Roon ARC frequently pauses when playing tunes

<!‐-Include your operating system and machine info (Model, CPU, RAM)-‐>

My Core Roon version 2.0 (build 1182)
Intel NUC10FNH i7 with 16gb memory

Networking Gear & Setup Details

<!‐-Your network gear (model of routers/switches) and if on WiFi/Ethernet, are you using VPN-‐>

I have two routers, one in-use, one as a backup.
In use;
D-link DIR 1960 AV1900 Mesh Router
No VPN
Only mod in Port-Forwarding for Roon ARC

Backup router;
ZTE Home Gateway ZXHN H1600
No VPN
Only mod in Port-Forwarding for Roon ARC

Connected Audio Devices

<!‐-Specify what devices you’re using and their connection types, like USB/HDMI/Chromecast, etc.)-‐>
SOTM SMS 200 ULTRA via ethernet
CARY DMS-500 via ethernet
Bluesound Node2 via WiFi
2 Google Hub Screens via WiFi
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra with 1tb storage (phone A)
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra with 128gb storage (phone B)
both phones via WiFi and cellular primarily used for Roon ARC

Number of Tracks in Library

<!‐-Tell us how large your music library is, eg. “30,000 tracks”-‐>
84,000 tracks

Description of Issue

<!-‐Tell us about the problem you’re having in as much detail as possible. Screenshots are always appreciated!-‐>
I have no problems with Roon
The following is with Roon ARC only

Issue:
Regular pausing issue when using Roon ARC. Pausing suddenly appeared after the first month of having no issues.
Pausing occurred on both Streamed and Downloaded content.
The pausing was usually after a few minutes but was sometimes only seconds between pausing. Playing downloaded content is usually my preferrence.
Pausing usually would stayed paused but occasionally it would pause for a secong then resume.
Also the issue is experienced whether using cellular or WiFi connectivity. I have never had this issue on my phone if using Roon, Tidal or Qobuz directly only with Roon ARC.

Method 1
Resetting Roon Core didn’t fix it.

Method 2
“X Reset Roon ARC” didn’t fix it.

Method 3
Uninstalling Roon ARC from the phone then rebooting then reinstalling Roon ARC then rebooting a second time (yeah extra measure because one reboot didn’t work) didn’t fix it
but it was less frequent where I could play a whole album before another pause. Eventually it became more frequent.

But there’s more.
My phone is a Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra with 1tb storage (phone A).
I dragged out an spare Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra with 128gb storage (phone B) that hadn’t been used for months. Roon ARC was playing fine on phone B untill today 18 Dec 2022 after a new Roon ARC update was installed.
Now phone B has the same issue as phone A.

@Ed_Puric, I have moved your post to the #support thread.

It would be really helpful if you would complete the support template below.

Roon Core Machine

<!‐-Include your operating system and machine info (Model, CPU, RAM)-‐>
<!‐-Write below this line-‐>

Networking Gear & Setup Details

<!‐-Your network gear (model of routers/switches) and if on WiFi/Ethernet, are you using VPN-‐>

Connected Audio Devices

<!‐-Specify what devices you’re using and their connection types, like USB/HDMI/Chromecast, etc.)-‐>

Number of Tracks in Library

<!‐-Tell us how large your music library is, eg. “30,000 tracks”-‐>

Description of Issue

<!-‐Tell us about the problem you’re having in as much detail as possible. Screenshots are always appreciated!-‐>

Including these details in your first post helps resolve your issues faster.

As an experiment, I asked a friend to install Roon ARC on his Samsung Galaxy S20 Note and then hooked into my Roon core. He has told me he has not experienced the pausing issue.
This suggests the issue is with my model phone. Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra and not my Roon core.
This is frustrating is that I have two S22 Ultra phones, both having the pausing issue BUT no one else has reported this issue.
I’m at a loss for an logical answer.

@Ed_Puric Curiously, my issue (see the ARC 130 doesn’t solve playback errors on Android), which I have since I installed ARC, in which ARC stops at the end of each streamed track (Tidal and Qobuz. My content is fine) on lossy formats (cellular balanced, balanced optimized or auto) and originates a playback error message, is on a Samsung device (galaxy note 8).

I installed ARC on my daughter’s phone to test (a much cheaper OPPO phone) and I get no issues.

Even the pesky bug in which ARC overlaps android’s navigation controls, which forces me to tap the screen twice to be able to interact with ARC (which is great when driving :roll_eyes:), happens on my Galaxy and not in her OPPO.

I wonder if ARC has compatibility issues with Samsung phones…?

Thanks Pedro
My issue with ARC happens on both steamed and downloaded content.
When ARC was initially released, I had no issues for around a month, then, something changed.
I have no idea if there was a ARC or phone update that may have caused this issue.
I am surprised that no one else has reported this issue.
To eliminate one possibility, I’m considering rebuilding my Linux based NUC and restarting from scratch.

@Ed_Puric

In my case, I doubt it has anything to do with the NUC - Core - itself, otherwise all phones would have the same issue, and they don’t. I think these are problems with ARC itself.

But I’m in the same boat as you. I doubt my issues aren’t more widespread - in fact, I’m sure that there other users reporting the same problems - ARC stops playing suddenly (midtrack or at the end of a track).

I don’t have any issues whatsoever, with Roon remote.

I’m sure these are all related to specific brand / model smartphones.

After no further progress to this problem, I decided to factory reset my second phone and rebuilding it with no further Android updates, and no extra installed apps and features.
So last night Roon ARC was the only extra app installed. I set Roon ARC to play continuously overnight and it did indeed play continuously overnight. Yay!
My intention is now to update the Android software. Then see if the issue is re-introduced.
If not, then update Roon ARC to the latest version. Then see if the issue is re-introduced.
If not, then update the phone with third-party apps. Then see if the issue is re-introduced.
Hopefully this may zero-in on what is causing the pausing issue.
Watch this space.

A month later my second phone is still going well with Roon ARC. No pauses what so ever.
My main phone which I couldn’t reset because of my work’s security software is still the same, meaning it still pauses frequently. I did remove whatever apps I could but nothing helped.
One day I’ll get to resetting it

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.