Roon ARC and controller stopped connecting to core

I finally,finally,finally renamed the Roon server, even with a defective keyboard that fought me all the way. Will try next steps now.

Connor,
Have opened Roon after renaming the server. Nothing seems to be happening. Does it automatically generate the new database. Only have max 3,000 files. How long does it take?

Connor,
So I renamed the server and started Roon. It ran for about 18 hours without connecting to anything. Just blank screen with icon moving. What’s going wrong now?

I know there has been a holiday but is there an answer? I’ve been trying to get this fixed for over a month. Thanks.

Hi @William_Bray,
Thank you for your patience in awaiting a staff response. The steps provided above install a new RoonServer instance in place of the old one, effectively returning your RoonServer to “factory settings”. We’re not able to provide more granular support in this particular case; the unfortunate reality is that your Wolf machine is not a certified or authorized device on which to run a RoonServer, so issues specific to your RoonServer on that machine fall outside the scope of support. In light of this, we recommend reaching out to the authorized dealer from whom you made the purchase. They are well-equipped to provide the necessary support and guidance tailored to the specifications of the product.

Your satisfaction is of paramount importance to us, and we want to ensure that you receive the best possible assistance. The dealer possesses the requisite expertise to address any issues related to the unsupported machine comprehensively.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation in this matter. We appreciate your patience and look forward to assisting you with any Roon Labs products that align with our supported range.

Ok, so it appears you are abandoning my support? Do you know why roon will not reconnect after I renamed the core and restarted? The Wolf streamer is just a Windows 10 OS computer with Roon installed. Why is it suddenly a problem you won’t help resolve? If this was any other software installed on the computer why would I need to contact Dell or Windows to resolve a software issue related to say Adobe or Firefox? Respectfully, this does not make any sense.

From the Wolf Audio web site:

Wolf Audio Systems provides unparalleled support, marrying its love of audio and technology to create products which not only satisfy the needs of audiophiles, but surpasses today’s standards of technology service delivery. Wolf strives to create a 21st century listening experience for customers with a beautiful yet simple interface for listening sessions, and a ton of tools under the hood when users need more. Audiophiles shouldn’t have to endure a painful and arduous DIY process of trial and error to enjoy a system of this caliber. Wolf’s commitment to customers has been consistently described and lauded as the best in the business. We teach, we train and we are there when customers need us. During the First Time Setup, Wolf configures the system – for the listening room, the living room, and beyond. Wolf connects NAS devices, migrates music from older systems and can do it all in person, or remotely. Several conversations in the first week are encouraged. From there, we check in occasionally to share new features and tools, answer questions and help however we can. Likewise, we are happy to hear from Wolf owners – maintaining conversations helps us to understand their wants and needs and better our products.

Seems to me that that is indeed your support point?

1 Like

So you are saying that if I buy Quicken and install it on my Dell laptop I should call Dell to resolve my Quicken support issues? I don’t really get it. Roon knows Roon better than another company. Seems like Roon wants to turn a software problem into a hardware problem and pass the buck.

Why didn’t they tell me just to call Wolf from the start? And it may actually be a Netgear problem with their new modem/ router installed when this began. I started with their support. I may fix this myself by changing the modem/ router back. Unless it’s a Roon issue from the new update. If so, how can Wolf fix that?

Rejoice with me. I took some time today and fixed it myself. I replaced the Netgear combination modem/router I had installed with an Xfinity modem. Everything works now (except maybe Arc. That is trying to synch.)

Not a Wolf issue, I repeat, it was never a Wolf issue. Roon doesn’t play well with that Netgear equipment (CAX 30). That goes back to Costco.

Nonetheless Wolf works perfectly with Roon. It did in the past and does now after replacing the Netgear router. I wonder if Netgear is certified or authorized to work with Roon? If so, the model I had failed miserably.

And so did Roon tech support by not delving into that issue.

Wolf Audio originally shipped servers that used Windows 10 Pro as the OS. They now seem to be offering WolfOS - a linux-based OS that they developed inhouse. If they are offering Roon Server on WolfOS, they would need to be listed as Roon Partners to do so, and they are not currently listed as such.

2 Likes

Roon Labs don’t charge for certification (or for the SDK, AFAIK).

1 Like

Allow me to clarify an earlier statement. My Netgear modem/router combo did not work with Roon Arc due to Netgear’s security settings. Otherwise it worked to play music on Roon but then later my Roon controller app also stopped working. I can’t be sure if that was attributable to the Netgear equipment or some other issue.