding a local librry

Linux stereobuntu 5.15.0-58-generic #64-Ubuntu SMP Thu Jan 5 11:43:13 UTC 2023 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Netgear R6400
no issues with port forwarding

Connected Audio Devices

roon REMOTE 2.0 build 1259 on android phone (used only to verify phone can play audio from core)

Other

roon ARC 1.0.36 build 100177

google pixel 4a phone running android version 13
GrapheneOS build TQ2A.230405.003.2023041100

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

roon ARC has rarely played a single sound since being installed on my android phone. When I play a song, whether from a downloaded album or streamed from the core, ARC crashes.

A few times, I believe a message box appears for a fraction of second, but closes so fast I’m not even sure if there is any text in it.

When I use the android task switcher after ARC crashes, ARC is still visible as a tile among the other running apps on the phone.

roon ARC was installed on my google pixel 4a running android 13 (GrapheneOS build) from the APK available on APKPure the first time. It connected to my core and sync’d the library metadata. It can download albums for offline listening. After this bug was encountered, ARC was uninstalled and then installed again from the apk downloaded from Downloads - Roon Labs. The second installation performs identically to the first. ARC shows the same version number (1.0.36 build 100177) regardless of which apk file it was installed from.

roon REMOTE plays music normally. If roon ARC is running (but not playing music, because it would crash if attempted), REMOTE sometimes won’t play and displays an error. The gist of the error is that another app is refusing to yield an audio device to REMOTE. (I haven’t been able to reproduce this and grab the entire message since first seeing it a few times.)

I have turned off the BETA USB driver to see if that had any effect. None.

One time, immediately after rebooting the phone, ARC streamed a song. I downloaded an album for offline playback. I switched between online and offline in the process. When I then tried to play a song again, ARC crashed and, after restarting, exhibited the behavior described above. Now even after rebooting, ARC crashes when a song is played.

The behavior is the same when the phone is connected to the LAN over WiFi as a local device, forced to use the WiFi guest network and thus isolated from the LAN, or is using cell data for internet access with no WiFi.

Hi @ezman,

I noticed you’re running Graphene on this phone. What happens if you try enabling “Exploited Protection Compatibility Mode?”

See here: Roon ARC crashes when pressing play on Graphene/Andriod [Solved: Enable ‘Exploit Protection Compatibility Mode’]

Thanks to @Zoltan_Jokay for reaching out to the GrapheneOS folks and finding a workaround for this bug last fall.

I’m really glad I stayed away from 2.0 and ARC since it was released, or the time sink would have been worse than it has been for me with this bug. Let’s hope roonlabs soon pays attention to the possible security issues that have been surfaced by security features of GrapheneOS. It’s been 8 months since this was discovered. :frowning:

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.