Roon Arc resampling on Android Tablet (with USB-driver enabled)

Roon Core Machine

Intel NUC 32GB 512GB SSD

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Lenovo Tablet P10 32GB TB-X70SF running Android 9.0

Connected Audio Devices

Cambridge Audio 815N Fiio M11 Plus Hiby FC4, FiiO KA5

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

See attacbed jpg on any phone i own it’s lossless

I’m not sure if this will help…as you appear to be using signal processing these articles might answer your question…

Yes! The strange thing is I’m really not but it looks like I am.

I don’t understand? Your source is a lossless flac file, what do you think the problem is?

It’s not losless just as indicated by Roon. It’s “Verbaterd” in english “High Quality” but not lossless. It is also indicated that bitdepth is converted to 64bit and back again to 24bit. Strange and completely unnecessary. This behaviour is only occuring on my tablet. On my phones Oneplus 9 Pro, Sony Xperia 5 MKII this does not occur. On these devices the stream is left unmodified by Roon Arc. There it’s handled the right way. It should be like this.

The stream is lossless which is defined by your source files/stream, there is additional processing (as you mention) so that stage is indicated by a different status (High Quality) & colour indicator, the stream is still lossless.

With reference to the bitdepth conversions, I think a read of the following thread might be helpful…

The behaviour is simply not consistent across Android devices. On Phones it goes right on my tablet not… one should be able to rely on the end result being the same in streaming to Android devices. This is simply not the case

Unfortunately I don’t have access to android devices, @support will need to assist, sorry i can’t help…

Hi, @Bennard_van_Diermen, thank you for you post.

In your first screenshot, the overall signal path quality is Enhanced and not Lossless because Volume Levelling is involved and it is enhancing your listening experience. For the same reason, to apply volume levelling, you have the bit depth conversion 24bit64bit Float present in the Signal Path. The default volume levelling setting is Auto but you can disable it via the MUSE screen in case you do not need it.

The second screenshot which you took while using your phone does not have volume levelling enabled and the Signal Path remains Lossless. That said, your device have different MUSE settings that is why the overall Signal Path quality is different.

Thanks!

Ivan

Hi Ivan,

Indeed but strange that my phone didn’t had this enabled and my tablet did… Both devices are left default on this setting.On the Tablet ARC is installed only 2 weeks ago. On the Phone somewhere in march this year.

Thanks

Thank you for your reply, @Bennard_van_Diermen, are all of your devices running the latest production build of Roon ARC?

Thanks!

Ivan

Hi Ivan,

Yes, they all have the latest Roon Arc, Roon Core OS and Roon Remote. I’m very punctual on that. :wink:

Kind regards,

Bennard

Hi @ivan while my knowledge of DSP is limited, my understanding was that “high quality” generally indicates that additional processing is taking place which is still a lossless process.
For example, referring to roon help, DSP Volume (and the Green indicator) “There’s nothing wrong with this: Features like this also bring great value! We are just trying to keep things honest.”

Have I misunderstood to situation?

Thanks in anticipation.

Hi, @PixelPopper, it is correct, yes. High Quality stages are going to appear when the app is doing automatic upsampling or downsampling to match devices capabilities, for example. In this case, though, the overall quality is Enhanced since volume levelling is applied and it enhances listening experience.

@Bennard_van_Diermen, thank you for the reply. By any chance, did you change your volume levelling setting on your phone/tablet? I just wanted to clarify that my theory is the behaviour you are observing at the moment is happening due to the fact that you have differnt volume levelling settings on these devices. Could you please, check what do you see on MUSE screen → Volume Levelling?

Thanks!

Ivan

Okay thanks for the confirmation, i’ll sleep easier tonight :grin:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.