Roon ARC for Desktop / Laptop (Windows, Mac, Linux)

Indeed, but it incumbent on the developer to flip the switch. Lets hope Roon do so.

Agreed +1 for that – also can we have a version for iPad that uses the whole screen?

1 Like

+1 as well

+1! I would love to be able to access my Roon library at work via ARC on my Macbook. If this feature becomes a reality I can kiss plexamp goodbye!

2 Likes

Guys, if you want this to be a reality, don’t just +1…Actually vote for it :slight_smile:

Wait, you can vote? Huh. Learn something new every day. Thanks @Nepherte :slight_smile:

Consider moving votes to this desktop version thread for more impact (this has many more votes already): Roon ARC for Desktop / Laptop (Windows, Mac, Linux)

2 Likes

Good call @Axel_Bichler . Updated my original post so hopefully everyone does that.

Would it be possible to allow the iOS app to be installed to Mac OS so I could use ARC via my desktop? Being in the office and having to switch from work and music to calls and meetings means I can’t really use the phone app as I would have to be switching headphones all the time.

@Chris_Barnard, please search open Feature Suggestions to see if there’s a similar request already. Thanks.

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/roon-arc-for-macos/213863

it’s not looking likely - no developer affirmation in over a year regarding this.

I think a web version of ARC would be more useful. Then you could access your library from any operating system.

2 Likes

Perhaps I’m cynical, but I do not think your/our votes matter much to Roon. They read the suggestions, digest them, then go in their own direction. To think that they would be pushed in a particular direction by the sound of users’ voices is naive. After all, there are only a couple of dozen voices in these threads as compared to a 200K+ userbase.

Their product development path is well-developed and largely secret. It is disrupted primarily by software snafus.

2 Likes

I mostly agree with you, but they do chime in and update threads in some cases. This is the feature requests sorted by most votes.

Well, I am rooting for you. I gave up several years ago. Best wishes

Roon arc for laptop/desktop would be incredibly useful. I use a MacBook with an inline dac as my music player in another room. With arc on it I could have my entire library available to play in that room. As it is now, I would have to purchase a Roon ready streamer to be able to do that. Please consider that, Roon. It would be far more useful to me that using arc away from home, with all the attendant security risks. Cheers

You can stream your music to your laptop or desktop without Roon ARC. That’s what Roon does.

2 Likes

I am reviving/raising the topic of Roon ARC not available for notebooks at all, including Windows and Chrome OS. The most typical scenario is listening at work or during business trips/vacations, and most of the time I am using (sitting in front of) a Windows laptop/desktop or Chromebook anyway.

It would be considerably more convenient to be able to listen on a computer, which is already used for online meetings and has a good DAC and a pair of HiFi headphones connected!

• Chrome OS has native support for Android apps. One can install Roon ARC there, but it immediately crashes and doesn’t work.
  • Windows 11 also supports Android app installation via the Amazon app store, and many popular apps are available.

Why not add this long overdue functionality, especially given that no gimmicks are needed any longer: Android app support is already there! Just make it work on Windows 11 and Chrome OS.

This IS the future, when apps are multi-platform by design and can be run on any device one has. Moreover, given how sophisticated Roon deployments can be, and the price, I doubt that the target audience is represented by kids who use their smartphone 95% of the time… I assume that the majority of Roon users use computers on a regular basis for both work and leisure and prefer their bigger screens and much better sound quality…

2 Likes

Add your vote to the existing feature request

1 Like

yeah, i’m also confused by this…

have you downloaded the actual Roon app for your macbook? It becomes a remote control as well as an endpoint.