Roon ARC + Carplay: Share your thoughts and road listening adventures here!

Yeah I can’t do it with some of those premium cars. You could connect via usb and get good quality there.

That’s coming I’m afraid :sob::sob::sob:

Use Tailscale to access arc. Portforwarding doesn’t work for me either.

I do too, but the day is coming where there will be subscriptions for features on every car.

Scary. :flushed:

My Audi SQ5 is a 2017, and carplay wasn’t offered then. But I added a behind-the-dash component that updates the interface with carplay.

So, it’s possible there will always be aftermarket options.

I’ll check out Tailscale. Thanks

Oh yeah aftermarket always outperforms the manufacturer. I have a high end Kenwood in my 21 Cherokee. Wireless CarPlay an all and also does hires.

Not always true … if the car manufacturer puts in a basic system then I agree with you. But it depends!!

Music always plays very well for me. The rest of the app not so much. Album art is very hit or miss. Sometimes it works perfectly, sometimes the artwork lags behind the actual track. Currently there is no artwork being displayed although the music is playing and metadata is displayed correctly.

2 Likes

Also my Now playing and search is miserable for me.

@roon @support is there a reason that album and playlist sorting changed with latest ARC update? Before update sorting was similar to the one set on the phone, now it is blocked with MOST PLAYED I think.

Sorry some details: this happens with ARC on Apple CarPlay.

Great, the same as above is happening to me. Basically have to use the phone to work in the car. There is no pics, except once and then it didn’t change.
So its buggy but i’m sure you guys will get it fixed. It will be fantastic once its fixed.

Thanks

Same issue for me. Carplay doesn’t show cover art but the app on the iPhone does. Lastets Core, Roon and Arc

I have the same issue as well,just overcame the RoonARC connection by connecting through a static IP taken from provider, but the artwork for my library and favourites through Tidal/Qobuz are not showing up in my car’s Apple Carplay On the contrary the same songs in the individual Tidal/Qobuz apps in my car’s Apple Carplay and RoonArc app on my phone are showing up with full detail).

Same thing here: and not being able to do even an alphabetical search, the Carplay experience at the moment and for me it’s very frustrating

I think apple needs to open the door a bit more here. But yeah with Roon it’s almost best to have a backup such as Apple Music so you don’t have to fidgit around with phones and poor connection.

To be fair such a function would also be helpful in regular Roon, Roon Remote etc.

Especially when you are controlling via a touch device or if you don’t have too many artists under a certain letter it would be faster than clicking the search bar and entering a name.

Apart from the problem with the alphabetical sorting (or lack thereof!) for artists/albums etc, one other problem for me is that when you select an artist, only five albums are shown. You can’t scroll down to view more, that’s it, only five. If course if you access ARC through the phone, all albums are there, perfectly selectable and playable.

At this point, using ARC while driving is dangerous. Roon, please fix it!

After struggling with port forwarding on my home router and mesh network, finally running Roon ARC, and have to say it’s brilliant. Looking forward to trying it through CarPlay, but to be honest I’ve never really warmed up to the interface. I tend to use BT in the car and the iOS interface on the MagSafe mounted phone, particularly since not all my vehicles have CarPlay. One thing that would be great, though, is Waze integration, like TIDAL and Apple Music, but perhaps I’m getting greedy…

Todays CarPlay experience wasn’t very exciting. Managed to load 1 track then the next refused to play. The interface still looks great.

I think it’s best Roon mirrors some of what Apple Music does in terms of searching and listing albums. Obviously while improving the experience (since Apple has their own set of problems).

When I use Roon ARC on its own, ie not in combination with Android Auto / Apple CarPlay, a “Clear Upcoming” icon appears at the top of the Queue display. When used with Apple CarPlay that icon does not appear - there seems to be no way to clear upcoming tracks from the queue.

Am I missing something? Any thoughts?

1 Like