Roon ARC - "error":"doaction request return statuscode: UnknownError"

Roon Core Machine

ROCK on NUC 10

Networking Gear & Setup Details

ASUS RT-AX3000

1. Who is your internet service provider?
    StarLink (but with dedicated IP)

2. Please list the make and model of your modem and router?

3. Do you have any additional network hardware, like additional routers or managed switches?

4. Does your network have any VPNs, proxy servers, or enterprise-grade security?

Connected Audio Devices

Description of Issue -

What is the exact port forwarding error message you see in the Roon Settings → ARC tab?

Here is what the Roon ARC test is telling me:
{
“ipv4_connectivity”: {“status”:“NetworkError”,“status_code”:504,“error”:“error: Error: ETIMEDOUT, response code: undefined, body: undefined connected? undefined”},
“external_ip”: {“actual_external_ip”:“104.fff.ggg.hhh”,“actual_external_ipv6”:“null”,“router_external_ip”:“null”},
“natpmp_autoconfig”: {“status”:“NotFound”},
“upnp_autoconfig”: {“server_ip”:“192.168.2.1”,“found_upnp”:true,“error”:“doaction request return statuscode: UnknownError”}
}
It has the IP address correct. When I leave the port number blank and hit reset it tells me the port is 55002 so that is what I have setup for port forwarding. UPnP is being detected so I assume the main problem is the “error”:“doaction request return statuscode: UnknownError” and the 504 gateway timeout is a result of that. Does anyone know what the doaction error is and what the fix might be?

D

The diagnostics you’ve provided suggest that UPnP is not properly configured on your router. It’s unclear from your post if you are using both an ISP router and the Asus. If this is the case, try setting the ISP router in bridge mode, or forwarding 55002 to the Asus.

Here are the recommended steps:

Please first try the following steps:

• Try to enable UPnP/NATPMP in the web administration interface for the router directly upstream from your Core
  • Try to manually open the port in your router’s port forwarding configuration
  • Make sure the IP/Port matches the Port listed in Roon → Settings → ARC
  • Check for any VPNs or Firewalls that might be interfering
  • Check if your modem is in Bridge mode

If you continue to experience difficulties, please tag the support team and include the following information:

1. What is the make and model of your modem and router?
  2. Do you have any additional network hardware, like additional routers or managed switches?
  3. Who is your internet service provider and what is your geographic region?
  4. Is your Modem configured in Bridge Mode so that it operates only as a modem or do you have the ports forwarded on both?

Thanks for the tips. I still haven’t made it work but here is some additional data:

When I have both UPnP and port forwarding enabled I get this in my main router log:

May 13 18:21:30 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(494): eth5: Deauth_ind D8:1F:12:24:82:EC, status: 0, reason: Previous authentication no longer valid (2), rssi:-92
May 13 18:21:30 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(494): eth5: Deauth_ind D8:1F:12:24:82:EC, status: 0, reason: Previous authentication no longer valid (2), rssi:-92
May 13 18:21:36 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(494): eth5: Deauth_ind D8:1F:12:24:2E:93, status: 0, reason: Deauthenticated because sending station is leaving (or has left) IBSS or ESS (3), rssi:0
May 13 18:21:39 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(494): eth5: Deauth_ind D8:1F:12:24:81:AC, status: 0, reason: Deauthenticated because sending station is leaving (or has left) IBSS or ESS (3), rssi:0
May 13 18:21:39 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(530): eth5: Auth D8:1F:12:24:2E:93, status: Successful (0), rssi:0
May 13 18:21:39 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(559): eth5: Assoc D8:1F:12:24:2E:93, status: Successful (0), rssi:-89

When I have UPnP enabled with port forwarding disabled I get this:

May 13 18:05:12 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(530): eth5: Auth D8:1F:12:24:82:EC, status: Successful (0), rssi:0
May 13 18:05:12 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(559): eth5: Assoc D8:1F:12:24:82:EC, status: Successful (0), rssi:-94
May 13 18:05:17 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(494): eth5: Deauth_ind D8:1F:12:24:82:EC, status: 0, reason: Previous authentication no longer valid (2), rssi:-92
May 13 18:05:17 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(494): eth5: Deauth_ind D8:1F:12:24:82:EC, status: 0, reason: Previous authentication no longer valid (2), rssi:-92

When I have UPnP disabled and port forwarding on 55002 enabled I get this:

May 13 18:05:44 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(530): eth5: Auth D8:1F:12:24:81:AC, status: Successful (0), rssi:0
May 13 18:05:44 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(559): eth5: Assoc D8:1F:12:24:81:AC, status: Successful (0), rssi:-89
May 13 18:05:45 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(530): eth5: Auth D8:1F:12:24:82:EC, status: Successful (0), rssi:0
May 13 18:05:45 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(559): eth5: Assoc D8:1F:12:24:82:EC, status: Successful (0), rssi:-92
May 13 18:05:45 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(530): eth5: Auth D8:1F:12:24:8F:6D, status: Successful (0), rssi:0
May 13 18:05:45 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(559): eth5: Assoc D8:1F:12:24:8F:6D, status: Successful (0), rssi:-90
May 13 18:05:49 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(494): eth5: Deauth_ind D8:1F:12:24:82:EC, status: 0, reason: Previous authentication no longer valid (2), rssi:-93
May 13 18:05:49 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(494): eth5: Deauth_ind D8:1F:12:24:82:EC, status: 0, reason: Previous authentication no longer valid (2), rssi:-93

All of these have the authorizations errors (494) in common. Anyone have a clue why this is happening?

Roon Core Machine

ROCK on NUC 10

Networking Gear & Setup Details

ASUS RT-AX3000

Connected Audio Devices

Phone, Android Auto, other remote devices for Roon ARC

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

I’ve tried with both UPnP and manual port forwarding. Here is what I get with UPnP:

{
“ipv4_connectivity”: {“status”:“NetworkError”,“status_code”:504,“error”:“error: Error: ETIMEDOUT, response code: undefined, body: undefined connected? undefined”},
“external_ip”: {“actual_external_ip”:“104.fff.ggg.hhh”,“actual_external_ipv6”:“null”,“router_external_ip”:“null”},
“natpmp_autoconfig”: {“status”:“NotFound”},
“upnp_autoconfig”: {“server_ip”:“192.168.2.1”,“found_upnp”:true,“error”:“doaction request return statuscode: UnknownError”}
}

As you can see UPnP is enabled and I have port forwarding setup for the IP address of the ROCK for port 55002 external & internal over TCP.

I get some 494 auth errors in the router log that appear to be coming when I do the Roon ARC test:
May 13 18:05:32 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(494): eth5: Deauth_ind D8:1F:12:24:82:EC, status: 0, reason: Previous authentication no longer valid (2), rssi:-92
May 13 18:05:32 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(494): eth5: Deauth_ind D8:1F:12:24:82:EC, status: 0, reason: Previous authentication no longer valid (2), rssi:-92
May 13 18:05:32 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(494): eth5: Deauth_ind D8:1F:12:24:82:EC, status: 0, reason: Disassociated due to inactivity (4), rssi:-92
May 13 18:05:35 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(511): eth5: Disassoc D8:1F:12:24:82:EC, status: 0, reason: Disassociated because sending station is leaving (or has left) BSS (8), rssi:0
May 13 18:05:36 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(494): eth5: Deauth_ind D8:1F:12:24:2E:93, status: 0, reason: Deauthenticated because sending station is leaving (or has left) IBSS or ESS (3), rssi:0
May 13 18:05:39 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(494): eth5: Deauth_ind D8:1F:12:24:81:AC, status: 0, reason: Deauthenticated because sending station is leaving (or has left) IBSS or ESS (3), rssi:0

Afaik, I have every possible setting that might block you disabled (firewall, auto-optimization, etc.) but none of that makes any difference in the results.

Any ideas for how I can proceed?

D

@Dean_Kimball, please don’t open multiple support threads on the same topic. Thanks.

Likewise, please provide answers to the questions in my original reply.

Router is ASUS RT-AX3000, no modem,
StarLink with LAN adapter & dedicated IP, Washington State
Roon tells me that ROCK is on 55002 and I have that forwarded in my (only) router.

I did include this info in my original post but didn’t realize you had missed it. My intention was not to double post, I misunderstood your request to tag support.

Many routers don’t like this. Do one or the other

Ok I finally got Roon to pass the Roon ARC test by disabling UPnP and just using port forwarding. I’m showing valid IPv4 & iPv6 addresses for my ROCK but when I try to connect while away Roon ARC is telling me that my ROCK is only configured for internal use. I assume this means I need to install the beta software on my ROCK and all my remotes right?

There’s no need to install a different version, as all support ARC. Does the Roon ARC tab under settings show “Ready”?

If you mean there’s no need to install different versions of the Roon software that’s not true if you’re running Starlink with IPv6. Since Starlink uses CGNAT only the new beta version allows Roon ARC to connect remotely.

I now have Roon ARC working just fine over Starlink without using a VPN. I posted instructions for doing this under Tinkering since there are quite a few steps involved.

No, it is correct. The Support category is for official releases, of which, there is only one version for ARC. If you’re using Early Access, you should post in Early Access.

The updates for IPv6 with ARC was included in the last production release:

Firstly and at long last, we’re releasing IPv6 network compatibility for ARC. This change should allow many users stranded by their internet service provider’s adaptation of the IPv6 address format to use ARC outside of their home WiFi. Please note that, much like port forwarding in the previous release of ARC, the expanded compatibility will function best on simple networks with standard configurations, and certain ISPs or router setups may still require additional steps or workarounds.

1 Like

I missed this announcement. Congratulations to the Roon development and support teams that made this release possible. This is a HUGE accomplishment for the entire team!

I’m testing on production now.

1 Like

Well, unfortunately only the early access build (1273) works for Starlink currently but the early access build has been rock solid for me. Until the next update, Starlink users just need to switch over to early access to make things work. I documented the instructions for making Starlink work without a VPN here.

Weird, as the production build would have a higher build number than the earlyaccess one - except for the hotfix in 1273 EA that only had changes for the play stats bug

When I set up for production I get 1272 and early access is 1273. I used the .bin instruction file from your support site - is there some newer instruction file for installing ROCK? I tried a bunch of stuff today and ARC refuses to connect on the production build but connects right away on EA. Let me know if I should be getting something higher than 1272 for the production build.

Exactly, these are the most recent ones. But the previous EA was 1268 and the only change in 1273, according to the release notes, was the attempted fix for the bug with play stats being zero. Therefore, naively I would expect that the ARC IPv6 stuff is the same in EA and production, but maybe not

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.