Roon ARC Error code 504 happening for past 2 days

Yes I know that, obviously that port is closed since ARC is not working. I was referring to the general test to see if my external IP is accessible to the WWW

It makes sense to contact your ISP again and ask if the public IPv4 address is no longer available with the new plan. You need a routable public ipv4 address for port forwarding and therefore ARC to work.

Thanks, will do that for sure

@Suedkiez @Axel_Lesch I think I discovered my problem. I don’t know how it’s like in your country, but over here the ISP is divided into two - provider of the physical infrastructure (cable, telephony, fiber), and the service provider. I had 2 different companies for both of these.
Apparently when I changed plans at the infra provider, they automatically assigned me to their own service! And it turns out that that’s a new law here, that they cannot be separated. And what probably happened is that in the new ISP I no longer have a public IP address. Now I need to get all of this sorted.
FML…

1 Like

BTW, why does it have to be IPv4?

Currently the only way you can be reached from the Internet, with a public IPV4 address assigned to you and nobody else. There would also be the option of an IPv6 address, but Roon is not using it at the moment.

1 Like

Is there a possibility to change ISP or to purchase a public IPv4 from your ISP for a small fee? The latter is a common procedure.

Thank you for the update! And good luck talking to them, I hope you find competent support people. (Myself, I spent hours on the phone to explain to my ISP and mobile provider (same company) how the internet works).

Some lessons that I learned during my ordeal, maybe they might be helpful:

The ISP may not provide forwardable v4 addresses by default in your account, but depending on location, etc., it may be possible to ask them nicely. I’d try that first.
If they don’t understand what you want: They won’t know Roon, but may have heard of PlayStation users needing the same for online gaming.

I switched mine to a small-business type of account, having an actual business was not necessary. At my ISP, these include a proper IPv4 address as part of the account (for running business servers). It ended up being not more expensive than the previous residential account in my case, YMMV. Ask them about this or check their website for such accounts.

Even after that, it didn’t work from my phone when connecting from the ISP’s own cell network. It did work from external wifi networks and other mobile provider’s cell networks, go figure. A port scan originating on the phone (there are apps) showed that all ports on my external IP from 1 to 65536 were blocked, only when the phone was registered in my ISP’s cell network. After much explaining on the phone, I could talk to an actual technician, who understood that this wasn’t right, but after 1 and again after 2 weeks they wrote that they still had not figured out what’s going wrong.

The internet contract came with a free router that I had thought I’d try (previously I had had an ISP-rented Fritzbox that went back when the residential account ended). The free router turned out to be very limited and annoying, so while still waiting for the ISP to sort out the port blocking, I ordered a Fritzbox 6690 Cable. (We have router freedom in Germany, so they have to accept using private routers. YMMV depending on where you are). I booted that and ARC immediately worked. Apparently, their crappy free router must have had some configuration internally, or enabled it on the network, so that phones in their own cell network got blocked when accessing customer servers in their own business contracts (but not the phones from other mobile providers). Imagine that!

Be patient. Expect the worst and adjust your mindset accordingly.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot guys. I was told by the tech support last night that I in order to get an external IP address I had to have a static IP address, which incurs some extra charge, so I need to talk to customer support today. I read that some people managed to get a dynamic external IP address from that ISP like what I had in the previous ISP, but it’s not something they offer easily…

@Axel_Lesch @Suedkiez
Success!
I talked with the ISP, and after they moved me around different people, some of them had no idea what I was talking about, I managed to get them to disable the NAT and now ARC is working again! I didn’t need to get a static IP after all and no additional charges.
Thanks a lot for all your help!

2 Likes

Congratulations :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great news!
Congrats, have fun :))

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.