Roon ARC + Carplay: Share your thoughts and road listening adventures here!

Super psyched to finally take my Roon library with me, especially in the car! Loving it, thanks for the hard work.

Looks like I found bug. First song I put on showed the wrong album art on CarPlay Now Playing. Picked a different song… Now Playing text updated but the wrong art remained.

See screenshot of iPhone vs CarPlay screen:

I don’t have that Wayne Shorter album in my library. Is that leftover test code? Oh wait, is it showing a placeholder because I’m offline?

3 Likes

Aha. Definitely bugs. I can’t even get my Now Playing screen to show. Just stays on the track list. I have wireless CarPlay. I’m going to try it wired tomorrow to see if it makes a difference.

I can see the app on CarPlay but when I open it it just says “Loading”. I was not able to browse my library at all.

When I start playing something on my iOS app, I can navigate to the “Now Playing” page by tapping on the button that appeared on the top right hand corner.

I’ve quit the iOS app multiple times and restarted it and then restarted the CarPlay app, but to no avail.

Have you the latest update for your IPhone itself and updatet RoonArc already ?

Loving ARC and now with CarPlay it’s even better!

I am still missing the inclusion of bookmarks

In addition I would really like to have the favorite function on the now playing screen of CarPlay - The heart icon.

Hope it’s not a saftey restriction by CarPlay.
I like to mark tracks I like (or want to ban) as they are playing.
It would be even more unsafe to pull up the phone to mark the heart :slightly_smiling_face:.

Also, the functionality of the heart on arc is different than the iOS Roon remote: first touch makes the track a favorite, 2nd touch removes the track from favorite.
On iOS the heart can also be used to ban a track: 1st touch - favorite, 2nd touch - ban, 3rd touch - clear.

Would be great to have the full heart functionality on the CarPlay now playing screen

Worked ok for my trip to Bristol and back yesterday, all 6 hours of it. So I’ve had plenty of time to use the new app.

Firstly, it’s great to have CarPlay compatibility.

These are not ‘moans’, merely feedback, as it does seem a little buggy still.

• The app was often a bit slow to start and ‘loading’ appeared on the screen.

• The ‘now playing’ button in the top right of the screen doesn’t work

• lost artwork on the main ARC home screen.

• no way to search library other than scrolling through entire list

• the Home Screen doesn’t have much on it apart from ‘recently played’

• using the car controls to navigate back to the previous screen just closes the app, quite frustrating this. You have to move to the button on the screen every time to navigate back which is a pain.

Using latest iOS version, and standard BMW headunit with CarPlay. I rarely use the touch screen function and rely on the physical controls in the car to navigate around the app. It means the Roon app doesn’t integrate very well with the OEM feel of other apps like Tidal or Google maps etc.

1 Like

I can also see this behavior. I briefly tested Carplay yesterday on the way home and it basically works fine. However, I also have the problem that when you change the song, the associated art work does not change. Here is an example:

You see a guy in the art work, but it’s definitely not Buddy Guy!

3 Likes

Been using Arc this morning.

Now Playing screen won’t show, no matter how many times you press it. Turned unit off and on again and it now shows.

It would be nice the have a favourite button. :heart: I’m not sure why everyone all misses this out and takes months if not years in Tidals case to show this.

Unless it’s me and I’ve missed something. Under my library there is not button for tracks?
Sometimes I like to play a track and just let it continue or shuffle all tracks.

I think this is a great functionality! I think both ARC + CarPlay put Roon on a different level!

My experience: Initially it showed my music, but not the artwork and when selecting an album I got a message of “please wait” and nothing happened. It took about 10min and several connect/disconnects to make it work. Once it started working, no issues.

My only initial concerns after a limited trial are 2:

1. It shows on top of the home screen “recent played albums”. In my case, it would be much better if it showed “recently added albums”. On ARC you can select either of those on the home screen. Is there any way to change the setting in CarPlay?
  2. This is more subjective, but I got the feeling that the sound was not as good as when using ARC w/o CarPlay. Does it reduce the resolution when playing through CarPlay?. My settings are “CD Quality” when on wireless, “Original Format” if on WiFi.

Yes and initially nothing but then this morning….

It works

Works great for me. My top requested features:

• A-Z when browsing.
  • Hav’ent checked yet, but Siri integration would be great.
  • Shuffle whole albums, which is a feature long requested, would be even greater now.

Thanks guys for the app.

I would need

• add to library “+ button”
  • heart button
  • album cover

simple and functional!

1 Like

Thanks for reporting. We’ve reproduced this internally and are working on a fix

1 Like

This isn’t meant to belittle anyone, only to educate, but when connected to CarPlay, you can take a screenshot with your phone and it’ll capture what is on your head unit’s screen as well. This works whether connected by USB or wirelessly.

Thanks to Roon for ARC and CarPlay support!

1 Like

ARC didn’t bother me much as my away from home listening covered by qobuz and sd card in phone. Android Auto when it comes will change that. So I am now truly frustrated by the fact that using a 4g system for home internet means that I am unable to use ARC at all. ARC 2.0 needs to be a priority for the many subscribers who are designed out of a lot of the Roon offer.

Yay! it works. I’m still mostly using Arc offline—my data plan is not generous—but being able to control the app from CarPlay is wonderful.

For those who can’t yet see Arc in CarPlay it may be that the app hasn’t updated yet. This did the trick for me:

I drive an Audi build 2020 and have no problem with Car Play. After updating Arc on my iPhone to 1.0.30 Built 128 it was shown in my CarPlay menue and worked fine until today.

Hi,

No, I don’t have this issue, the “Now Playing” screen is displaying properly and I can see content details and cover art.

Same. It’s great but I am almost exclusively using playlists because you can’t scroll through thousands of artists or albums… A/Z or search function will be a great additional feature.

1 Like

I would like to thank you very much for the great work on Roon ARC.
The only problems I have is that the covers are wrong.