Roon Arc and Apple Car Play

I was able to use Roon Arc directly on my car via Apple Car Play in the past but after some update it basically stopped working.

It loads, all the screens partially appear, but can not make it play

• only if I have it playing from the phone itself that is connected to the car.

Any updates on usability of Roon Arc on Car Play? Thanks,

Marcel

3 Likes

Exact same issue.

1 Like

Have you tried resetting ARC?

A number of times. But still the same problem. It may work while I am still near home under Wi-Fi, but once it moves to celular only via the phone, not via car play.

After a lot of frustration using Roon ARC within the framework of CarPlay I discovered that if I actively quit ARC on my iPhone 13pro before I use ARC in CarPlay I have complete functionality. Very exciting!

1 Like

Thanks. It is awkward and a little bit of hit and miss. But that is what I am alƓ doing now.

Hope Roon sort this out. Although they do not seem to be getting themselves involved :frowning:

I can confirm the same - quit Roon ARC on phone before connecting to CarPlay. Sometimes it does not work, most of the times it does.

1 Like

Hey all, wanted to follow up, Iā€™ve been seeing a lot of issues regarding Carplay. How are things today? Whatā€™s your overall take on the Carplay offering?

It is working better now. But it is still touch and go.

It requires you many times to quit Roon Arc on the iPhone completely while Roon Arc is on Car Play. Then it would quit also on Car Play and once you open it it would normally work 80pct of the time without having to repeat the process.

1 Like

I really want this: Roon ARC for Android Automotive Operating System (as in Volvo, Lucid, Renault and few other cars)

2 Likes

Seems to work really well until I get a text or call and then CarPlay will sometimes crash. Itā€™ll reset on its own and work after. Using Wireless CarPlay if that matters.

ARC is still very glitchy with Apple CarPlay with the latest updates. It still loads very slow and Daily Mixes are missing the playlist cover graphic. Album covers seem to load OK most of the time. Play action is glitchy, navigating back to Home stops the track.

1 Like

Hello, exactly the same thing happens to me. Could it be because I have the latest version of Early Access?

1 Like

Same issue, for some months, would be great to see this fixed.

1 Like

New to Roon and Roon ARC as replacement to Apple iTunes/Music we tested Roon ARC (Version 1.0-242) in our car with Apple CarPlay with downloaded albums as we are living in Europe and country borders are always near thus we have to use Roon ARC mostly in offline modus. We noticed that album covers did not show up in the CarPlay display (only on the song level - we created the files from CD and inserted on every file the cover image - so the cover image should be present). Also there is no possibility to access/select downloaded albums by artists or other criteria/shortcuts (alphabet).

In comparison to the Apple Music iOS app UX in CarPlay we are ā€œsomewhatā€ disapointed about Roon ARC UX for downloaded (offline) music.

Thus we would very much appreciate if we could use Roon ARC as replacment for Apple Music iOS and if in Roon ARC iOS app downloaded music/albums would be integrated also in offline mode in the other Library categories (Albums, Artists, Tracks, Composers ā€¦ Playlists) and not be a separate category. Thus if an album is downloaded it can be played from the Library ordering categories Albums etc. and if its not present it can simply not be played. Acutally in Apple CarPlay Library ordering categories Albums etc. are simply void. We are rarely using Playlist, but why should Playlist not also work offline for downloaded albums?

best and hopping Roon ARC would be more userfriendly als in Apple CarPlay.

1 Like

I am relatively new to Apple CarPlay, and am giving ARC yet another chance. The ARC app continues to give me troubles on my iPhone (13) where I had to delete the app and downloads again and start fresh (because the app freezes, etc. after a long while on the iPhone). So I have a fresh install again, with many albums downloaded onto my iPhone so that I can use ARC on CarPlay in ā€˜offlineā€™ mode. Why ā€˜offlineā€™? Because when itā€™s ā€˜onlineā€™ and using CarPlay, itā€™s awful in the car with response time and usability (it just stutters/freezes, etc. and is just not usable).

So I thought I would start using it ONLY in ā€˜offlineā€™ mode (I can manually download new albums when Iā€™m at home). Well this experience was disappointing as well since I canā€™t see the album art (blank covers), but I was able to at least play music much more trouble-free than when itā€™s ā€˜onlineā€™. I think the album art issue is much more of an issue in ā€˜offlineā€™ mode than ā€˜onlineā€™. Can this please be fixed so that we always get to see the album art? Itā€™s frustrating because after awhile of playing something, the album art then may appear for just that album alone (none of the other covers load). Itā€™s weird and seems like this should be an easy fix so that album art shows everywhere as youā€™re going through the ARC UI on CarPlay?

I continue to use Plexamp downloads in the car because it just works, and very well. I love ā€˜sweet fadesā€™ too which I donā€™t think ARC can do (unless Iā€™m missing that feature). I also use Amazon Music and Apple Music downloads in ā€˜offlineā€™ mode and they also work great (no issues with album art, etc.).

Just wanted to share my feedback in the hopes CarPlay will get some major improvements with ARC (in addition to continuing the app improvements on the iPhone itself which just continues to trouble me). Thanks.

I have ARC working on Appel CarPlay with MDUX (Mercedes).

One thing to note; when a notification comes in, from car ( warning) or trafic information from radio, ARC stops.
ARC does not have an auto start. Other apps, music, podcast do start automatically.