Roon ARC for Desktop / Laptop (Windows, Mac, Linux)

I agree. It doesn’t make sense that you can use it on an iPad Pro, but not on a Surface tablet. Also, what is the difference between a mobile device and a pc these days? Each mobile device is a fully capable mini computer, many times more powerful than pc’s from back in the day.

2 Likes

Was just about to ask about this. I want this as well.

Hi, Michael. Welcome to the forum!

As to the Surface tablet – it’s the software, not the hardware, which is indeed impressive. Unfortunately, it doesn’t run either Android or iOS, the two operating systems that dominate mobile computing. I suppose it wouldn’t make sense for Roon to spend money on such a small market share (about 11%). Even worse, targeting iOS and Android also covers phones, and there’s no market share for Windows phones.

1 Like

If you want it, vote for it. Top left corner

You might be able to run ARC on Surface with BlueStacks. See this.

1 Like

A desktop app for Roon ARC would indeed be desirable. For those having a static IP address and running a Roon core on a common Linux distro, there is the additional option of installing WireGuard on the system running the core.

When on the go I use WireGuard to connect to my home network and then I can access the core using the standard Roon app

1 Like

It has nothing todo with Linux…my Roon runs on a synology… I use WireGuard via Fritzbox router <-> macbook → easy access even in company networks :wink:

1 Like

Yes, as Anja_M mentions, Linux is not necessary to run WireGuard. It runs on all modern operating systems. I just mentioned Linux since this is (probably) the most common base OS for Roon cores.

Bluestacks is cool and all, but it just adds a layer of complexity (and resource usage) that I don’t necessarily want on a laptop.

Roon ARC for Windows, Mac & Linux should be a mandatory thing !!

2 Likes

Similar setup. VPN to the home network and Roon works fine remotely. An ARC app for the Mac would be good though.

Please guide me for VPN. Thank you very much. Roon can be opened but it only sees devices in the home network, not the PC connected via VPN

Setup a VPN Server / service on your home router, and then run a client on your phone. Then when traveling connect to the home-vpn, and open up Roon Arc on your phone, and that should be working fine.

What I have recently encountered is some hiccups in carplay connect where the Arc wouldn’t work, and then Carplay itself would disconnect from the car. After a couple of minutes of messing with Carplay connectivity - it would click - work and then so would Arc. Not sure whether it’s an Arc issue, or a Carplay issue. My idrive software recently had an update and so did my iphone. Then, I started having issues. Need to do more testing to see whether it’s an application issue or carplay or the idrive software for the car.

Any news from the Roon team on this? Do they ever implement suggestions from this forum?

2 Likes

I just voted in favor of this feature being added as well. I finally upgraded my router and now have access to ARC. Being able to access ARC on my MAC mini is far more important to me than on my mobile. I travel a great deal. In addition, I produce events where good wifi is available. I can’t give up my phone to broadcast music to the audience. I need to play music from my Mac Mini.

Is there anything new on this front?

Roon basically never comment on plans and what’s in development because invariably it makes people unhappy

How is this affected? I don’t get it

Any chance for the macOS (not iOS) Roon Remote client to be ARC enabled or have a dedicated ARC client? Would be nice to be able to use my Mac on the road and not be limited to my phone.

That said, ARC seems to work great on my iPhone. Definitely excited.

Edit: Everyone should vote for this feature here

1 Like

+1 for this. I’m using Roon ARC at work right now on my iPhone, but would much prefer if I could access Roon through my laptop.

FWIW Apple Silicon macs (i.e. M1/M2 chips etc.) can run Ipad/Iphone apps, I’d settle for an ipad app that runs on my laptop.