Roon ARC goes black after a while

Roon Core Machine

AMD Threadripper 1950X
64GB RAM

Networking Gear & Setup Details

AmpliFi Alien

Connected Audio Devices

iBasso DX300 (Android 9) with RoonARC 1.0(74)

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

After a bit of time the Roon ARC app will go black when returning to it if your screen turns off or you switch to another app and come back. The timing isn’t consistent but I have seen as little as 3 minutes. The only way to get it back to normal is to close the app and reopen it.

Please give the details of the smartphone that you have installed Roon ARC on (hardware/software). Thanks.

I put it there under connected audio devices. It’s not a smartphone but an dedicated digital audio player. It’s an iBasso DX300 running android version 9 and Roon ARC version 1.0(74).

Hey @Jeffery_Conners,

It’s great to see you on the Roon Community! You have my sincerest apologies for the delayed response here, we’ve been dealing with a higher-than-usual volume following our release and we’re working as quickly as we can to get back to everyone.

Following up on this thread, I wanted to check in on this thread to see if you experience this issue on any iOS or Android devices as well? Or, is it just with your iBasso? Does this happen when streaming content from your local library, or does it occur when streaming content from Qobuz/Tidal?

I’ll be on standby for your reply :+1:

I don’t have any iOS devices but I do have other Android ones and I do not experience the same problem on them, just the iBasso. It is happening when streaming content from my local library. I don’t have a streaming service that Roon supports so I don’t know if it happens with that as well.

Hey @Jeffery_Conners,

Thanks for the above information. After further investigation, we’re seeing numerous reports of memory errors with the iBasso. Can you please confirm the RAM on the device?

With a library of 765K tracks, this could certainly play a role in why Arc is acting up after some time. If you’d like to test this further, I would look at setting up a smaller temporary library size and see if you encounter similar issues.

The iBasso has 6GB of RAM. It does appear to be a memory issue though but not a OOM one. It seems to freeze when ARC uses up a certain amount. My other device has 6GB as well but doesn’t experience this issue so it’s just on the iBasso. I tried setting up a smaller library and didn’t notice the issue right away but after switching back to my main library it hasn’t been happening either. ARC is using less RAM in general now but over the course of the past few days it has been increasing in average RAM usage, so it might just take a while of use before the issue occurs.

Hey @Jeffery_Conners,

You have my apologies that we haven’t yet pinned down the culprit behind these Arc issues. We’re still spending a good amount of time investigating things. We do have confidence around the idea of Arc struggling to decode large amounts of higher res files, but things are still murky.

I will of course keep you in the loop as we continue to deep dive into this issue :pray:

I appreciate the help with it. As a bit of an update it has started to occur again on my main roon database and I don’t know if this helps but monitoring the memory usage of the app, it seems to freeze at about 4GB usage. In case this is helpful as well here is a dump of the memory usage via adb at the time. Memory Dump

I will try and make a smaller library again and run it for a week or so and see if I can reproduce it on there as well.

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.