Roon ARC Causing RoonServer/Remote Performance Issues [Solved]

Thank you @connor

The main frustration came from the lack of timely feedback and the affected users feeling very much left alone with the problem. Additionally, the little support provided made it seem the problem was caused by individual users‘ network environment and was not recognized as a wider spread issue before. This, despite quite a number of users experiencing the same symptoms across very different networks.

I am thankful that this is recognized and communicated as not an individual problem and a issue that seemingly can be fixed with time. So thank you for your effort.

3 Likes

EDIT This may have been due to me removing devices from my account page in an attempt of cleaning up logins :man_facepalming:

Arc has just failed :sob:

Just after I posted this

Network and Roon online

@connor the thing that is interesting is that I changed the output from balanced to CD quality shortly before this occurred :man_shrugging::wink:

1 Like

I’m also seeing the same behaviour as the original post.

I find that a full reboot of the core device (sonictransporter) is needed to get it working again

Nick

I am one of the people that do not have a problem with Roon core crashing or de-stabilised by Roon ARC.
However, I have all other issues with Roon ARC that are mentioned all over the forum:

Roon ARC in CarPlay mode:

1. Album art loading - this is hit and miss, sometimes work, other times doesn’t. Cured by re-plugging the phone to the car.
  2. Artists and Albums sorted by recenlty played
  3. Artist albums - only a few are shown.
  4. ARC does not go to now playing when driving is resumed after a stop, i.e. car turned off, then on.
  5. Far too many messages displayed on the screen while driving, e.g. when something goes wrong, like cellular coverage is poor.

Roon ARC in iOS app mode:

1. Downloading albums/tracks/playlists is painfully slow and iPhone becomes burning hot.
  2. Roon ARC must be active on screen for download to work.

Edit: Other than the issues mentioned, Roon ARC has been working reliably for me, i.e. I am able to play my music outside of my home, and on vacation in another country. One thing to mention is that I am mostly playing music from my local library, and only rarely from Qobuz.

Roon Core Machine

Nucleus+
Roon Server: Version 2.0 (build 1311) production
Internal Storage: Samsung SSD 860

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Cable Modem: Arris SB8200

Wireless Router: RT-AX88U
(manual port forwarding rule for ARC)

SB8200 ← ethernet → RT-AX88U ← ethernet → Nucleus+

Connected Audio Devices

Pixel 8 Pro / Android 14 (Home 5GHz Wi-Fi)
Roon ARC 1.0.44 (build 100220)

Number of Tracks in Library

6,668 tracks

Hi @connor, I realize this may be a small piece of the puzzle or may be a separate issue altogether, but I believe I can reproduce a “Poor Connection” message while remaining entirely on my home Wi-Fi and using Offline mode. Even if this doesn’t cause poor performance on the RoonServer (I don’t have any proof either way), it could make other troubleshooting more difficult.

Summary: While on home Wi-Fi, changing Offline Mode does not take effect immediately on my Pixel 8 Pro (Android 14). ARC needs to be fully closed and reopened before the new setting appears to take full effect. This can cause “Poor Connection” messages after turning Offline Mode off (aka online). Similar issues happened on my previous phone as well.

Full Steps (October 13th around or after 17:00 UTC):

1. Restart Nucleus+ and wait 7+ minutes
  2. Close Arc on Pixel 8 Pro
  3. Reboot Pixel 8 Pro
  4. Open Arc > Settings > Offline Mode > Toggle On
    — Offline —
  5. Back arrow in ARC
  6. Issue 1: Offline banner at bottom is not showing, but it should
  7. Navigate to Downloads > select downloaded album > Play now = music playing on my phone
  8. Navigate to Albums > Select album on Nucleus+ Internal Storage but not downloaded to ARC > Play now = no visible action or warning (mostly expected)
  9. Workaround 1: Close and Open ARC - Now shows “ARC is offline” banner
  10. Repeat step 8. Same result - no visible action or warning (mostly expected)
  11. Settings > Offline Mode > Toggle Off
    — Online —
  12. Back arrow in ARC
  13. Issue 2: “ARC is offline” banner still shows, but it should not
  14. Issue 2.a Go to Albums = No albums listed and “Poor connection” “Try again or listen to your downloads”
  15. Issue 2.b: Click ‘Retry’ = same as 14
  16. Click ‘downloads’ from Poor connection message = downloaded albums listed
  17. Issue 2.c: Clicking a downloaded album = Poor connection message again and clicking “Play now” does nothing
  18. Issue 2.d Click ‘Retry’ = same as 17
  19. Workaround 2: Close and Open ARC - No longer shows “ARC is offline” banner
  20. Both downloaded albums and Nucleus+ Internal Storage albums now work

I confirm exactly same behaviour on iOS iPhone 13 Pro.

ARC is offline banner does not show or go away when toggled until ARC is restarted!!!

Although I do not get poor connection message.

Thanks @connor . Let me know if we should keep posting here every occurrence of the problem.

The problem happened again today after listening through multiple networks, airpods pro and finally chord hugo on a wi-fi network (my office’s). This time it was a little different: when trying to play Spoon’s “before destruction” arc lost access to the core, but the local remotes on my home network were still able to access and play from the core (this is the first time the core is not broken together with arc connection). Happened at 4:59 pm Brazilian time.

Relaunching the Core fixed it as usual.

I second every word, @GalaxyGlider . We felt quite alone. Hope support can make up for lost time. We were always hoping to help and be helped, not much more than that.

It happened here just now, maybe a minute ago. 22.16 hours in The Netherlands.
I am at home playing a Tidal album on Roon using a server running on Sonicorbiter software. I decided to test whether I could ARC cause problems, so I played a Roon generated playlist on my Android/Samsung phone.

Already a few minutes after starting this playlist, Roon became unresponsive (this is: Roon remote). Music was atill playing, but browsing around wasn’t possible anymore. After some time, the music on ARC stopped playing aswell. ARC tells me there is a poor connection (connected through wifi on the same network as Roon Server).

Restarting Roon Server brought everything back to life.

2 Likes

Well, after some time, just a minute ago or so, Roon came to an end again. 23.08 hours here now.
After restarting Roon Server, I resumed the playlist on ARC and started listening through ‘normal’ Roon again via my main system, with a Hegel H390 as an endpoint. It kept on going for half an hour or more.

After restarting Roon Server, I noticed some weirdness in my play history. One track seemed to have been played three times partially. This is from the playlist running on ARC. I didn’t touch this playlist, so it can’t be real.

EDIT: more strangeness. Immediately after writing the above, Roon died again. My music kept playing on the main system, but Roon Remote became unresponsive both on my phone and on my iPad.
Maybe this was because I didn’t close ARC before or after the server reboot?

Let’s reboot again…

And after this reboot, there is a strange history glitch again. Compare my queue and my history. There is a track there that was played but is not present in history. This is music that was played on the main system, not through ARC.
The two history tracks before Mercedes Sosa came from the playlist, but how can these two be played for 100%, after the triple track that played partially while ARC caused its problems?

1 Like

Just happened again, 6:54 pm BRT on carplay. Crystalized by the xx. Again, arc is totally offline, but the server did not crash again and is locally accessible through remotes (that is some kind of progress)

This is a problem already brought to the attention of Roon’s team Here and Here

The thread here was created by Roon in order to keep this kind of occurences together.

Arc killed my core after I tried watching a video on twitter, switching audio from arc to twitter.

Arc doesn’t handle pausing at all when you use another app, it always causes issues.

I have seen this same behavior. Making a control input, such as skipping to the next track (on an iPhone 14), can sometimes cause a core crash. This does not happen consistently and ARC often just crashes on its own, but this behavior does occur.

Oddly enough mine just recovered, first time I’ve seen that

Hi @Danijel_Crncec,

Perhaps you failed to read the initial request at the top of this post - this is a technical support thread to assist users who are willing to provide technical details. We’ve made clear if you have product feedback to provide or want to share your general impressions, the #feedback category is always open and regularly perused by staff.

Since you’re choosing to post this vitriol here in spite of our polite requests, I assume your goal is only to waste the time of Roon Team, moderators, and other users.

Any further posts that do not provide technical updates will be immediately unlisted. If you choose to escalate this type of commentary on this thread our community wellness team will have to take disciplinary action on your account.

3 Likes

Thanks for looking into this issue. I’m a new Roon user and was not planning to go beyond my trial period as I want 1 player for all my music, outside in inside my house. I hope a fix is coming soon.

Find the details of my setup below:

Roon Core Machine

Mac mini M2
16GB RAM
122GB free space on harddrive.

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Wired connection through unmanaged switch to router model Draytek Vigor2927ax with Firmware Version 4.4.3_RC2.

Connected Audio Devices

multiple endpoints, ranging from Airplay devices, Musiccast (Yamaha) and lyngdorf 1120 Roon ready device.

I use Arc on an iPhone 13 Pro with AirPods, wired Denon and airplay (outside home network) to Sonos speaker.

Number of Tracks in Library

around 700 tracks on a mapped network drive using Samba on a DietPi. However, this issue occurs with Qobuz as well (I listen mostly to Qobus tracks).

Description of Issue

ARC stops playing after a couple of songs. How many differs a lot. Earlier this week I had almost a whole evening without issues, however most of the time it happens within 30 minutes. In the end you get a “bad connection” error on ARC app.

On the network, the ARC check on the Roon Remote app looks good with the message “Roon ARC can securely access your Roon Core”. After stopping Roon Core and starting again, ARC functions again for a (short) while.

FYI … ARC has been running flawless for me, no issues UNTIL last update ! Since then same problem…

I am suffering from this problem to such an extent that I have had to reinstall the server twice now.

After connect ARC, I get lots of this error message:

System.Net.Sockets.SocketException (104): Connection reset by peer
   at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.AwaitableSocketAsyncEventArgs.ThrowException(SocketError error, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.AwaitableSocketAsyncEventArgs.System.Threading.Tasks.Sources.IValueTaskSource<System.Int32>.GetResult(Int16 token)
   at System.Threading.Tasks.ValueTask`1.ValueTaskSourceAsTask.<>c.<.cctor>b__4_0(Object state)
--- End of stack trace from previous location ---
   at System.Threading.Tasks.TaskToApm.End[TResult](IAsyncResult asyncResult)
   at Sooloos.RnetJsonClient.<>c__DisplayClass65_0.<_BeginRead>b__0(IAsyncResult ar)

Finally the server stops responding. After restart it runs very slowly. Sometimes it is necesary to install it again and restore backup.

If I can help sending you any kind of log.

Yeah, I would also say that the last update was the trigger for me.