Roon ARC + Carplay: Share your thoughts and road listening adventures here!

Whilst the audio works well the artwork doesn’t work for me. I’m using Arc in offline mode only in the car with a playlist of downloaded tracks from my local collection. The playlist appears but there’s no artwork displayed with the playlist tracks. Also the first track I play often displays incorrect artwork and then normally freezes and won’t change for any further tracks, whilst some tracks just have blank artwork.

Other apps such Qobuz, Spotify all seem to work well with regards to artwork, should I raise I support ticket or is this a well known issue?

That’s a stability issue. Yes I would raise a support ticket.

1 Like

Does anybody else have the issue of only five albums per artist are shown in Arc via CarPlay? All the albums are present if I use ARC on my iPhone, it’s just that the Arc app in CarPlay does not seem to be able to scroll down to view the rest. Is this a known issue?

I think it has something to do with it being only recently played albums. Something changed from the first intro of Arc CarPlay.

1 Like

Thanks Abe! I could have sworn that I remember being able to go though all the albums when I first starting using ARC in CarPlay. Thanks for confirming.

I hadn’t tried CarPlay in a while with ARC, had just been using the Qobuz app natively.

But I tried it again today and wow, it’s brilliant! Takes up the whole space of my Subaru’s 11” screen with great album art, perfect recommendations and everything. Roon knows me so much better than Qobuz that I’ve got great suggestions that have improved my enjoyment of driving greatly already.

Congratulations, ARC has earned a spot on my first screen of apps. Thanks for focusing on this!

Just had this happen to me as well, I had to start the ARC app on the iPhone for the artwork to come in. Might try that as a workaround.

Are you able to view all albums and artists on yours? I agree Arc is beautiful but starting a song is always a hassle. I unfortunately think it’s due to me using a VPN since port forwarding is not an option on my network at home.

I haven’t had any issues. In the car, I don’t generally look to view all of anything—I want a good recommendation I can quickly start, pick from my recently added or recently played or a new release, and click Play. That’s my intent in the car. If I need to view all and search for something I’ll just pick up my phone and use the ARC app.

Thanks but this didn’t work for me…in fact when I start ARC on iPhone first I dont get any artwork at all via CarPlay

been using ARC now for as long as it’s available without problems in two Volvo’s. These are older cars so no CarPlay involved. I really like it and it is really flawless so far.

1 Like

Another example of an “on the road/holiday” listening adventure…

We just returned from a 4 day stay at a nice house on “Schiermonnikoog” an island in the north of the Netherlands, in between the Northsea and the Waddenzee, an estuary like tidal sea. All very nice but till yet not relevant for this thread…

I found this “up to date” hardware for our music needs and feared the worst:

But behold! My iPhone connected to the white adapter to the right; Bose on “AUX” and voila! Roon ARC playing like always!
I really do like ARC, it never fails me!!

3 Likes

This morning I couldn’t connect in the car (getting any album playing) and now at work Arc doesn’t load anything after the new update. Turned off Tailscale and restarted everything it doesnt work.

Description of Issue

When using ROON ARC with CarPlay, the menus for new music to check out and ROON created playlists is limited to only the first 5 playlists and maybe 5-8 new albums to check out and there’s no way to see the rest without opening the app on the phone itself. The menu headers should be clickable to be able to expand the list to see the rest of what you would see in the app itself.

Also, a search option would be nice. Maybe something similar to APPLE MUSIC‘s search feature for CarPlay. Their search feature brings up a list of all the letters of the alphabet and by clicking each one brings up all the artists that start with that letter. Maybe something similar to that could be utilized.

Last thing I wanted to mention, for the Daily Mixes, when going into my car, ROON ARC still shows the mixes from the day before in CarPlay. In order to get the new ones to show up, I have to open up ROON ARC on my phone if it isn’t open already and then close it out. Then open up ROON ARC in CarPlay again and then it refreshes.

5 Likes

Hi @Drake_Potter,

Thank you for providing feedback on your recent ARC/CarPlay experience. Your comment accurately reflected some limitations to ARC’s current implementation that we’ve been diligently working to resolve with future builds (thus, there wasn’t any action to take in the #support section).

The ARC team consolidates and processes all field reports from Roon Community to rapidly prioritize improvements for future releases. To aid that process, I’ve moved your comment here.

1 Like

Yeah I agree. The arc search is more of a hassle now since you see artists in random fashion now along with albums.

Also I stopped seeing much artwork in this update not sure why. Also the other day it was a pain to launch an album to listen to.

2 posts were split to a new topic: Poor Performance with ARC and CarPlay (Missing Artwork, Poor Connectivity)

I’m so sorry
I can’t use arc at all because it’s missing this basic fonction:
playing your favorites tracks

ARC finally started working fine since my it-savvy friend managed to re-set my home router so it accepts access to the core from the outside.
I too would really like a search function, can’t see much use in a randomized library presentation while f.i. driving a vehicle, a pretty common use case I would assume.
The themed playlists are however a nice feature on longer trips in the car or reading a book on the train or wherever active choice is not needed or wanted.

1 Like

Right on… Arc on CarPlay should work the same way that Apple Music works for searching artists and albums in your library. In the current implementation, library searching via Arc CarPlay is useless. The daily mixes are not interesting to me - I prefer to listen to what’s in my library - I like listening to complete albums or my personal playlists. I never listen to the Roon music mixes.

1 Like